dishsoap

Yesterday I was doing some dishes and noticed that the soap that my wife bought had a pretty innovative add-on. It seems to make perfect sense although it doesn’t actually use the soap as the source of smell, maybe the beads are a bi-product of the manufacturing process? or at least they should be.

It actually works really well as an air freshener.

Good find. did the package smell before you removed the lable. Just wondering how well the lable kept the sent in.

Not really. There are vents on both sides, so you have to remove both sticky films. Now that I took off both, I guess you could remove just 1 of them if you wanted a less potent smell…

Really interesting feature. Any idea who designed it? The graphics are well done too.

So…will it smell long after it has dispensed all of it’s product? Is the base removable to be used solely as an air freshener.

I hate to say it, but this seems to be fine example of feature creep rearing it’s ugly head. What’s the story here?

If the beads are a bi-product of the manufacturing process must they be combined with the soap bottle? If you’re green-schlocking I suppose they do have to be together.

Looks like another case of “We did, because we could”. It’s kind of ridiculous…

they are in a seperate area of the bottle, so i assume they would last longer, but i don’t think you would want to leave an empty soap bottle on your sink just because it smells good. I think i will probably keep the bottle in the cabinet under my sink when its gone though, just for for the smell. (i dont think its removable)

feature creep? Its not like the bottle has all these ridiculous features on it, and its not ugly or overbearing…i didnt even notice it was there at first. i don’t see this being ridiculous at all.

I think its quite slick and its nice to walk up to the sink area and its smells fresh and clean. I also think it is a great idea if this is a result of a bi-product of the actual soap…

I agree with you here. It would be nice to be able to use it long after the soap is gone.

I disagree with you one this one. I don’t know for a fact but this look as if it is a product that is supposed to make you dish washing experience better and more enjoyable. If you think about the number of smells that comes along with not only your kitchen but washing dirty dishes you can imagine how this would make that chore more pleasant.

The question that I do ask is…Does this screw with the recycling system? I would assume that when they designed this bottle they had that in mind but depending on what that air freshener is made of this could be an issue.[/quote]

interesting combo of features, but from a design standpoint i agree with the feature creep thing. it also dilutes the brand promise IMHO. Is the dishsoap a good dishoap or a mediocre air freshener?

If the bottle/contents were made in such a way that the actual dishoap provided the airfreshness effect, with vents or something, that would be a good dual product.

also reminds me of an add i’ve seen recently touting some spray cleaning product with the “fresh scent of Frebeeze”. I thought (according to all the marketing) Febreeze was an active cleaner of some sort, not just a smell to cover up the stench. This product affirms the opposite and makes me think that Febreeze is just another air freshener that covers up smells.

On a related but OT note, what’s with those air-matic (or whatever) they’re called air fresheners that you plug in to an outlet to release smells at some interval. 9, 18, or every 36 minutes? everytime i see a commercial for one I’m baffled at the timing on it. Is it only so you can’t easily calculate how often you use it and how long it lasts? Wouldn’t it make much more sense to have it every 15, 30 or 60 minutes? drive me nuts as an example of stupid design and/or marketing to take advantage of consumers…

R

i took a closer look. The bottom does come off.
IMG_1001.JPG

With a closer look. How long does it take for that bottom tray with the air freshener beads to become wet and cause a mess.

Febreze isn’t a cleaner, it is only an airfreshner. It started as a fabric freshener I think. The particles actually attach to smell particles making them heavier than air according to the adverts.

I don’t think it is feature creep either, rather combining 2 things in an area of the home that is often tight on space. People often leave their dish soap out, and they often leave dishes in the sink. You either need it or you don’t. The free market lets the consumer decide. no one is getting taken advantage of, people pay willingly.

I could see this being great for college living. I’d go for it if it looked like this: (I just wanted to work Brancusi in)

That’s what I meant. That is, that it doesn’t just cover smells with fragrance, but automagically removes them.

R

I’m not familiar with this product but I wonder if this isn’t some kind of marketing strategy, trying to make people familiar with a second product that eventually will be sold individually.

It Va-Poo-Rizes 'em

http://www.vapoorizer.com/infommercial_qthi.html

This isn’t feature creep nor is it a way to spin off a new air freshener. Dawn is locked in a neverending battle to differentiate its products from discount store brands. They are constantly changing their packaging with new shapes, logos, and value added features. Its all to stand out on the shelf.

Maybe…just maybe, we don’t need 137 different choices when it comes to dish soap, just me, but I go for the lowest price on “necessities” like this.

I would like to see a consumer study that compares washing time and effort across the discount, mid-range, and “high-end” dishsoaps, I would bet there is no more than a 15 second time difference in cleaning action across the board, is that 15 seconds worth another $3, probably not unless you’re Bill Gates.

I buy packaging… Method all the way in this zone.

then divide that out by the length of the product…if its a better product for whatever reasons, and supports the need to design, then i will buy it.

That’s the great thing about concentrated soaps, they weigh less, and take up less space. To me, that’s a more legit, and some could argue, a more socially and environmentally responsible product improvement that benefits even those that do not purchase it.

The cheapest product can still have the most appealing container design.

Nice!!!