Desk III

On second look they do look like drawer handles, but it doesn’t look like the back is thick enough for drawers.

That was my reaction as well…but if properly spaced you could lop a hole in the wall between the joists to create the space for the drawers.

Ooh, yeah, hide-y holes!

Who would cut big holes in their wall for a desk…I mean other than designers?

looking at the other pics i think those are some sort of brushed metal covers over the srews/bolts. “no visible hardware” I assume means no screws showing, and those are supposedly a “decordation” element so don’t count? that’s my only guess, but kinda weak execution if that is the case, and would look much better with wood plugs to cover the holes vs. the metal ones.

R

Just saw this guy today and mad me think of you 914:
http://www.designspotter.com/product/2010/05/The-Ledge.html

Gotta love those ideas from an age before fear of car accidents.

Oh mannn … . now my age is showing; Purdue ID, 1969-1973; Head of Department, Victor Papanek, 1969-71.
One of his favorite rants was the number of automobile-inflicted pedestrian fatalities attributed to hood ornaments (the reason MB’s “gun sight” is spring-loaded (although I doubt that VP was the sole motivator of it)).

I shared the third floor of an old furniture warehouse in downtown Lafayette, Indiana with four other design students; 18,000 square feet, 15-foot ceilings, 10 foot windows, hardwood floors, a freight elevator, common entertainment kitchen/bath area near the middle, and a basketball/handball/workshop area near the elevator (we brought our motorcycles up every night). We each staked out individual “camp sites” in the corners and built “homes” for sleeping, studio work, etc, constructed out of odds and ends. I don’t know if any of our stuff inspired Nomadic Furniture, but I like to think it did. …

914, I think you may be be afflicted with the same condition that Eero Saarinen suffered. He found the proliferation of “legs” (table, chair, desk, etc.) so disturbing that he wrote: “The underside of typical chairs and tables makes a confusing, unrestful world, I wanted to clear up the slum of legs.”

His “Tulip” series for Knoll was the end result.

Over the years my wife and I have acquired way too much furniture (our own finds and purchases, and two sets of inherited households) … all I want now is to be able to see the base moldings around the entire interior again. We’re ready to remodel our computer room/den, you’ve inspired me to go leg-less. I want to see those base boards again!

What screw head?