Do NOT take a job at INDEX ID. Trust Me.

There is a posting for a job at Index Industrial Design and Development for a “Serious” Industrial Designer. The job, and the company are absolutely terrible, I know from experience.

The pay is bottom of the barrel, there are no bonuses, no advancement, raises are super rare, the boss is borderline psychotic, there are no projects that are remotely interesting, you don’t get to sketch, you get no resepct, and there is zero job security. Oh and expect to work late and work weekends in exchange for no gratitude whatsoever.

Just seeing the job posting made me a little sick. You’d be wise to avoid this job like the plague. Questions? jameslwolf@hotmail.com

Nasty website and examples.

The job, and the company are absolutely terrible, I know from experience.

How long ago did you work at Index?

Nasty website and examples.

What’s wrong with the website?

Nasty website

Mystery meat navigation on the html site. Couldn’t get the flash site to work. I have the flash player for mx2004 and version 5.

Didn’t bother looking at the stuff since I was so annoyed with the navigation.

Flash worked for me. but i avoid flash sites. html was okay.

i’d crit but thats my neighborhood. when i need to go local they’ll be competition. just say this site was reassuring to see. if they’re reading, i’ll just mention i could do that speaker in minutes in vanilla Pro. hope they’ve dumped CDRS. well. maybe not :slight_smile:

I didn’t like that site, mostly the interface. When that hand moves around…that’s freakin me out man!! Like my mouse is on autopilot. That one aspect is really disturbing. Took a little while for me to get used to the fact that it was showing what I should do. But if my hand is on the mouse while that hand runs all over the place, like driving when the steering wheel doesn’t work in a drunk driving simulator.

insisting on the hand-pointer to ‘show me’ what’s there was extremely annoying…you had to wait for it to finish whatever the heck it was trying to show then you can navigate…

why do they feel that their audience is THAT web-illiterate? just let me explore on my own!

Do you think they paid Peter Gabriel for the use of the music?

There’s Peter Gabriel music? I was thinking the same thing listenign to that Who loop over and over and over. Wonder how much they paid for the Who loop? Where’s the Gabriel stuff?

It could be worse, you could be jobless, homeless and living off scraps within the damp square of your upturned cardboard box, with the only luxury being handouts of brandy. What kind of a women would date you then?

Hurts the self dignity doesn’t it?

no raises?
no gratitude?
no advancement?
no job stability?
psychotic boss?
late nights with no overtime pay?

sounds like every other design job i’ve had working at “well known” companies.

I worked there right out of school (1998) for a few months. I’m sad to say it is the only job that I ever fell asleep at! Back then the building was about half the size it seems to be now on the weird website. The front part had a few offices, a reception area, and a conference room. The back half was a corregated metal and cinderblock warehouse structure, separated in two, half being the shop, half being the studio. I remember the heat didn’t work so good (or wasn’t turned on) and it was usually pretty cold back there. Most of the projects where for Hetz, mostly garage signage… you can see why I fell asleep, all done straight in auto cad too!

The projects kind of sucked, Andre could be difficult, and the environment was depressing, but I learned a few things and got out of there. I’m spoiled now in a cushy corporate job where I get to sketch and render the day away, but when times get tough and the projects build up, I think of my time at Index and life feels a whole lot better again.

I’m amazed to see that Index grew so much and the speaker desisign they did isn’t completely bad. Maybe Andre turned it around. Reading the posting gave me some chills though.

I almost forgot the best part… I got paid $10 an hour. I left after 3 months or so for a position at Evo that paid a heck of a lot more, had great projects for fortune 500 companies, a talented team, and a design director that taught me almost everything I know.

There can be no light without darkness… I guess.

“I almost forgot the best part… I got paid $10 an hour.”

“paying dues” i see.

You ungrateful b*stard :imp:. Many people would love to work as a designer, be it at a depressing place or a pampered cushy studio, i’m sure there are hell worse things you could do.

Just remember there are many graduates who can’t even get experience after completing their education, they’re working at a greasy spoon downtown just to keep alive, they’d be jumping at the chance of getting anything else.

Its experience under your belt and in your backpack… think of it that way.

YO, how much did they charge for your work? If you got $10 did they charge $50? Did you get health insurance? How did your benefits compare with other jobs you got after?

Saying three months experience got him a job at Evo is really stupid. If he had all that experience then why didn’t Index keep him? Did they offer him more money to hold onto such a talented designer? Look at his portfolio and tell me he was only worth $10/hr. His portfolio alone is better than what all Index has on there site!

Man, how can anyone live on $10 an hour? And what could be worse than being treated like sh*t by your own profession. Restuarant work is better. I know I will have food to eat at least!

You ungrateful b*stard :imp:. Many people would love to work as a designer, be it at a depressing place or a pampered cushy studio, i’m sure there are hell worse things you could do.

Just remember there are many graduates who can’t even get experience after completing their education, they’re working at a greasy spoon downtown just to keep alive, they’d be jumping at the chance of getting anything else.

Its experience under your belt and in your backpack… think of it that way.

You ungrateful bstard :smiling_imp:
You ungrateful b
stard :smiling_imp:
You ungrateful bstard :smiling_imp:
You ungrateful b
stard :smiling_imp:
You ungrateful b*stard :smiling_imp:

i thought yo’s posts were honest and nonjudgemental. at $10/hr why does he need to be grateful? bet he was billed out at maybe $100/hr. someone got their money.

Shameful to know you could be working at McDonalds for the same amount.
I bet somebody took the lion share and ran. I.e; the boss.