drawing skills?

I am going to enter an ID program as a freshman, and I just wanted to know about how good most freshmans drawing skills tend to be. I am alright at perspective drawing of objects, but i could use wome work on drawing humans and animals. Just wanted to know if its more important be good at color/compositions, or technical drawing.

I wouldn’t worry about it too much as a freshman, just make sure you are a sponge your first year and soal up as many differant techniques as possible so that you can expand on them and find your own style in your upper classmen years.

What school?

I agree with YO but also understand that sketching for ID isn’t as much of how great your sketchs are but how well you can express your idea. Anyone can draw a pretty picture its harder to explain your idea on paper. Also work on how fast you can bang out your sketchs. A sketch should take no more than 15 to 20 min tops.

This is the guest from above who started this thread.

In answer to your question yo. I am not sure what school to go to. location is important to me, but i also want to go to a school that will allow me to take some non-design based classes (specifically to continue my Japanese Lang.) and some others i might want to take. I would like to go to school in: Boston, San Fran, San diego, santa barbara, Rhode Isl., or some other spot with a good art/ music scene. I have been searching through some of your threads, and they have been helpfull,but i’m still not sure where to go. If you have the time maybe you could suggest some schools that meet my criterea. I’d appreciate the help.

Any school that offers ANY kind of officia degree will have you take elective classes. Yes that includes Math and Science and language classes.

I agree with YO but also understand that sketching for ID isn’t as much of how great your sketchs are but how well you can express your idea. Anyone can draw a pretty picture its harder to explain your idea on paper. Also work on how fast you can bang out your sketchs. A sketch should take no more than 15 to 20 min tops.

This is true however the person whose scetches look better gets the job… period.
So work on scetching ALL THE TIME.

To get into a good college you gotta have skills.
You know, like nunchuck skills, bowhunting skills, Sketching skills, modeling skills, brainstorming skills, computer hacking skills… Colleges only want people who have great skills.

If you want the opportunity to take other non-design classes then find a good university program. Also, I went to CCS for a little bit, and they farm out some design program requirements to Wayne state (or did). There’s no reason that you can’t find a design school with a neighboring school that offers classes that fill certain graduation requirements, it can be logistically a little troubling, but CCS seemed to work with students in that regard.

As far as your sketching skills alot of high school students have traditional skills that they learned in their high school art classes. If you did well in these then you should have no problems. “ID sketching” is a bit different than traditional art sketching, but many of the same principles apply. Best of luck to you, work hard, you’re gonna need to.

I’ve always thought that to be a designer(of any sort) one must have good drawing skills. When I went to college, I found that it isn’t true. However, having great sketching skills allows you to express yourself better, and people tend to put their eyes on your ideas. That puts you over the others. Whether you are a good designer or not, will take some time to tell.

I guess I will compare it to a girl. Designer who have good sketching is like a hot looking girl. Designer with good ability to resolve problems is like a girl with nice personality. It’s best if you can have both qualities.

Also, I find that the better you can sketch, the better you can see your idea, and the better you are able to develop it. I’m a very visual person, so text doesn’t work for me.