Design Education

Just curious, if anyone knows how to get marketing departments to understand the importance of design. I work in a corporate environment and it seems like the marketing really has no time for it. Design is never really understood and is definately not given enough consideration.
Has anyone experieced this and can anyone shed light on how to better communnicate the benefits and effects on creating new brands and improving old ones?

Thanks…

…i’ve done this…find a high traffic area, like a break room or connecting hallway and display blown-up pix of id mags anual “best of” include one or two sentence discriptions of the market and finacial success with each pix (start with just one pix and add to your display regularly)…i have also purchased well designed products if they were under $100 or so and displayed them spot-lit on a pedistal…and i have sent out weekly design news letter emails…it just depends on the time and $ you have to spend…there is a book titled “Marketing Aesthetics…” which is spot on to your subject…read it, carry it around (let them see you with it), send a copy to your favorite marketing clod for thier birthday…