Design Crimes: Any bathrooms w/ an electric eye

Okay I am the first to admit that it is nice to go into a pubic restroom and not have to touch all the nasty germ infested handles and what not…But why do I always have to find the sweat spot of these things. Example…I am standing at a urinal doing my business and all of a sudden it flushes before I am done. I now get the mist of the toilet, which is really nasty, I then go to the sink and put my hand under the no touch soap dispenser and move it back and forth for a small penny size dollop of soap to come out. After that I put my hand under the sink for it not to work and then have to wave my hand back a forth for it to come on full blast and blow the soap off my hand and have to the process again. Next I go to get a paper towel and wave my hand like an idiot because it never notices that I am there for it to give me (because of sustainability) a small paper towel that I can dry my hand with so I have to do it twice.

Can’t we design these things to actually work when you put you hand in a place where you as a user think that it will see it? Seriously, I cannot be the only one that gets extremely pissed off when I use these things. We have doors that open when you walk towards them, why cant we have sinks that work when I put my hand under them.

Maybe you don’t have a soul? :wink: (simpsons reference)

I agree with you. For some reason I always fail to activate those blow dryers. You stand there for 2 minutes waving your hands under it, and are forced to the conclusion that it’s broken. You step away, only to witness the next guy succeed. You feel like an idiot.

However this seems more like an engineering problem. I’d design it away altogether - paper towels, pedals instead of buttons, etc. Or just make the sensor visible so you know what to punch when it fails.

The only thing worse is to wave your hand back & forth only to sheepishly figure out that you have to manually turn on the faucet… :blush:

I’m waiting for a woman to chime in here. This has to be my wife’s biggest public restroom complaint. There’s got to be a better method.

On the other hand, they do cut the “Press Button, Receive Bacon” defacements on the blowers to just one step.

The problem with these things is that drops of water fall on the sensor/camera lens of these devices, so they just can’t detect your movement properly. Why not do things like dosed paper dispenser mechanically?

They have those, where pulling on the paper moves a roller with a cutter on it, then it locks the main roll and puts a cut in the towel!

I was in a trendy restaurant in Trois-Riviere last weekend. The faucet design in the bathroom was so confusing. The handle for the faucet was mounted seperately on the wall, but was very simple looking with a cylinder projecting out horizontally. I thought the handle was a soap dispenser, so I kept waving my hands under the faucet, assuming there was a sensor, for about 15 seconds. I started looking under the faucet to see where the sensor was before concluding that I must have to manually open the faucet. I poked the handle until the faucet came on. Big FAIL.

Ahhh… the price of trendiness…

All of the above applies equally to public water fountains as well. Ahhh … the crosses we bear. :wink:

I think it just has to do with the sensitivity of the sensors. They could turn it up, but then every soap dispenser would go off every time you walked by the row of sinks. I agree with electroflux, those ones with the rollers that cut the towels are great, such a more user friendly and simpler solution. The best air dryers I have seen are where you actually put your hands down into an opening on the dryer and it blows a “plane” of air (for lack of a better word) about at your wrists, you just pull your hands out slowly and they are dry when they come out. The whole thing takes about 4 seconds and your hands are actually dry, not pseudo dry with all of those “receive bacon” type blow dryers.

Did a little research AFTER I posted (go figure) turns out its by Dyson. Its called the airblade, and it is sweet.