design academy eindhoven

so this is my dream school and i want to learn everything about it i can. help? please?

whare are you from?
what educaon have you had?
what course do you want to do bacholor or masters?
what type of design are you interested in product, car, fashon…?

then we can help!

i am a second year architecture student in the states. I became interetesed in eindhoven after seeing the work of alumni such as maarten bass and joris laarman. I love the philosophy of the school, the structure of courses. My interest in industrial design has a broad spectrum- but always products that merge function and conceptual quality- one of the main reasons i’m attracted to this university in particular. I am debating whether I should apply for the bachelors as a transfer student or wait for a masters. Any information/ experience with this university would be much appreciated.

if you realy want to go there go for the masters program as the IM course is run by droog (best design company in the word) it has produced some grate work recently such as designer Joris Laarman who produced the heatwave concreat radiator.

unforchonatly you have just mised the exibition of master students work it was on the 15th july.

definetly the masters forget the bacholour program in your already half way through one.

for the bacholour program you must know dutch whare you down on the masters as a large number are intonatonal you speck english plus there are onaly 20 places a year for intonatonal students on the bacholour course

good luck and cheack ot the other discushons on the bourd just search for eindhoven

ment to say you do not need to now dutch for the masters not: you down need

for give me english is my second langwage

Im from Chile, and I was accepted at design Academy bachelor, It was really hard to be accepted, because the application procedure is quite long and expensive...but finally it was really good to wait for it. If you want to study there, just take your stuffs and try!!! you have nothing to lose just gaining... Just one advice! when you will do your works portfolio, just be yourself, dont try to show off, doing stupid things like a pro designer, because they want to teach you something…it`s logic, isnt it?
And in the bachelor first year there is an international course english-based first year. but you have a compulsory first year dutch curse (350 euros).
then in the second year you could be speaking dutch. if not you should continue on english-based course.

Well, I hope this is usefull for you.

If someone knows about international loans, or schoolarships, o whatever can help me to finance a part of my studies, please send me that information to toledotaegui@yahoo.com. don`t hesitate to mail if u have questions.

See U

Manuel

DAE IM Master’s alumni here.

This is a good question because the undergrad and grad programs are very different (even though they are in the same school).

Can’t talk much about the undergrad, but know a whole lot about the grad program

There are actually 3 different master’s programs:

-IM Masters (headed by Gijs and Renny of Droog fame). Basically it is about conceptual/contextual design.

-FunLAB (headed by Canadian Cynthia Hathaway). “Designed Expereince” with a lot of corporate support.

-Design for Humanity (headed by Lucy Orta). Trying to find a soul within design.

These programs are really meant for people who have graduated and have been out in the real world and have a direction they would like to take 2 years in doing it. They are not for the squeamish though. Hard thinking, the crits are brutal, the facility is beautiful but doesn’t work like a traditional studio (not open on weekends, etc). A lot of beautiful stuff made here, a lot of alums are successful, but also a lot of people crash and burn. Also remember that the people who teach here more or less resurrected conceptual thought and have seen everything. Again, not for the faint of heart.

About the undergrad- there are Americans going there right now- If you contact the school they can give you their contact information.

Hey Guest, if you’re a guy interested in furniture, product design and all you want to do for 2 years is keep making stuff in the workshop and rendering, modeling, is DAE the right place to go? which course would you recommend?

hey is it expensive there…

hi all.

i’m one of those americans in the bachelor’s program in eindhoven.

link: i don’t think this is your thing. the workshop facilities here are mediocre, and rendering and modeling skills are not important. yes, the famous graduation projects have great production values, but those come from learning to outsource production rather than any kind of technical skills.

guest: tuition is quite cheap, life is pretty affordable, too. as long as you come in with enough money – it’s hard to find a job here as a foreigner.

aime: if you love the grad work and the philosophy, etc., come check it out! the school is insanely disorganized compared to american schools, but what’s really valuable is the chance to really work through your creative process and develop your personal style. about learning dutch, though - start studying it before you come. if you start as a transfer student, you may well have classes in dutch.

To link, “guest here” (I gotta register for real here someday).

It is a good place to spend 2 years on a single thing. They want you to concentrate on that and have stripped the programs down so that you can do exactly that.

