Does your firm take interns?

Do most firms take students as interns? If so, what kind of things are they looking for in applicants? What kind of work do they do around the studio? What have been your best/ worst experiences with interns? What is the best way to get hired/not get hired for an internship position? When you were just starting out what kind of internships did you have and how did they effect your career? I have many more questions but you’ll probably get annoyed if I list them all.

i think getting a masters degree is better than internship any given day. go to a free school like umea.

You’re kidding right. Even master’s candidates do internships these days.

no i’m not.

whoa whoa whoa reel it back in there. I can tell you categorically that getting an undergrad AND grad degree in ID can be a shot in the foot. If you do get a Masters make sure that you have a degree that is related to ID like Design research, ergonomics, psychology etc: but not ID - that just looks like you cant get a job.

as far as interns- my company relies on internships to get legwork done - and test out potential employees. It is essential to get someone who fits in and can hit the road running. I was an intern myself and got a lot of design opportunity.

Typically we ease our interns in depending on their skill level. Typical progression can be PS work for 1 week to 4 weeks, then progress to details or working with a staff designer to do form/big idea development. If an intern is particularly skilled, trained (by us) or motivated he/she can design production parts (of the entire concept) by the end of a 6 month internship.
This is really just a ball park, depending on how busy it gets and the motivation of the individual.

The worst kind of intern is the one that is not interested. It is always a joy to have an intern who is genuinely happy to work with us and wants to learn. Even better when you learn a thing or two from the design intern.

yeah i can see why so many people shoot themselves in the foot.

Why do you shoot youself in the foot, dude? As a desing loser can you tell us your sad story so no one has to repeat your mistakes? Thanks! You rawk! :slight_smile:

come on now. I have a genuine question. Didn’t think it was that controversial a topic…

All right… My answer might not be most accurate, but it’s from what I see interning in a few places.
Most Design Firm do take Interns but always depend on the firm’s budget. Depending on where u work, your responsibility can be different. Some Company had me to do a project that obviously never put in production. But they put a lot of money and effort to train us and make our model worth a million… Some company let me touch up some of their real project. Some company made me clean their studio and buy breakfast…
My first internship was in a Hugh company and I got pay very well, breakfast was served and transportation, housing were included.
Second internship was about the same, so I decided to go oversea on my third internship.
It’s hard to say which one was better because I learn different things in each internship that was valuable to me. I do have to say, going to another country for internship was probably the best since I was in a city surround by interesting culture and great food. I also met some friends that I can really count on. Sometimes It not just about how much you earn but how much you gain on a life experience level.
As far as how to get hire… I never had to worry about that because school had a job fair type of thing where I get few internship offers to choose from each year. The oversea internship, I got it by sending out portfolio sample to places that I am interested in. I suggested that if your school don’t have job fair, that might be the best way to go.
Good luck and have fun!

Even for ufo, this is a stupid statement. That should give you some idea of the severity of it’s stupidness.

A lot of firms offer interniships but they differ greatly in responability and pay (if any) as mentioned above. I think the one commonality is that most firms respect the go-getter. The last firm I worked for had kind of a follow up policy with interns. If they didn’t follow up twice, they where not getting a call back. Simply because it was a small, very busy firm, with no time for someone who didn’t want it bad enough. Many firms don’t actively seek interns, but if someone makes themselves available they may consider it.

Big companies have elaborate internship programs with salaries, living stipends, furnished apartments, and airfare tickets. A firm is not going to be able to afford that. It might help to consider what you can offer them. Are you local? Can you make yourself local? Can you work hourly in case work dries up? Are you skilled at putting together presentation boards and doing all of those little tasks that are a big deal in a firm? No matter where you go you will get valuable experience, learn from practicing proffessionals, maybe get some real projects to work on, and at the very least get a gleaming new line on yor resume.

