Do I chase the silver lining..

Hi, nice to meet you all

Need some advice on my situation here

I’m 24 and just graduated about a year ago. I’m going through a crossroad in choosing the job opportunities that just pop up

A) A real ID job at a company in another country.Had an interview with the Design Manager which turns out pretty great however he needs the approval from the people higher ups to approve it. The recent economic bust pretty much affected them as well. So they can only confirm my situation in maybe a month’s time. The environment there is good and its ID.

B) A local job with a RP company.Pretty much engineering base as I will mainly touch with CAD/CAM programs but hardly any designworks. Also had an interview with that company, going to 2nd interview soon. The chances of getting into it is very high but needs to confirm ASAP.


So the dilemma is should I take the chances and go pursue the dream job but may not be available or take the path of least resistance which is the RP company opening.

Being an ID graduate, I would have like to eventually walk that path and be an Industrial Designer rather than a Design Engineer. It has gotta start somewhere.

After doing AutoCAD works for 4 months, I find its not something I wanna do for long term. Don’t wanna land myself in the same hole again but with the current economic outlook…

I;m trying to find a workaround to this situation.Will greaty appreciate the advices. Thanks

I’d say hold out for the ID job if that’s the one you want.

If money’s tight, then take the RP job if it comes in first and when the ID job comes available take it and tell the RP job “This just wasn’t what I’m looking for”

It’s kind of a pain in the ass for the RP company (I know because I’ve been on the receiving end of such treatment) but at the same time, times are tough and you’ve got to stay afloat, right?

But, I would hang tight for a month if you can, otherwise keep looking around.

Follow your dreams.
Follow your gut.

If they disagree, make them fight each other.

Dreams always.

If you’ve got the opportunity to pursue a dream at the moment you have to take it as there aren’t that many opportunities around and you will kick yourself if you don’t.

Thanks for the advice

Would it be wise to tell the RP company of my situation and leave it to them whether they would still hire on temporary basis.

The one months could just be an estimation, might even be longer. Will try to call them to update on the situation

Dreams always.

If you’ve got the opportunity to pursue a dream at the moment you have to take it as there aren’t that many opportunities around and you will kick yourself if you don’t.

Yea I’m thinking the same too. Good things just don’t come easy

I keep it mum, to the RP people. When you land the dream gig, politely peace out.

Thanks for all your advices guys.

I’ll be confirmed for the RP work, in the meantime looking around for design opportunities.Wish me luck.