Does a degree in ID open many doors?

There are several people I have read about while doing research that have done much more than ID with their degree.
They have an ID degree that get job offers and get positions that aren’t related much to ID but they are damn good positions.
Take this guy for example who gets a job offer in an oil rig working with cranes and he was only in ID HOW? Or another guy who had to lead an engineer team and he also just has ID.

My main point is, does a degree in ID give you the skills and open doors for many things not very ID related?

What makes me proud when reading the posts on this forum is the people saying they do more than they should be in their work place, like some people say they’re involved in more than just the concept of a product but the whole development process.
I actually get a good feeling when I think to my self I could have a job I like which I never knew I`d get like maybe I could end up being an elevator manufacturer or designer, or working in a factory etc.

I used to think people in ID were only limited in designing the product and only responsible for that.

I think a degree in ID will only help you get jobs in ID, perhaps design engineering, modelling, graphic design… and your other experiences can help you get into a more specific area. Like if you were a ski instructor during college, it can help you get into the outdoor industry. But the thing is when you are in ID you come in contact with many different disciplines. Then it’s up to you which you want to drag yourself closer to, and which to push away. And then the cycle just continues with new projects - the scope changes, the team changes, you learn more, your experience increases, new doors open. You probably won’t get hired engineering cranes for oil rigs straight out of ID school just because you can sketch a sports car and talk about wonderful user experience and how you love patina look of rusted metal. But if you worked on some project involving safety regulations, made some contacts, demonstrated your ability to think creatively and rapidly visualise solutions for the rest of the team, as well as convince the right person of the value in that - you might’ve just opened that elusive door. You design your own career.

You don’t need a degree to operate a crane. You also don’t need an engineering degree to lead engineers, but generally speaking leading engineers is not the same as being a mechanical engineer.

You won’t be doing statics calculations with an ID education, but in the real world anything is possible to learn. Your degree is just a starting point. I’m a decent designer, a below-average software developer, a mechanical engineering intern, an IT pro, below average lover, etc. I wasn’t trained in electrical engineering but I certainly picked up enough bits of information along the way to be able to have an educated conversation about a PCB layout. Does that mean I could do it by myself? Absolutely not.

Geezus.

Quoting Mad Men - again - “This is America. You pick a job, and then become the person that does it.” Not limited to 1960’s America, either.

An ID degree doesn’t open a door to even get an ID job. Skill, talent, and gab/personality do that. If you can ‘fake it til you make it’ in whatever job you want to pursue, that’s great.

Looking at your previous questions:

Will I have a good chance for a job after graduation?
How come getting into the field of design isn’t easy?
How are you doing financially as a designer?
Does a degree in ID open many doors?

I think you’re asking the wrong questions. There are plenty of people who would disagree with me and say the point of a job is to make money so you can survive, but I don’t think I’ve talked to one person in ID who thought like that.
I’m in my 4th year of engineering right now, and plenty of people went into engineering because they got good grades in high school and were told “there’s always jobs for engineers”. But after 4 years, you can tell who went into it for what reasons. The ones who went into it purely for the job are all sunken looking and will barely respond when you talk to them, but the ones who did it because they love engineering are still as happy as the first day of school. Another indicator was in our first year dissection lab, half the class couldn’t figure out how to use a socket wrench. These were students who got much higher grades than me out of high school, but ended up dropping out soon after that because they had zero actual interest in the subject.
As far as jobs go, I’ve gotten every single one of my internships because I was the most enthusiastic about what they were doing. The ones who thought they had such great chances in engineering are struggling to find even internships at the moment, and settling for positions they’re not happy with.
I understand you’re worried about the future, and I’m glad you’re thinking about it at this point (most don’t). But I would focus more on what you love to do, so that you’ll spend tons of time on it, so that you’ll get really good at it, so that you’ll get a job in it.
Have any hobbies? Focus on them. Even stamp collectors can open a stamp museum. Though a degree in ID can help you improve the visitor experience :stuck_out_tongue:

Good post, I do want ID more than anything else, actually before I was focused on getting into Architecture because its the most creative kind of job I can think of, but when I saw ID it showed me there is a job where you can do more than just buildings but have an unlimited amount of things you can make and you wont get bored from this job.
Plus to me I`m attracted to its beauty and how beautiful we make the objects. I don’t want engineering because it just doesn’t seem or look fun to me. ID on the other hand looks like a job that I’d pay to do.

Right, I got into design because I loved to make stuff and as soon as I found out that I could do that without all the math of being an ME I was sold. And it’s pretty damn gratifying to walk into a store and see your product sitting there, or have someone ask you what you do for a living and you say “You know that thing you’ve used? I made that”.

The fact that I get a nice paycheck, decent benefits, and the perks of being able to associate with a pretty fun community of people (engineering conferences are drier then Vegas in July) is pretty awesome. Designers know how to party.

You don’t need a degree to operate a crane.

No you don’t, it’s a bit more specific. If you operate a crane, in the United States, with the capability to lift more than 2,000 pounds, OSHA requires that you possess an Operator’s Certificate which is obtained by demonstrating competency through passing a written examination, a hands-on practical exam, and they must meet specific medical requirements. A license if you will.

Are all engineers required to obtain a license to practice? No. Only those practicing as a “Professional Engineer”.

My main point is, does a degree in ID give you the skills and open doors for many things not very ID related?