If a company or firm has two leading candidates of equivalent skill, one with a masters and NO experience, the other with 2-3 internships, they are picking the person with the internships 99 times out of 100… at least. Having befreinded a few recruiters, corporate and independent, it seems like this is a pretty good standard.

i think internship is stupid because you won’t learn anything that you won’t learn in the first two weeks-two months of any job and you won’t get paid either.

on the contrary focusing on your skills in school, developing a sense of direction for your folio and researching about the industry/industries you are interested in will give you the greatest advantage not only in utilizing the fullest academic potential but will provide you with a backbone that’s difficult to break.

a lot of designers come out of schools get jobs leave the field of design after a couple of years because they can’t deal with the competition out there from the people who got masters and have better organizational skills.

the only people who succeed in the field of design setting long term goals today who don’t have a masters degree are those who already have another degree and go to schools like art center or have an mba. even not all of those will eventually get what they want because talent and skill is hard to come by for good design.

design firms have learned this the hard way as i have noticed recently a lot of them ask for a masters degree specially the better known firms/companies/and organizations. why? for several reasons:

1-the quality of education has gone down hill since more and more educaters are facing financial problems and therefore not able to afford professional instructors in assigned fields. maters fills that gap.

2-companies increasingly rely on education rather than training because the envirnment is fast paced and requires a greater degree of flexibility and knowledge, while training is not only unproductive but also has proven to be against the flow. it used to be that they were interested in talent but nowdays since everything is virtually all generic and standardized it doesn’t make sense to search for individuals who will be responsible for the process right from beginning. that mode of thinking is becoming obsolete since most companies have come to realize that it’s better to hire a better versed individual short term than a potential designer long term.

3-having a masters degree shows you have greater interest in specializing your field and are willing to be different from other students who are content with lack of it.

4-competition from overseas requires a better understanding of the process for streamlining business and production.

5- in a global network of industries a person with higher educational skills is more benficial for training and communication with the other counterparts. specially if they have taken time to learn a couple of languages.

I have been on core long enough tosee UFO say a lot of things i don’t agree with, and try to never get into online arguments because it’s just a waste of time, but seriously dude. WHY DO YOU INSIST ON CLOWNING YOURSELF SO OFTEN? What do you do in life besides give terrible advice every single time the oppurtunity arises?

On to the question:

Everyone uses an “intern” of some kind whether it’s paid only through experience or low wages for production work. There are plenty of low level/part time jobs available deppending on what your standards are. Do you want a big name on your resume or do you want to bust your ass doing production work for a no name but get a lot of experience and a little change while your at it?

I personally have never worked unpaid but took every “job” i could get that would give me experience.

Going through college my roomate and i took opposite paths he took unpaid jobs at huge firms while i took paid gruntwork at no names, but we both busted our respective asses and learned as much as we could from our experiences and the final outcome was similar, both of us scored dream jobs once we graduated, his employer was impressed with the companies he worked with previously (and his level of talent) my employer impressed with my working knowledge of the industry (and i hope my level of talent).

I am now in the position to hire “interns” and i don’t, or at least i Say i don’t, i hire students at a decent wage to do prep work, production work, and even design work if the oppurtunitty arises if you want to call it an internship fine but i call it a part time job. People have offered to work for free but i won’t allow it, if i need someone i pay them other wise there is just another body in the small space we have.

My list of essential knowledge for beginners:

PHOTOSHOP

Illustrator

Modelmaking abilities (at a minimum be able to mix epoxy without getting it all over everything in my shop)

Willing to attempt any task (i’ll show you what to do first, but don’t give me any “i’m affraid of the table saw” crap)

there’s my two cents

3-having a masters degree shows you have greater interest in specializing your field and are willing to be different from other students who are content with lack of it.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH it shows a lot of other things too.

