design for good or evil?

SO I saw this the other day and I felt somewhat conflicted by it.

One one hand, great design, matches the target audience (at least I thought to myself that I would by that if I was shopping for moisturizer)

On the other hand, it’s pretty much the same stuff as in the other bottles right?

But why not have a choice of bottles?These are things we interact with everyday, and if they are making enough to justify the molds, it kind of makes sense I guess.

Anyway, just thought I would throw it out there.
LotionsRangeNonNew.jpg

i like the new packaging and ad campaign. When a brand that is affiliated with one gender tries to market to the other one it usually ends up just pandering. But this seems like a genuine message and product to a new user. I like that they took a completely different tact. I love the idea that a skin product can come in a black package.

You dont happen to know who did the ad work and new packaging?

Well it is black, so its obviously evil.

just another waste, over packaged, “new and improved” that aint…

Actually it looks more like a navy on my screen.

I don’t mind this at all really, and I’m usually pretty cynical about this sort of thing.
If the gender repackaging of the same stuff can sell some more product, or at least enough to ammortize the extra production tooling, why not?
If it can’t, it will go away soon enough and they’ll chalk it up to experience.

My wife and I share the same (women’s) deodorant, so obviously I am not too concerned about my hygiene products having a masculine image.

I don’t know, the whole idea of “Vaseline for Men” or even “lotion for men” has some unfortunate connotations (which are subtly reinforced by that graphic). Even if I just had dry skin, I’d be embarrassed buying this.

looks pretty typical “men’s”, mass-market cosmetic product to me. Not as tacky as the XXXTREME Gillete/Axe stuff, but still, meh.

I think the better stuff (both product quality and packaging) are things like Kiehl’s, Shiseido Men, and Zirh. Don’t seem as pandering and speak more to the product than marketing (though of course it is all marketing).

Most things like this I think are typically packaged in different ways to appeal to different consumers. Not sure if the forumlas are exactly the same or not, but read someplace for example that often toothpaste comes in 3 different varieties (say, gel, paste, and gel with extra mint), but is packaged in 10 different ways (ie. super clean, whitening, advanced complete, regular, protection+fresh, protection+whitening, etc.), when in reality most of the stuff inside is the same even in different packages. It just responds to different perceived needs of the consumer.

Also somewhat (maybe) related along these lines is the phenomenon of choice in things like tomato sauce. I remember hearing a great TED talk podcast by malcolm gladwell about how there was no “perfect” pasta sauce, but rather different people like different things (ie. some extra saucy, some thick, some spicy, etc.).

(http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/malcolm_gladwell_on_spaghetti_sauce.html)

perhaps this packaging targets a certain consumer who wouldn’t buy the standard, non-gender defined vaseline product (below), but want something “for men”. Not necessarily a bad, thing i think. why did you think it was perhaps “EVIL”?

R

I don’t know if you guys have noticed, but we shop at a Super Target for just about everything we need (groceries + other crap). I can buy almost all of my toiletries there EXCEPT a decent manly aftershave. All they stock is $6.00 per tube m e t r o s e x u a l cremes. All I want is a cheap Gillette aftershave, but they force you into buying some overpriced, over-scented crap because of their assortment.

Having actually sold other products to Target and hanging out at their HQ building it’s easy to see why their aftershave assortment looks like it does. The building is populated by 20-something women (fashion show) and gay guys (not that anything is wrong with that…). Their planograms are sometimes more a reflection of their buyers tastes than their customers tastes.

$6.00 doesn’t seem that overpriced to me. mind you, i buy the small 125ml bottles of the Kielhl’s cleaners that is something like $25.00. I figure if I can’t splurge on my face, then what can I splurge on. oh…rationalization…

still, could be worse. that Shiseido men’s night skin correcting cream or whatever it’s called is like $80 for a small 50ml pot!

Ok, i’ll admit it. im a sucker for stuff like this…got maybe 10 different tubes/bottles of stuff on my counter at the moment…at least I don’t spend the $$ on the hair styling stuff, just the shave cream (got no hair!).

R

should come in a grease gun…oh that right none of you know what that is.

If you mean this:

Then yeah, that would be one rad bottle.

Really though, products like this could be distributed through an Automat style venue that dispenses by the ounce, bring your own vessel, the current marketing methods are environmentally shameful.

I suppose every little bit counts but its really just a drop in the bucket. Only about 5% of cracked crude goes toward plastics. The majority goes towards fuel. If the little bit didn’t get made into resins, it would be thrown out. You might make an argument for production or transportation impact but compared to other products that are trumpeted in the design blogo-forum-sphere (autos), its small.

Another thing to consider is Unilever didn’t just dream this up one day and push it on unsuspecting innocent men. The probably went thru rounds of consumer studies, focus groups, ethnographic analysis. They came up with this product - a product that they apparently concluded men want. Is it evil to give someone what they want?

got crack?

This is friggin great- A bunch of dudes jabbin’ about their bathroom activities and preferences… nice, real nice MD! Been in Mass for a couple months and look at what you’re doin’ here. lol

Not sure if you gents noticed- but its not necessarily different tooling, as much as more tooling. The bottles are the same as the “non-men centered” ones, just a color palette change or colorway.

Personally- it would seem to me that some things are unisex, some aren’t- and some just don’t care. I have the big green bottle of Aloe myself (feels good after shaving my precious money maker).

But it would seem that Vaseline is simply following a customer centric model of marketing using design (albeit primitively- hey Bob, what about blue?). But they obviously want to increase the market presence among male and female buyers. Focusing on subtle ways to hit that, is just good business- you know, for pansies… ahem

But in regards to the bottle selection- how would you accomplish this (even though I like the idea)? A Vaseline coutner for guys or gals to choose in front of other guys or gals walking by- good luck. Maybe Slurpee style, a machine you walk up to, grab a bottle, and pull the lever that makes you cringe because you pull it too slow and it still blasts over your shirt.

I use Biotherm made in Monaco. Imagine the carbon footprint. I don’t eat bananas or buy roses though. shrug

I think it’s ok. This is the world of increasing market diversification that we live in.

That’s a bit of a stretch isn’t it - hand lotion = illegal narcotics? Not even the same conversation.

I think it was an attempt at humor based on the petroleum comment above.

If I had to by my own stuff, I would probably get something like what Richard posted, but I just use whatever overpriced stuff my wife gets…

WHOOOOOSH

My bad - to much coffee this morning perhaps

I submit the following as an example of it’s minuscule impact:

At least glass doesn’t float eh?