Just about any degree will do that. A degree is basically a recognized way for employers to recognize that you have the desire, motivation, the ability to learn, and the work-ethic to show up and do the work that it takes to get the job done. But you will have to open your own doors. The more diverse your skills, the better off you’ll be.

e.g. When I got out of school there weren’t’ many jobs available. I was able to find work “dressing” department and furniture store windows based on my ability to throw together some sketches of what I though the owners would like. I was able to find work in the field engineering office of a municipal water department based on my ability to draft with ink on mylar. From designing home entertainment products I went to work for a manufacturer of motorcycle equipment. That company closed down and I able to land a drafting job with a contractor building a nuclear power plant. That job went away and I found work as a “senior engineer” developing sheet metal components for the USAF version of the Space Shuttle.

Posts like this make me feel that I shouldn’t feel like a failure if I dont make it straight away, everyone took things step by step so I shouldn’t I feel like I deserve to get the great job just by finishing college. Because I just started realizing that even though I have that skill that makes me feel important, Ill still have to go through rejections and work in different places step by step. But I dont really mind landing a great job right after grad.

Wait, what? There is a secret Military Space Program?

R

ah, mmmm. … er… … there was, until that little incident with Challenger turning into a Roman candle kind of ended it. They only dumped $14 billion into it to get it this far.

But I’m sure they’re done with that nonsense by now. And I’m sure that that triple sonic boom that woke me from a dead sleep, vibrated the house, and rattled the coast from Santa Barbara to north of San Luis Obispo and all the way inland to Fresno and Bakersfield a couple of days before Christmas was nothing … mmm mm covert.

Won’t make you tell more. Don’t want you to have to kill me :slight_smile:

Whewww! That was close. I was trying to figure out how to broach that subject… … … . .

Degrees don’t open doors, hands do. As someone once told me “you get promoted to the job you are already doing” . There is plenty of room to be expansive and to be responsible for many aspects of the process. From my experience, the challenges that businesses face today require the type of analytical creative thinking that SOME designers posses, but you have to prove yourself one piece at a time first. Focus first on being a great designer, once you have mastered that, focus on being a great design leader, once that is mastered then look to lead other disciplines and the overall organization… That is the way I see it anyway! I might be too linear here, but when I hear designers espousing organizational change and design leadership over an entire org who don’t have real deep experience in the product development process it starts to feel like snake oil to me.

… when I hear designers espousing organizational change and design leadership over an entire org who don’t have real deep experience in the product development process it starts to feel like snake oil to me.

Young employees often appeared arrogant, either during job interviews or on the job, according to those surveyed, with 52% of respondents reporting more new employees arriving at the office with an air of entitlement.

Managers noted several characteristics of professionalism: appropriate appearance, punctuality, regular attendance, honesty, attentiveness and sticking with a task through completion. Many entry-level workers lacked these traits, according to the study.

Researchers say new hires may be taking workplace cues from peers and friends, rather than more-experienced workers.

“Acceptable behavior among peers is not necessarily acceptable among coworkers and superiors,” says Deborah Ricker, who oversees the Center for Professional Excellence.

source: 21 March, 2012. The Wall Street Journal; Professionalism at Work: The Kids Are Not Alright

I fully admit the downfalls of my own generation, and 5 years from now I’m honestly even more frightened.

Boss: “I’m going to need to see those presentations by 3pm”

Employee: “Cld u tweet me plz I 4got”

Sorry OT but Lmo is that a freakin’ rolling Air Force VAB in that photo? … :open_mouth:

Everything in that picture moved except the “launch mount”, the “access tower”, and the "payload preparation room (building).

The building at the far right is called the Mobile Service Tower (MST); 260+ feet tall, rolls onto railroad track laid into the 12 ft thick concrete slab. It’s powered by diesel electric.

The “launch mount” itself (with the Shuttle hanging off of it) is stationary. The exhaust is directed away from the vehicle via a “flame bucket” and the flame ducts (that look like tunnel entrances). The noise alone is sufficient to destroy the Shuttle so it is suppressed by the release of (?) amount of water held in a reservoir at the top of the mountain (not visible, but at the right of the photo). I was on site for the test move of the MST. It was the day after they dump-tested the sound suppression “deluge” system. The tracks are recessed into the concrete so that equipment can move over them easily; the track recesses were still full of water… when we finally moved the MST the water moved with it… the concrete was deflecting (all 12 feet of it) under the weight of the MST.

The Shuttle Assembly Building (SAB) to the left of the launch mount (with USAF on it) is also mobile. The SAB and the MST come together around the Launch Mount to protect it from the local marine environment (usually very foggy). Unlike Florida the space available at Vandenberg is limited, that’s why the launch mount stays put, and the buildings move away. Remembering that it was a military installation the real reason that the buildings move is because they can be moved much faster than that the bigger crawler used at Florida can haul a delicate flight vehicle … meaning that the Shuttle could be concealed from prying eyes until the last hour or so before a launch.

Vandenberg was chosen as the launch site of the old “MOL project” back in the 1966. It is the only site in the continental U.S. where a vehicle can be launched in to a geosynchronous polar orbit without overflying another country (like Cuba).

After billions of dollars, and all of those years nothing was launched from this facility until 2011.
Delta IV Heavy Lifter

That’s pretty freaking awesome.

It also would be a perfect basis for a sweet Lego set.

Lew that’s the coolest thing I’ve ever seen. I thought I knew all there was to know about shuttles. Amazing.

12 feet of concrete deflecting!?!