Peeps givin industry advice should show industry dezign or stfu.

peeps who post inflammatory comments and want to be seen as more than a troll should create some kind of account, sign in, and stop hiding behind anonymity.

also

I am done with this thread

i wasn’t argueing. i just gave my opinion and i know my opinions are not interesting for some people. but i don’t really think it matters because eventually most people will do what they like to do, and not what i post here.

well i guess bryan is done with this thread but i will explain why he thinks i’m clowning since he opened it up to other subjects i have replied to and he has problems with it.

i’m definitely not clowning around. all of the things i recommend and say about design, school, work, etc are sincere and i have no intention of disorienting anyone out of their seats.

but some people take it as if we are tied to our seats with chains and locks inside this sacred studio of design and we only have to look to the screen in front of us provided by a very well thought of industry. if we break the chains and get up and look out a window that’s a crime or clowning around.

well that’s not true. most innovative movements in history of architecture and design were done by people who took different paths from others. from the early cavemen who developed tools to draw on cavewalls like paint from animal blood mixed with tints, pigments, charcoal to artists and sculptors of ancient world who chisled things out of stone, to medieval architecture that experimented with structural issues, renaissance for spirituality, macintosh, bauhaus and corbu original creators and protagonists of industrial design and modern movement, and whoever dares to break the rules we have always witnessed a shift in design where there’s more research and thought rather than a simple interest in doing something like a simple internship or apprentice.

so why don’t we put everything in perspective.why is there this elevation of simplistic aspects of industry like interships than a clear understanding of the industry from the inside out and outside in, history of design culture, movements and things that are important. why are there still people confused about theses issues? why is this culture so predominantly accepted while we all know that its the main obstacle for individuals who try to break the mold and create better possibilities. who makes these rules and who gives these people the authority to create such rules. is it idsa, the educational system, the industry, the economic system, the cultural system, or something else?

i think we should open this up, maybe even on another thread if it makes it easier for some peolple who just want to talk about the silly internship.

so i suggest instead of going with some spicy punctuality and status quo stories , why not everyone would benefit from what they might discover their potential is and what works best for them and how to optimize their time and effort for a better carrier and a better chance to improve the world around them.

those barriers have to be removed for individual experimentation and investigation.

way too much to read. but made it this far:

“all of the things i recommend and say about design, school, work, etc are sincere and i have no intention of disorienting anyone out of their seats.”

maybe. but you are disorienting people. example -

a lot of designers come out of schools get jobs leave the field of design after a couple of years because they can’t deal with the competition out there from the people who got masters and have better organizational skills.

what this based on? “can’t deal with the competition”? that your personal experience? sounds it. designers i know dont think this.

“who got masters and have better organizational skills”

huh? dont see this either. no one in my circle has ID masters. but many have good org skills. and what does school have to do w “organizational skills”? i know Sr VPs w multiple degrees and CTOs with PhDs who cant keep a planner organized! you say that and i shake my head. what planet you on? designers arent predisposed to being disorganized! what a stereotype!

thats the reason people call you a clown. you say stuff thats just wrong. its not inability for us to “break chains” or whatever to see your pov. we just think it isnt worth a damn.

and lose the ego already. your not that smart.

i wasn’t talking about planners. any ms word and excel intern (for the sake of clarity at your work environment) can do that. i was talking about the design process.

what do you think people mean when they ask for organizational skills on job postings. do they mean keeping your desk clean? i hope not. otherwise we’re totally misdirected.

who’s we? are you a member of some higher committee on design. you’re just ykh, the moderater who is always dropping a line but not saying anything other than jibberish.

what ego? i’m not speaking of my situation. infact i have never worked with any intern. the only interns i knew where the ones who went to school with me and they themselves were telling me what i’m telling you. i’m not putting anyone down for having done internships instead of getting a degree it’s not only common sense but obvious fact that between a guy with masters and an intern the one with masters has the advantage of moving ahead specially if a carrier in design is a long term objective.

finally for your own moderation sake go to old archives and read all the posts on internships- from karim rashid’s studio internship to all the other ones and see what you’ll find.

you’re completely off specially when it comes to vocabulary of design, technical and procedural issues in design, and laughing out loud- the core history.

take some vitamins it might help your brain, although i doubt it.

