Design Crimes: Crap car stereo

hahhahahahha is right.

Another winner from Dual.

BTW: I don’t expect more for $20, I just wish the s-head that I bought my car from hadn’t bought the POS stereo. I would have preferred a hole in the dash to that crap.

I like the tube, this would be a nice touch on a retro style unit for a late 60’s - late 70’s car. The rest of it is so early 80’s I’m surprised they didn’t put a boombox style cassette tray on it instead.

that panasonic is kinda steam punk. I would love a steam punk headunit tbh.

Why aren’t more products steam punk sourced? screw modernism lets have an arts and crafts throwback to all that far eastern plastic nonsense.

the tube one is clearly wankery…
im no audiophile, but I honestly don’t think that having a tube in your head unit is anything more than a gimmick. A car is hardly the listening environment to be able to hear a ‘warmer’ sound. Unless you get limo-ed around the place, in which case you don’t have a head-unit anyway…

The interface isn’t too shabby, (especially compared to the others) but…

wankery. clearly.

I HAD this head unit a few years ago (now someone else has it…by force, if you catch my drift)

The button interface was very nice and minimal, but the touch screen menus could have been refined a bit more.

In general, I decided that touch screens are somewhat scary in cars since it is very hard to control them “by feel” without looking down at it and risking driving off the road! This stereo had MANY layers of menus and features that could accidentally be activated if the wrong button was pressed too many times.

I still miss it though.

othantorr_1112733094_lhx501_02.jpg
othantorr_1112733076_lhx501_03.jpg

Absolutely, but it is eyecatching. Vacuum tubes are great, and beautiful, but about as practical as a turntable in an automotive application.
Thats why I mentioned that it would only really fit in a retro application.
Imagine this in a '66 Olds Toronado!

Norelco Auto Mignon In-Car Turntable, 1961. (four years before 8-Track)

“They were designed for use in specific cars, but dealers started installing them in car outside of the manufacturer’s recommendations. Since the player was calibrated for specific car suspensions, this led to a lot of dissatisfied customers and ultimately the demise of this unique idea.”

i heard paul mccartney’s mini had an built int record player. i honestly don’t know how that would have fitted…

-Who makes that blue/silver/LCD/gundam opening head unit? I don’t think theres enough room on it to put a brand name!

-The McIntosh head unit on its own looks nice, but it would look really awkward in a contemporary car interior like a BMW or Audi. Then again, so would that gundam head unit.