Do hiring people even read the coverletter?

How wordy the coverletter should be? If HR people get that much of applicatons, do they read coverletter after all?
Is coverletter just formality?

no, they get trashed.

Thanks a lot…

My apologies Theresa.

I am a female in the design industry and I should be a little more considerate to my fellow female designers.

As someone that has been instrumental in the hiring process, cover letters are just a formality. Most employers skim over them and make their selection based on the content in the resume or the portfolio samples. I would recommend sending a good resume with a few samples of your work. I have even seen samples of one’s work included in the resume.

I hope this helps. Nice to see more women in the business too.

Thank you for your kindness… It will be a great help.

Theresa

just to be fair…

I’ve heard the opposite. People *do read cover letters, and you should take them seriously when writing them. It gives you the opportunity to talk about yourself and it will get read.

If it doesn’t get read, then it doesn’t matter. But if you wrote some half-a$$ed, standard-sounding it could hurt you.

Take all of your job inquiry materials seriously whether you think they’ll be read or not, it’s an expectation, if it’s not an expectation where you’re applying, then dont’ bother applying, they won’t take you seriously after you get hired.

i agree, say in the off chance you get someone that regards the cover letter as an essential requirement for application and weighs on it heavily. just do it.

oh and im sorry i didnt answer the question. keep it short and make it clealry express who you are. i personally think those standard hell i’d like to work fo you sound average and boring. average people make up half the population, you need to be better than that and clearly express what it is you have and you need to sell yourself without being too forward…sorry if there arent too many specifics, it depends upon who you are and you have to figure that out.

Yup. The cover letter gets trashed. I get over 20 resumes/portfolios a day. I immediately look at their samples and ‘work experience’ section and make a quick judgement there. They have my attention for 30 seconds. If it doesn’t catch my eye, their entire package goes into the trash- and no, we don’t keep them ‘on file’. No company ever does that.

I read them to make sure the person has decent writing skills. Generally what the cover letter says is the same every time, however its how they say it that is what counts.

You again? :unamused:

Please crawl back under the rock you came from and leave the rest of us alone to have constructive discussions.

It’s also a chance to prove that you’ve done your research regarding the company, and that your experience is relevant to the position. The resume format can “flatten” everything you’ve done, but you can highlight the important parts in the cover letter.

We keep a file… and I am pretty sure other companies do too.

So if you keep them on file, what do you intend to do with them?

It is frustrating when companies tell young kids we’ll keep you on file. For what? Why not try the truth. We intend to hire a particular type of person and you don’t fit that description.

You are right. If a position needs to be filled, only the resumes that fit the job description will be pulled from the file. That being said, different positions have different needs- so keeping someone who is talented on file has it’s advantages.

The truth is:

1. we trash them (but we tell you we’ll keep them on file)
  2. we use it for fresh ideas and inspiration

If you use your common sense, you would come to the conclusion that, based on an average of 25 portfolios we receive each day, there really isn’t any room to file them. Thats 6,000 portfolios every year. So therefore, we trash 85% of them and keep the good ones as inspiration. When they say ‘we’ll keep them on file’ that’s total BS. Don’t be fooled.