“i wasn’t talking about planners. any ms word and excel intern (for the sake of clarity at your work environment) can do that. i was talking about the design process.”

so am i. is english your first language?

“who’s we? are you a member of some higher committee on design.”

“my opinions are not interesting for some people.” we = some people

“you’re just ykh, the moderater who is always dropping a line but not saying anything other than jibberish.”

correct. just a moderator talking jibberish. and just an average designer. nothing special. BUT someone who shows his work.

you: also talks jibberish. shows no work besides CAD fantasy cars. hides his online presence like a troll. usually responds w foul language. makes threats to moderators.

need another equation?

“but obvious fact that between a guy with masters and an intern the one with masters has the advantage of moving ahead specially if a carrier in design is a long term objective.”

not a “fact”. a masters degree can also lose a job. if design manager has no masters. might not hire someone with higher education. same as age discrimination. young design managers might not hire older designers. its awkward. so its not a “fact” that a masters will advance someone. in this field a portfolio still trumps. a masters is great to have. but not the ticket you say it is. and its true - getting a masters straight out of school or soon after can set off warning bells.

you have a masters. so where are you? show the work you did before getting it and after. less words. more show.

“the core history”? respect to Core, but who cares about archive and “core history”? are old posts your portfolio?

“take some vitamins it might help your brain, although i doubt it.”

more condescension. from you its funny. like a kindergarten insult. imo your all talk and no show. i’m guessing you CAN’T design. if you could you’d show something. your ego would demand it. the ego that forces you to respond the way you do.

so am i. is english your first language?

no you ain’t. is english what you speak? there’s a big difference between the design process and the planner! any five year old knows that.

we = some people

if we=some people then you guys should all show your folios because you said it yourself plato:

correct. just a moderator talking jibberish. and just an average designer. nothing special. BUT someone who shows his work.
you have a masters. so where are you? show the work you did before getting it and after. less words. more show.

you: also talks jibberish. shows no work besides CAD fantasy cars. hides his online presence like a troll. usually responds w foul language. makes threats to moderators.

you assume too much. you and yo first started it on all occasions by first commenting jibber and then deleting when infact i didn’t use foul language, and as moderators you act more like little kids than grown-ups by making fun of everyone who posts something not suiting your ideas. when did mr-914 or core admin or other moderators did these to me or other posters. you two are way outta line and very unprofessional and stubborn when it comes to your own personal ideas of the way things should be.

not a “fact”. a masters degree can also lose a job. if design manager has no masters. might not hire someone with higher education. same as age discrimination. young design managers might not hire older designers. its awkward. so its not a “fact” that a masters will advance someone. in this field a portfolio still trumps. a masters is great to have. but not the ticket you say it is. and its true - getting a masters straight out of school or soon after can set off warning bells.

oh so by your definition you can loose a job opportunity if have a masters. just go to coroflot right now and see what you think. another reason why i think you need vitamins. “must have masters” , “master required” just tell me again english is your first language mr moderator.

those were real projects. i’m actually making two of those with some modifications for chinese manufacturing. talk underway. once i make those cars i’ll post them on core but for now you have to bear with my humble models.

respect to Core, but who cares about archive and “core history”? are old posts your portfolio?

no old posts are exactly what they are. like history, like reality, like what’s going on in design world. ring a bell?

more condescension. from you its funny. like a kindergarten insult. imo your all talk and no show. i’m guessing you CAN’T design. if you could you’d show something. your ego would demand it. the ego that forces you to respond the way you do.

hey i take vitamins, eat vegitables+fruits and stay healthy and i recommend it to anyone who needs it. if that’s condensation to you then i’m condensing my self regularly so that i won’t post idiotic remarks like yours. my ego is fine, believe me.

after first line not worth reading. English obviously isnt your first language. so complete waste of time.

to educate you: by saying “PhDs can’t organize their planner”, i’m saying a masters degree doesnt mean better organizational skills. figure it out.

i’m also through discussing this with you. show your work. let it do the talking.