drug screening...

i was actually just wondering at what point did it become common practice for companies to mandate drug tests immediatly after job offers are given. I dont want to get into whether or not drugs are good or bad, but really what right do these places have to make me piss in a cup for them. Its like roll over doggie, speak doggie, piss is this doggie… i mean at least give me a fucking please.

I am assuming that you are applying to a large corporation…since I have never heard of a small business being concerned with such things.

If that is the case, a drug test is just the tip of the iceberg. Prepare yourself for a myriad of red tape, tedious paperwork, and rules that make no sense. That is how corporations typically like to do things (IMO) - they cover their asses whenever possible which sucks the life out of just about anything.

Also, if you can’t pass a drug test for them - then you are probably not a good fit for their company culture anyway.

Corporations aren’t all that bad. Just take your f-ing drug test (you’re only gonna have to do it once), sign up for your insurance and all that, and start collecting those paychecks.

I disagree about large corporations not being places where drug users can fit in. Some of the bigggest dopeheads, coke-fiends, and pill-poppers I have ever met work in very large corporations where it is incredibly easy to fly below the radar and not be noticed. You just have to be clean for your drug test.

It’s not that hard to do man.

People know that design is chalked full of weirdos, drug users / pushers and the like. That’s all part of this art game. Play it and you will be just as successful as that guy who smokes coke behind the studio during the lunch hour.

Consider yourself lucky.

thats the sort of assumption that they are lead by and what i consider to be incorrect. however, what i really want to know is when did it become okay and on what premise do these companies stand behind that tells that they have a right to this sort of information. i just feel it is an invasive procedure. its unfortunate that some dipshit with no self control has to ruined it for the rest of us.

i guess this is kind of one of those questions best left for the high school debate team, but ehh its a fucking pain in the ass.

I think you are missing my point. If you already do not like the practices of a company (in this case, because of a drug test) then why do you think that you would be a good fit there? obviously they want you to do something that you are not comforable with - why would you want to work for a place like that?

when did it become okay and on what premise do these companies stand behind that tells that they have a right to this sort of information.

A corporation has every right to keep whatever company it wants or employ whoever it wants (provided they meet some arbitrary race / gender quotas buts thats a whole other discussion) If you don’t like the way they do business, don’t work there. That is how you exercise your right to privacy. But if you wanna be on thier team, then you gotta play by their rules. It’s only fair.

Dude, so what you gotta lay off the ganja for a couple of weeks. Is that going to totally ruin your life???

A buddy once asked me if he should refuse the drug test or not.

I wondered if he had actually listened to himself. If you refuse the test, you’ve admitted your use. End of interview. Why not try and get around testing positive and beat the system.

remember that if you pass the test, a couple of weeks later your hitt’n the 'erb, you go into the shop the next morning carving out some foam on the sander or band saw, you cut yourself, you go to hospital, the company has the right and probably WILL drug test you again because of your injury (even if this is not mentioned in the ‘employee handbook’, and you don’t really want to question this scenario, i have seen it happen to someone who was subsequently fired)

1st of all, people that are “burnt” always deny the fact.

2nd, I wouldn’t want to be operating any kind of equipment that might remove an appendage(lathe, mill, band saw) after a night of partying.

Considering the fact that Europeans drink on thier lunch break, the whole thing is hypocritical if you ask me, but then again, I’m self-emloyed.

Here’s the deal. If they want you to piss in a cup, and you’re cool with working for a company that asks people to piss in a cup, then good.

If you have good reason not to piss in a cup, and they want you to, then you probably won’t want to be there anyways. Or you won’t last because of the cultural clash.

If you’re hungry, you shouldn’t be spending your time and money on things that say “no pass” when you piss in a cup.

If you’re critical about the policy, then find an employer who will roll one while you’re interviewing. Been there - that job wasn’t so hot either…

If you want to go the straight route, tell 'em you smoke/use. Sometimes that’ll throw such an unexpected curve that the earnestness is appreciated and its no issue.

Whatever way, curb the rant. It tells me that you might not be as professional as I would need you to be in front of colleagues and clients.

:slight_smile: You’ll learn soon, young grasshopper.

Whatever way, curb the rant. It tells me that you might not be as professional as I would need you to be in front of colleagues and clients.

This brings up an interesting and obvious point. Blazin’ glory can rant all he wants, and realist will never know who he is… he can be the slick kid interviewing next week, or the pot head we fired last week.

Core effectively recreates the ’ piss on the toilet bowl seat’ syndrome, where anytime you have more than 2 people sharing a toilet, someone will always piss on the rim, and no one takes credit - core is a great way to state your opinion or test a stupid theory with little or no conseqence.

Rant on young man, rant on… :smiley:

Looks like Deez is at it again.

Hold on as we take a ride to the land of “Rhymes and Riddles”.

I’m not deez :open_mouth:

Take the test dude!..if you pass, then you can affored the expensive buddah with red hairs and crystals in it ( i.e. nothern lights).

If you fail, the company might push you through the system anyways…especially if you have the talent! They will just make you go to some BS counseling or something to cover their arses in da long run.

Also, you may want to try to fail it on purpose. If you still get hired, you can brag to your buds that you are so darn talented that they waved the drug screeen for you.

Or, you could be clean and admit usage. Then when they don’t hire you, say that they lied about your usage and are slandering your good name. and take the test clean.

just have fun with it!

Core effectively recreates the ’ piss on the toilet bowl seat’ syndrome, where anytime you have more than 2 people sharing a toilet, someone will always piss on the rim, and no one takes credit - core is a great way to state your opinion or test a stupid theory with little or no conseqence.

Excellent, excellent point. From my pov, its not necessarily productive to run around the world seeking agreement on such issues. I still stand with my original point.

A little buzz on the way into work, roll one at lunch, try to function in the afternoon, the day wears on, need another hit at break, gotta work late to make the deadline, running out of energy, need another hit to get back in the game … ad nauseum.

Been there, done all that, finally managed to get over it …

Drug test or no drug test, I don’t want you’re spaced out ass working with me … Why? Because you’re not giving a hundred percent to your co-workers and most importantly, your employer.

And if you only knew how silly you look to a client.

What a stupid thread. Don’t want the job? Then don’t piss in the cup, nobody’s putting a gun to your head, and i’m sure there’s plenty of other designers who’d love an offer right now and it wouldn’t bother them in the least. You sir, are a douchebag.

I pee in cups all the time and nobody ever wants them. If somebody like an employer would like a cup-o’-pee than I’d be more than happy to oblige.

9 times out of 10 they are asking you to pee in a cup because their insurance policy demands it, especially if they have a machine shop or some kind of build area with tools. They don’t care about your personal life.

They just don’t want to deal with you when you cut off your hand on a table saw and blame it on their lack of safety when it was really because you were too stoned to know what you were doing.