However, what you would be modelling is your thinking and ways of manifesting that into form. If you have strong feelings about design and how a designer relates to the world, then it may be for you. It would be a horrible and lonely place to simply camp out for 2 years though.

Expense? Tuition’s not bad <10K per year id guess, but bring a wheelbarrel full of cash. You will burn through supplies like no tomorrow.

To amie-

There is a new program in the US that that you may be interested in. Look up the “Designed Objects” program at the Art Institute of Chicago. They are looking at a lot of the same issues that DAE is and are focusing on building and making- (with real studios to work in) and they seem to have a lot of outside support and are well funded.

i’m interested in DAE too…i think they compare with cranbrook…
i can see many of their alumni have started their own firms…if they are not teaching skills in the master’s (NO drawing, 3D modelling,etc…?!) - so what the hell are you paying for?

To mikey (from the IM DAE grad)

In general,

graduate schools like DAE and Cranbrook assume that you already know the fundemental skills (sketching, 3d form development, mockups and modelmaking) when you arrive.

What they are interested in is helping you for formulate your own direction for design and how that you, as a designer, will influence the world around you. 2 years is just enough to get started on it.

That is why you see so many (including me) start their own studios after graduating- they are interested in pursuing their own vision of design.

thanks mate! that’s a good point.

do you have a website that i can check out?
also can you tell me more about your experience during your 2 years stay there…how’s eindhoven? is it a boring place? how does it compare to amsterdam?

where do you fabricate your prototypes? does DAE have prototyping facilities?
wood, metal workshops? how about plastic? how about rapid prototyping like CNC, laser-cutters and 3D printers? are materials available in the area?

ya DAE is good i guess - but is it true that italian manufacturers/designers don’t take them dutch designers seriously?

is it because dutch design is cheesy?

how’s eindhoven? is it a boring place? how does it compare to amsterdam?

eindhoven doesn’t compare to amsterdam.

amsterdam is a beautiful city with cultural life and people from all over the world and fantastic galleries and cafes and canals and so on. eindhoven is an ugly, working-class city that feels much smaller than its actual size (pop. 500,000 i think) because of its lack of any cultural outlets and people’s narrow mindset. there is one good music venue, one good art-film house, and maybe three okay cafes. safe to say, if you’re coming here, it’s not for the town.

if you have the money to travel, it’s pretty central and you can get to a lof of other places from here; ryanair has ridiculously cheap flights from eindhoven to london, milan, barcelona and a couple of other places, and of course you can take buses or trains.

where do you fabricate your prototypes? does DAE have prototyping facilities?

if you want to do prototyping you’ll have to contact factories or studios yourself; the workshop facilities (metal, plastic, wood, textile, plaster/clay) are crummy. no cnc, no rapid prototyping, no laser cutting. students mostly make models by hand. however, many of the teachers are or have good connections, and the name “design academy” can open a lot of doors for you in this country.

Im just wondering, to anyone who has done or is doing an undergrad at DAE, what level of proficency in dutch is necessary? I’ve heard kind of conflicting answers. Have any of you gone to the school without knowing any dutch, or very little? I’m curious. I’m willing to learn the language, however I want to know how much i should study before i consider attending (or if that is even realistic). Thanks everyone.

-nathan

…just something a bit different. If you are interested in a masters that deals with interaction design - and especially centering the whole designing around the users - maybe check out Denmark too. Still not the place for learning the fine industrial designer skills, but you can get that anywhere anyway.

Everyine talks about user experiences, meaningful interactions- great but where to you learn that??? Try to check out the multidisciplinary course:
www.itproducts.sdu.dk

been a student there myself - and there#s people working at ideo, smart design, microsoft and other places by now…
take care :slight_smile:

that depends on a lot of things. what year you’re planning to start in. how much dutch you want to learn. and which department you plan to major in.

i’d recommend learning some dutch before you come here. it’ll make life easier, especially if you’re starting in a higher year. for international students, the first year is entirely in english. after that, classes are divided into compass classes and design department classes. compass will be in english, but your department might not be. activity, well-being, and identity are currently taught in english. other departments might not even be bothered to give you a quick english recap of the day’s lesson.

the school does offer dutch language classes, but they’re expensive and slow going: for 350 euros, plus 50 euros for the book, you meet with the teacher once a week.