Do you need talent to be a designer?

Do you need talent to be a designer?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

This is a fundamental question often overlloked by current design research.

do you need talent to be a MLB all star?

Of course you need talent. The real question maybe is do you need to be an artist to be a successful designer, and in my opinion no.

Yes, there should be talent, however talent can manifest itself in different ways. It depends on how your measuring it. Is it on technical skills which can be mastered over time (Sketching, 3D modelling), or is it finding an appropriate creative solution to a problem (ideas) based on the constriants given. You can take a five pound bag of shit and dress it up but at the end of the day it is still a five pound bag of shit.

yes you need talent to be a designer, like u need talent to be good at anything in life…i guess a more relevant question might be what kind of talent u need to be a designer…may i add that good training or nurturing helps the talent to shine better…

the answer is no. I work with a few deisgners taht have no creative talent at all. Well they are actually VERY successful because they are able to relate to buyers who are not designers either. The look at the problem like a non-designer would which means their products will sell a lot which they do. Me on the other hand i come up with products that beautiful and functional yet have no appeal to the masses or more importantly not appealing to the buyers. The designers i work with just jump on the computer and design something rather than sketch or research what they are doing. These guys have figured out the system and what works with buyers. I guess now taht i look at them maybe they are talented and creating boring crap is their talent.

the answer is no. I work with a few deisgners taht have no creative talent at all. Well they are actually VERY successful because they are able to relate to buyers who are not designers either. The look at the problem like a non-designer would which means their products will sell a lot which they do. Me on the other hand i come up with products that beautiful and functional yet have no appeal to the masses or more importantly not appealing to the buyers. The designers i work with just jump on the computer and design something rather than sketch or research what they are doing. These guys have figured out the system and what works with buyers. I guess now taht i look at them maybe they are talented and creating boring crap is their talent.

You don’t need talent to be anything.
You only need talent to be ‘good’ at something.
What is good is relative to the person judging.
So be what you want to be and find the community of people that thinks that you are talented at it.
Have fun.
Don’t be envious if you think that you are more talented than someone else but the community that thinks that they are talented is bigger than the community that thinks that you are talented.

of course!If you want to be good at it.
And I think do everything good all need some talents
but sometimes good training also will help to improve it

what innate talent is required to be a designer? is there one? but given that assumption if this talent is not cultivated any advantage that it may give is likey diminished…

there are many people (maybe not in design) who may not have been the most talented at the start but there hard work and dedication manged to give them longevity over their “more talented” counterparts

i do not really know enough to be say whether or not talent is necessary since most things people use to judge whether a designer is successful are skill based and most skills can be learned…i say no

why not?!! i think that everyone have a daydream. if you will make the daydream you will have some strange idea in your mind.and then they may be something useful in your design.but if you have losted the daydream ,the talent to desige would lost also.

No you don’t need talent to be a designer but hopefully you do need talent to become a good/useful/purposeful designer.

do you need talant to come up with questions that might be important in another world? yes. does it matter in this one? no.

Talent can help you get in the door, but skill, passion, and savy will keep you there.

perhaps, talent is the ability to stick to what you wanna do no matter
how untalented you seem.

I have seen people with shockingly poor taste and skills go from nobody
to getting hired by the big name firms upon graduation.

Talents get you in. BUT,
Hard work and efforts will take you places that you didn’t think possible.

I had to admit that I don’t have talent to be a designer.But it’s no doubt that you need talent if you want to be a successful designer.Another,I think some efforts are also very important in your design.
I’m a student who study Multimedia design in Shanghai Normal University. But I think it’s not a suitable subjuct for me.It do need some talents.But I haven’t. :confused:

Well,I think you need talent to be a designer, like you need talent to be good at anything in life…Everybody want to be genius since he or she born.But,as a designers,feeling ,the feeling of arts,sa well as important.And if you want to get success,good training also will help to improve your power.Anyway,even if you have not talent,you will try your best in your design dream~