Does your school teach business side in Design world?

Does your school teach business side in Design world?
What are the courses and what did you learn from the class?
Do you think learn to understand the business is important to all designers or just to some people?

Business, Design, Ergonomics and Engineering.
How much is enough to work in the major ID companies as a designer?

I think having an understanding of some of the key concepts would be helpful.

“how much is enough” may depend on your goals in that firm, and how the firm is structured. It is, after all, a business.

Business courses can also give you another perspective that could give you an edge.

The more you become responsible for teams or find yourself accountable to people who are constrained by a budget, the more the business courses would be helpful.

A marketing course would be at the top of the list. Depending on your area of specialization, you may want to take more specialized marketing courses.

Also:

Organizational management
economics
business operations

I would also recommend going as far in math and writing as you can fit in your schedule.

If you have the opportunity to work with business students on a collaborative project, that might give you some additional insight.

I’m just finishing a B.S. in Business, and the program at my school emphasises working in teams. Every course has at least one group project (usually eqivalent to mid-term or final.) This has been more relavent that cramming books, since the material gets covered either way.

TF

does Pratt?

Yes we have one class that is for grad students-and for some undergrads with permission.
It is a business/market/design research class that eventually lead you into the business plan with multiple leading products.
As result, we build our conceptual yet planned company of our choice to build our marketing strategies and also some prototypes as well.

The professor is one of my favorite who has lots real world design experiences.

We have human factors class and science & tech class. It depends on which instructor you take. There is also a business practices class which I haven’t taken.

We had one module in the third year about setting up your own business, then another one in final year about IP and product development and innovation etc. Useful yes. boring yes. Hard to keep interested even though you know it will be useful in the future.

I had two classes that were business related.

1. Materials and Processes - this taught us how to source the materials needed for projects, how to determine the right parts and materials, how to calculate costs, etc.

2. Legal Aspects of Business - This was an undergrad law class (not fine arts) that dealt mostly with looking up information on court cases, and learning about tort law and how you need to structure a business to to account for things like product liability, accidental injury, etc. Good overview.

I wish they taught us more but that was really it, everything else was sketching and modeling.