Drawing Shoes In Perspective? (Proportion, Degree, etc.)

Hi guys, Thanks for the advice!

‘dblaveino and billymenut’ cheers for the advice, i used to use layout paper, but stopped as one of my lecturers said it was better to get your drawing right in the first place, but i think your correct, i’ll have a go that way and try and improve my perspective and accuracy.

I like what you mean when you say ‘remember where your light is going to be hottest then you can leave a space white’ i have never thought of it in terms of heat, seem slike an easier way to imagine where and where not to render.
When you say use a pen do you mean biro or another type?

billymenut, for those drawings did you use layout paper or do them in one hit?

What sort of Paper sizes are you guys using? i thinik i have been working to small which may be hindering me somewhat?

Thanks again Felix

Hey Guys,
I thought it’s best that I post this here. I like to add grid lines to my perspective drawings so I can have shape reference when I go to draw the actual shoe design in a particular view. These drawings have been done for personal use and this is why the grid is not consistent on each shoe, I’ll try to remember to use same line output. I find it interesting as to how a subtle curvature here and a little mass decrease there makes all of the difference.

I hope this helps,
r2

Edited:
Here is the first pass on the rear view. I’m getting ready to vector this so it will go through a few minor changes during the process. Below is the image I did of the side in vector.
Laced_V2.jpg
100_0550.jpg

rocsta-

your enthusiasm for design is great! i fully understand your situation as i too found my way into product. i came from a fine art background with graphic experience and ended up an assistant to an ID team for a very large electronics company. i was able to learn from th best and eventually got the opportunity to design. i don’t want to get your hopes up as this is very rare. especially these days with ID becoming a more popular degree choice. my advice to you is to make it easier on yourself and start going to school! this field is incredibly competitive and skills alone don’t get you jobs… networking and a degree from a solid school, and time in as a junior at a leading consultant all are needed to get a decent job.

as far as your drawing skills go… i did have a little bit of an advantage since i came from a fine art background. i know drawing fruit on a table isn’t fun, but that isn’t the point. it’s an excercise in space. notice that in junglebrodda’s vid of the high heel shoe, he adds the cast shadow. this is first year drawing at any college to show the ground plane. without it you will have that problem you talked about with the angle of the heel. when you show where the heel hits the table, the viewer can understand your goal.

this is very basic, but in addition to doing overlays, i recommend that you think in 3d. draw a rectangle in perspective and draw it’s center lines. then using elipses, draw the skeleton of your show. it will look kind of like a wireframe in cad. it can also benefit you when you go to marker by hand or paint wacom. you can leave those lines in to help the viewer understand the form better. someone else mentioned that a good designer can draw anything. this is true- shoes shouldn’t be easier than cars. my only other advice to you is… ID isn’t just about drawing- lot’s of people can draw. lots of people can also kick butt in 3d and rendering. what you need to get great at above all else is concept ideation. what sets the best designers apart from others is their ability to come up with good ideas. you started your post by saying that you are so much worried about results as you are the process. results are the most important. we are after all designing products for other people. if it’s the process you like, them you might want to thing about illustration of visualization.