Drunken Octopus Coffee

I recently designed a concept coffee brand as a side project, stemming from an idea I’ve always had for a fun little cafe. Eventually, it came around to a small line of blended, iced coffee drinks. I created an icon, packaging, and voice to reflect the irreverent nature of the flavor combos. The concept was featured this morning on The Dieline’s “Concepts We Wish Were Real” (http://www.thedieline.com/blog/2016/8/15/conceptswewishwerereal), so I thought I’d share it with you guys.

"y’all take coffee so seriously

Mixing water and ground up coffee beans is not a sacred ritual. People these days might as well be drinking all those fancy schmancy pour-overs with their pinkies in the air.

Have a little fun. Try something new. Break the rules. We have our hands (or…um…tentacles, I guess) in all the wrong places. Our brains are busy doing more important things. Lighten up, and enjoy one of our kooky coffee concoctions."

This post seems more like an advertisement than a request for design feedback…

Gotta say the branding, logo and packaging all look like something I would buy for my 7-year-old. I don’t know that I would think coffee at first glance, and I get that this is what you are going with by saying “y’all take coffee so seriously”, but I am not sure it will translate to a product that coffee consumers will feel compelled to purchase.

All the design and branding aside, it will all come down to how well this coffee tastes. I have a general rule that everything tastes better with bacon, but I am not too sure about these flavor combinations.

Fun stuff Jeff, thanks for posting it here. I get what Architecture is bluntly saying, the branding feels young… but I think if that is what you are going for, then I don’t see the issue with it. Think of the other big coffee brands. Starbucks? What does a mermaid have to do with coffee? Blue Bottle? What does a blue bottle have to do with coffee? Stump town? Sure they are from Portland, but most people don’t know the nickname that came from clear cutting over a hundred years ago… Architotrure, seems you are being a bit overly literal no?

Regardless, the presentation of the idea is very nice. Well done visuals.

Also, I dig those Ashworth Leucadia shoes on your site!

Thanks for the feedback, Yo and Architorture. It was definitely intended to be far to the young, and slightly odd, side. I tend to use side projects as vents for areas that, for whatever reason, I’m not getting enough of at the time. This time around, I just needed to create something to put a smile on my face. A kind of personal design therapy, I guess.

[ Deleted ]

I love the idea!
And I am completely in for these flavors.
I demand the coffee be served from a tentacle carousel.

I would change the word drunken to something like:

• occassional
  • morning
  • mad/bad