Do you miss the competition?

My first two jobs were acquired after a lot of portfolio development, many mailers, websites, etc. Quite simply, a lot of hard work. So when I was finally picked for a job that was listed on Coroflot, it was like I won a huge race because I knew my competition was just as good. For the last few years, I haven’t worked on my portfolio much because I haven’t needed to. No sending out mailers or emails to every position that opened up. Now all of a sudden, I have two lucrative offers from companies that I didn’t even approach and they’re outright said “we need you.” Of course, that’s fantastic and it’s nice to be appreciated, but I honestly miss the sense of accomplishment after fighting through numerous interviews for that highly acclaimed design job.
Anyone else like this?
Getting back to this…I have two offers. One is with a young, growing company that I’ve freelanced for. We all get along well and it looks very, very promising, not to mention they’re paying a ton more. At the same time, I like my current position, but I’m obviously underpaid.
Guess we’ll see what my current employer has to say.

To young designers, keep working hard in a few short years, you’ll get your dues. The first few years are difficult and you may have to take a few “lesser” design jobs, but they’re worth it.

you are in a great place you won …U give me a little bit of hope…the competition out here is amazing and challenging…if not impossible to defeat…

Guess we’ll see what my current employer has to say.

Consider this carefully. Creating a competition, based on salary, between your current empoyer and another might not proceed as you expect.

Loyalty is a difficult attribute to place a price on. I’d suggest approaching your current employer about a salary adjustment prior to letting her/him/it know that you are ‘looking’.

Have you expressed a desire to employer to take on ‘more responsibility’? A pay raise generally accompanies a move like this, and there is something to be said about a stable workplace.

If the perception is that you’ll go to the highest bidder, there is the risk that your employer might wonder when you will do this again. Consequently their interest in you, as a valuable company asset, might start to wane.

Consider this carefully. Creating a competition, based on salary, between your current empoyer and another might not proceed as you expect.

Loyalty is a difficult attribute to place a price on. I’d suggest approaching your current employer about a salary adjustment prior to letting her/him/it know that you are ‘looking’.

Have you expressed a desire to employer to take on ‘more responsibility’? A pay raise generally accompanies a move like this, and there is something to be said about a stable workplace.

If the perception is that you’ll go to the highest bidder, there is the risk that your employer might wonder when you will do this again. Consequently their interest in you, as a valuable company asset, might start to wane.[/quote]

You bring up some very valid points. While keeping from the details, my company recently merged with another and everything has been crappy since then. Add to that, it’s owned by a holding company that only cares about the bottom line. Well, who doesn’t? But they definately don’t appreciate talent or hard workers. My boss does and knows how valuable I am and I have taken many more responsibilities as of late. Not to mention I’m now considered “senior,” although I still don’t have that title. So, I’m seriously underpaid. Even if they match it, it shows that they’re just trying to get me for as little as they can and wouldn’t even flinch at the idea of laying me off on their next round of cuts. It’s not a good situation. Under the right circumstances, I’d be loyal. But why be loyal to your employer when they aren’t to you?

F uck loyalty take the money and run.

If you really are that good take advantage of your position and climb as fast as possible.

The employer that is loyal to their employee is a myth. Remember they will have no second thought of cutting you off if it saves them a buck.

Stop thinking about your career in terms of loyalty-its not, its a business.

Pimpmobile is pretty much right on, and it sounds like you have more loyalty to your boss than the company. I wouldn’t doubt that he’d understand if you took a better offer, he might even be looking for something better himself, you might be surprised! These 2 opportunities still represent you in competition, they were more impressed with you than others that they might have worked with so you did still win something, it’s all a result of your hardwork in the past, it’s payoffs, just in a different format. It’s good advice to push for a salary adjustment, if they can’t match it then leave on good terms, if they leave the door open for you should you want to return, then at least that’s mutual loyalty on some level…

F uck loyalty take the money and run.

ahhhh, 21st Century American Business, ain’t it great!!!

Now if we could just get the Chinese to think this way.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the suggestions and opinions. Guess I can just look at it as another resume-builder. I’ll get to go to China, which is exciting and I’m positive that I will learn a lot. Besides, I’ll be working with a great group of people that I admire and respect.

Have to make my decision today…the only drawback I can think of is that the project isn’t quite as exciting as the stuff I currently do. Basically going from sports equipment to furniture. Maybe it will just be another facet of design that I can gain knowledge and experience on.

The money is definately pulling me pretty hard though. At the end of the day, it’s still a job and I have a mortgage and car payments.

As an American thank you for the compliment.

And Chinese know alot more than you think.