design academy eindhoven - the best design school?

i have read somewhere that this design school is “the best in the world”.
i think this was mentioned by the owner of MOSS in new york times.

is there any truth behind this?

i’m in the bachelor’s program at design academy eindhoven, and i’d have to say the answer is NO.

it’s the best-promoted design school in the world.

yes, it has many famous grads. but that reflects the small size and insular nature of the dutch design community, as well as the dutch penchant for marketing and exporting their homegrown talent, more than it reflects the education provided at this school.

you probably saw core77 reviewing our graduation show this week as well as the rest of dutch design week in eindhoven. that’s how big this school’s PR machine is. it can bring the world to this awful little industrial town. but the fact is, dutch design week was 90 percent hype and only about 10 percent remotely interesting design.

as for the school, it does produce some good designers. but it doesn’t teach any useful skills, like technical drawing or rendering or 3d modeling software or modelmaking, for example. what it does offer is the chance to discover your personal style and, if you’re really really lucky, to show off that style in milan or new york.

sorry to be so negative, it’s rainy out and i had a really bad day. there are other days when i’m happy to be here. but all of what i’ve written is true even on good days.

p.s. i don’t know if murray moss said that. but the person who usually writes that the design academy is the best design school in the world, and who writes it for prestigious design magazines like frame and metropolis m, is louise schouwenberg - and she’s a teacher here. so much for objective reporting.

or some blogger who wants to be famous too and jump on the bandwagon:

ehv, may i know what courses are you studying there (if you don’t study drawing, rendering and 3D modelling)?

hope you can share your experience.
thanks!

no problem, karim.

in the first quarter of the first year, we had:
o “drawing” (the teacher announced that some people can’t draw, so we were welcome to use whatever media we wanted),
o “sketching” (we watched old Hitchcock and Kurosawa movies and were supposed to draw storyboards from them)
o architecture (we designed a single-family house, which was quite cool. but didn’t use CAD, had to fend for ourselves on the modelmaking front, and instead received handouts on what floor plans looked like.)
o sustainable design (this lone 8-week course is good, but except for a lecture series, it’s the entire basis for the school’s claim that it teaches sustainable design)
o philosophy
o art history
o intro to the computer lab (3-hour intros to illustrator, photoshop, and dv respectively)
o we should have had dutch, but it turned out the dutch teacher had been fired 3 years before and never replaced. instead, some students found a dutch teacher on their own.

our most skill-intensive quarter included:
o ceramics
o metal
o “optimalization studies” - a whole class just to teach us to sketch many minute variations on our ideas
o “perception and behavior” - this class about people’s interaction with products was taught by a researcher from delft and was actually really cool.
o more art history
o “forms from nature” - we were assigned an animal, plant or structure to make a model of, but no, we were not taught how to make models at this or any other time
o and maya - yes, i exaggerated about the 3-d modeling programs, we did learn one.

and these are our compass classes, the point of which is to teach us basic skills. what they really teach us is more a design academy way of thinking. there are also the design department classes, but those vary widely by department.

hope that gives a clearer idea… i’m not trying to say this school is bad, just that it’s over-hyped and awfully soft on technical skills.

thanks ehv! i hope you like my name, haha!

that was good info. somehow i question the lack of skill building - but if you look on the brighter side other schools also miss the design thinking that you get from the design academy. so it’s actually a win-some-lose-some situation.

i actually have a bfa in ID and am looking to take my master’s…but no prob, even if your tips are from undergrad at least it gave me an idea.

i graduated from a school that is very crafts based, not much tech skills, but had lots of drawings and color composition. i studied 3D on my own.

if you have other insider tips you wanna share maybe we can email off list?
thanks!

gotta go - need to play some basketball with the LA lakedesigners!!!

hi…ehv.thx for ur information .
I am the 1st yr ID student from IED. Actually I am thinking about having an exchange student program to DAE in my bottom of 2nd year.
Can u talk more about what u do in 2nd year ?
Any other advices will be great, too.

From reading the summary of the curriculum - it sounds like drawing/sketching is neglected, of course there is a lot of other great things, but in my experience if you come out of school with great models and poor sketching, no matter what school it is, you’ll have a very hard time landing a job.