Designer Q&A Design Droplets Interview...rkuchinsky

FYI all (following the footsteps of Yo) I’ve just finished an interview with Design Droplets, here:

http://designdroplets.com/designer-qa/designer-qa-richard-kuchinsky/

Thought some here may be interested. Lots of shout-outs to the core77 community included!

R

“From a design philosophy perspective, I am very inspired by the work of Dieter Rams”

You serious?

Bobcat: He is. Just search Richard and Dieter Rams on these boards!

You serious?

Whats wrong with that? :confused:

Attention Students: Post this on the wall of your studio…

Too often these days, I think young designers fall in love with CAD, or fancy renderings and lose sight of the true goals of the design process- the end product.

I don’t get the connection between this guy’s reverence or Rams et al, and what we see in those images of shoes: Lots of bold and sweeping stylistic gestures that look very confident and proficient, but at first blush demonstrate no apparent “development of a brand DNA through design”

Rams and many of those modernists made their reputations for articulating a truth about a technology, how artifacts are used and their link to the soul. Less is more. Truth to materials. Form following function. God is in the details etc. What we see here is uninteresting, conformist trainer fare- the same stuff that Nike and Adidas pump out in volumes. Over-styled meaningless crap that, sure, reinforces their brand value, but has a only transient link to fashion and not much else.

I hate trainers. They’re the worst design deceit. Over styled, over branded, and over priced. Take the Adidas Audi TT inspired shoe- what the hell were they thinking? What truth was being revealed, and who’s “Brand DNA were they reinforcing”? “Hey, why don’t we make an athletic shoe that looks like a car!..”

Yeah, I can just see Dieter Rams shuffling around his home an a pair of Nike Shox…

Why can’t these gurus design a shoe that upholds some honest, purist values? A homage to biomechanics, and technology without plastering them with meaningless go-faster graphics and textures? (Try looking up “Nike Design Classic” in Google Images…) This stuff falls into the same irredeemable design niche as overstated ghetto blasters, lurid incarnations of Nokia phones from the Nuovo era, and any other attention-seeking mass produced commodity. They’re an offense to the word “innovation”.

Kuchinksy is obviously an intelligent, smart and talented guy. Someone please rescue him form footwear oblivion.

My turn to ask, you serious?

Before you answer, I’d like to suggest first-

1. You go back and re-read the interview. Seems you didn’t even catch what I said aside from the one word, Rams.

2. Take another look at my work. If there weren’t enough samples throughout the interview, you can check out more at the links in my signature.

3. Try to connect your thoughts. You are making little sense.

R

I enjoyed reading it, lots of insight into the design of footwear and how you approach it. Reading through your blog first pullover now. Thanks Richard

Richard, I actually thought you were older for some reason. Funny how you build an image of someone based on the little you know about them from the boards.

Heck, I bet no one guesses that I’m an 8 year old girl.

Man, that last line made me spit out my capri sun all over the screen.

I’m younger, based on my pic? Maybe I’m just an 80 year old guy in good shape? :wink:

(no, actually, I’m not)

R

I’m younger, based on my pic? Maybe I’m just an 80 year old guy in good shape?

If that’s the case, you should probably quit design and buy some infomercial space right next to Tony Little and his gazelle.

it’s a fine interview. How did an Australian magazine find you out? god forbid, not wikipedia?

Your response to question 3 is particularly eloquent. Both the bottom up / top down design methods, accurate and well described, remain sound business models, I guess depending on size and perhaps market niche.

Dieter Rams is probably the first design guru, leader, mentor, inspiration, example for many designers, although this may be changing with the decades. All successful design has an element of subtlety and all of Dieter Rams’ design embodies subtlety. Subtlety is simplicity which is complex to achieve, but admirable.

Inspiration is a funny thing. Andrea Palladio is phenomenally inspirational to me, as are some of these first design examples posted here by high school students. Also, the nameless faceless designers slaving at Big Co. inspire me as they often produce excellence in fine details, which I appropriate into my image library. The old car designers, Loewy, Earl, etc. inspire me as their work was so classy. None of my work resembles renaissance architecture, high school work or low-slung pastel streamliners.

I must admit, I haven’t read through your interview completely (freaking moving sucks!) but wanted to pass on some congratulations for getting some great attention like this. I’ve really enjoyed your first pullover blog and level perspective on design on the forums…