design for good or evil?

Improper disposal of waste IS a terrible tragedy.
Luckily we already thought of this. You’ll find this on the bottom of this product and many others

From a consumer standpoint, I dig it. I like the packaging, and find that these things tend to find themselves being left out sometimes, so why not look nice… from a “designer” and more so from a skeptic’s position, I was just wondering if this was just a new candy wrapper on the same stuff, which brought in the question if it was a bad thing?

But then again, that new candy wrapper is beautiful, there isn’t enough beauty in the world, mostly resulting from what I think of as corporate laziness (“why should we invest time to make this pretty, when it sells as is?”). I think Method is the perfect poster child, I don’t have to hide my dish soap or transfer it into a nicer container, it already comes in a nice container… so I guess I answered my own question from my point of view. It is a good thing from my perspective.

Unfortunately, most of the waste accumulating in the ocean isn’t coming from Western consumers. A lot of it is actually raw injection molding pellets, probably being washed down the river from factories in Asia. This contamination is especially bad, because the pieces are small and easily enter the food chain from the bottom. Most of the rest likely comes from consumer and industrial waste in Asia. Most of those countries don’t even have adequate landfill facilities, let alone recycling. Anyone who’s ever been to say, Ho Chi Minh city, can attest to the vast quantities of trash lying around everywhere. When it rains, that shit gets washed out to sea.

YO,

We deal with this everyday at Mars. It all has to do with complexity. As a major CPG (consumer Package Goods) group in a large company we want to provide new packaging solutions for all new products, but when it comes down to the finances it is all about what we have and what is easiest. I know this sounds stupid and lame but it is reality. We have tried to convenience marketing to do something cool with our Dove chocolates for a long time but the everyday pkg still ends up in a laydown bag because it is the cheapest and easiest to do.

I see this being the same with this lotion. They have many different varieties that come in that same shape bottle so they just change the color and call it done. I do have to say though the bottle does a very good job of speaking to Vaseline and the old retro container that our parents had in their house. There is a good sense of brand loyalty here.

I hope this helps.

Sorry for the double post…

But then again, that new candy wrapper is beautiful, there isn’t enough beauty in the world, mostly resulting from what I think of as corporate laziness (“why should we invest time to make this pretty, when it sells as is?”). I think Method is the perfect poster child, I don’t have to hide my dish soap or transfer it into a nicer container, it already comes in a nice container… so I guess I answered my own question from my point of view. It is a good thing from my perspective.

I think if we really look at the product it is more of a product line rather than a single product. Also if you look at the top profile of the bottle you will see that it mimics the old Vaseline jar with a modern touch. I feel this was probably their goal which I feel they did a very good job of. I do agree that its not a trendy as the Method bottle but you do have to remember that Vaseline Lotion has had a large following for a very long time and to change their proposition that drastic could result in loss of sales.