Design for the deaf-mute

The population of deaf-mute children in deaf-mute school is getting less and less with the development of medicine and technology, besides, compared with other handicapped, the deaf-mute has less difficulties.

Do you think is it necessary or meaningful to design some facilities in deaf-mute school for those children?

Thanks! :stuck_out_tongue:

I feel that the best way to know is to personally visit the institutions to find out. But still, I find it meaningful to start with.

This question sounds inhumane to my ears.

Are you asking an ethical question in marketing terms - or a marketing question in ethical terms?

If you are asking an ethical question then I would say: If even one person is excluded from a society because that society cannot be bothered to look after her, then what does that say about that society?

If you are asking a marketing question, then all you really do is need to run some statistical analysis on the numbers of children - but you will still have to deal with it as an ethical question.

The fact that you further make the claim that people who cannot speak or hear have “less difficulties” than others is even tougher to fathom - that is, unless you have experienced all of these disabilities personally and are in the position to compare them.

???

Do even know what you’re asking?

Inclusive/universal design means equal access for anyone with disabilities. Federal ADA guidelines passed in the 90’s mandate any public facility must have provisions for the handicapped (which includes deaf and mute). Its not a choice - you have do do it.

It’s very simple, if you are missing one of your senses, you will have more difficulty. It’s not necessarily life threatening, but certain facets of life will take more time and effort, or be impossible.

One of my mom’s co-workers is deaf so her department took sign language lessons. Mom got good enough to befriend this person and she said that this person tends to interact only with the people who’ve learned to sign. And some years ago, I worked with a deaf woman. She is lucky enough to read lips and have some speech capability. She told me that the biggest problem they have is the language barrier, which results in a segregated sub-culture (much like the community of foreign language students that hang out in every school). They are being “shunned” by the world without deserving it… that hurts.

And I hav a friend that is now legally blind after slowly losing his peripheral vision for that past 20 years (something like retina pigments?). His biggest problem is that most communication is visual, like this forum. Environments that change a lot give him trouble, like when his favour cafe’ re-decorated. He even has trouble with cell phones… usually with the fact that they do not have good non-visual features like aural call display or easy feel buttons and controls. He has told me he would gladly trade both legs to have one of his eyes.

Don’t you dare say it is easier.

:)ensen

I’ll say this for this board: most of the questions posted are inarticulate, poorly thought out, often inappropriate for this board, naive, and more.

But the responses, while appropriately critical, are engaging, clever, smart, with good experiences and stories.