Digital Camera Horror Stories

Okay, it’s time for a new digital camera.

I don’t want to hear anything about how good a particular camera is, I want to hear about how bad a particular camera is; hardware, techincal support, software, etc.

Name brands, and model numbers please.

Price range: $400-800US

I just bought a Panasonic Lumix LX3. Bought it in Singapore so I’m not sure how much it’s gonna cost over in the US but over here, it put me back a nice S$700.

So far, the only qualms I have with this camera is the fact that almost everything is controlled using a small joystick with sort leave the thumb feeling quite sore after a while. Also the wire to connect the camera to the PC is sort of a special wire rather than the standard wires which a lot of electronic devices use (ie. PSP, Portable hard drives, etc.) thus once you have misplaced it, you won’t be able to transfer any pictures till you find a replacement.

Perhaps some people might not like the 2x optical zoom which is quite pathetic for a camera of that price but for me, it doesn’t bother me since I have no intention to use it for zoom shots. Another thing is that it doesn’t come with it’s own carrying case though you can purchase one for about US$50 which is quite a bit.

Hope this helps you in your quest for a digital cam.

cheers

Althou I’m not sure what you hope to get out of this, but my guess is you want to find out about stuff that would typically never cross your mind when shopping?

I have an waterproof olympus u720SW*. It can’t remember the program, antishock, and flash settings when you switch it off. That is a real pain, and I was properly surprised with that since it’s one thing you just take for granted.

*It’s a few years old and new models have been released, perhaps they’ve fixed it long ago. I’m quite happy with the camera overall since it’s waterproof. Really great to have on occasions where I wouldn’t dream bringing the DSLR. Low quality picture is better than no picture at all anytime.