Digital Camera Processing software...

Digital camera use background: I have just enough information about purchasing my first digital camera to be dangerous.

The Nikon D50 or D70 looks like my choice at the moment. The D50 is currently being “packaged” as a two lens kit for around $800US.

Apparently Nikon encodes it’s files, and a proprietary software program is required to make use of it’s RAW data. A 30-day trial version of the software (Nikon Capture) is included with the camera, but must be “upgraded” periodically thereafter.

Questions:

1. Is anyone using any Nikon product(s) that require this software, and what is your opinion of it?

2. Does Photoshop CS have the ability to “work around” this encoded data?

Thanks, Lmo

I have a D70, which I love by the way, and I can open the Raw files with PS CS… there is a plugin for RAW

I don’t mess with the RAW very often since it really crushes my older laptop, but I think you have a few more options in the Nikon Program for post processing the images. I can’t remember what exactly, but more controls.

One thing too… you have to have Photoshop CS top open the files if you save them in 12 bit color, cause only the newer photoshop can handle it.

the only negative of that kind of cam is that I find myself wanting a second point-and-shoot digital for the times when you don’t want to make a big production out of a fun snapshot… but when I need it, having the Nikon is great

Thanks for the Nikon input.

I find myself wanting a second point-and-shoot digital for the times when you don’t want to make a big production out of a fun snapshot

what’s your favorite?

Lew

I don’t know yet… I just went snowboarding yesterday with some friends and really wished I had a camera

Some of the little elpfs look nice and compact but probably good pictures, I don’t know; can anyone recomend a good camera for the pocket?

… as far as a ‘pocket camera’ is concerned my wife’s LG VX8100 cell phone does okay, and even takes 20 second movies. A bit blurry at the edges, but hey, it’s a phone…

The search goes on…

I saw a really cool camera today that was all touch screen controled.

I think it was a camera / Mp3 player… it had a screen about the size of a archos video hard drive player, but no buttons or features besides an on/off button, a camera and flash, and the touch-screen. it was really different, especially when you snapped a shot by just touching the screen anywhere. qualitywise, I don’t know though…