Dealing with rejection

for the past 3 or 4 weeks i have been concentrating on 1 job offer. it was first to be for an internship, but evolved into a real graphic designer position. I interviewed through HR, the internship head, and then on to the creative designers for the graphic design position. I revamped my portfolio (an actual made from scratch portfolio with matching logobook) from school to internship interview, and then from internship interview to pro job. I was asked to do 3-4 mock designs to be considered in which i went way and beyond and did like 25 solid designs. i bought some new clothes (twice! 1 outfit for internship position and 1 outfit for the pro job), i took a day and a half off from work to to prep myself (learn more about the company and what to say.) I also made sure to create a self promo leave behind poster along with some post cards just so they wont forget me. prints and portfolio were all perfect, resumes were in my portfolio, i was looking shape, and feeling confident and i was well prepared. all interviews went super well and i walked out with no regrets. then after playing a 5 day waiting game for a call, i finally get a call to hear…“unfortunately we decided to go with another canidate” along with some bs that was supposed to make me feel better. rejection sucks! it was all just a big tease, all wasted effort. only thing i can do now is learn from mistakes i dont even know i made. not once was i being an arrogant cocky fool, im as modest as can be. maybe that was my problem? but then again i can blame everything at this point. anybody else ever been in this situation. man! i need to get on the rebound big time fast. that company will regret!

time to begin phase 2…

Most importantly, don’t be put down man, I know people who had to wait a year to get a job after an MA course, people really worthy, but they finally landed a big one, so keep pushing, you do learn from this experiences, from dealing with those two faced bastards, to be a bit cocky (by the way, it doesnt matter how cocky you are as long as you do the job, at least when inside a studio, your boss doesnt want to be your friend, but he you to save his ass when it’s at stake).
Push it man, according to the post you are doing a great job.

It wasn’t wasted time, don’t look at it like that. It’s a learning experience, and it could’ve easily had been what they said, they went with the other guy for whatever reasons. If there’s only room for 1, only 1 will get it, don’t take it personally. Use the new revamped portfolio and gear to hunt elswhere. No interview is ever really a waste, even if all you get out of it is that you should avoid that place or try harder next time, etc…you should always try to get something useful from every encounter, good or bad. It’ll make you better in the long run. Good luck, don’t give up.

Robot,

Its not a big tease and definitely not a waste of time. You gotta understand that the interviewing process is a filtering process. A process of elimination… akin to American Idol. The reason you made it this far is a good indication of how good you are. Rejection happens to the best of us. Keep in mind that rejection is the norm, not the exception. Sometimes it doesnt matter how prepared, researched, and humble you are. If you’re work is not as good as your competitors’, there’s nothing you can do about it.

keep on truckin

It happens. There will be other offers. I know of several instances when jobs have been offered, then rescinded at the last moment.

Bottom line, if you don’t have it in writing then don’t put your eggs all in one basket.

oh, I’ve been in that same situation soooo many times. Bought new outfits and all too. I was unemployed for two years before I got my current job so you can imagine the number of interviews and rejections I went through. Don’t lose your confidence and don’t take it personal because it will influence your next interviews. Don’t waste your time thinking about what went wrong or why they didn’t hire you. Use that energy to look for other jobs and intensify your search. One thing I learned is that you need to be cocky and proud of your work, sell yourself.

It’s not easy but you’ll survive. It takes time and I don’t regret it, now that I am at this job I’m glad I was rejected by the previous ones. Honestly, its almost as if this one had been waiting for me. Sometimes things happen for a reason.

Thanks to everyone with all their insight. It really put things in perspective and made me feel alot better. I have already emailed a thank you and also asked what the position actually came down to…in which they replied experience. They said they loved my work but when it all came down to it experience was the case. but then i think why even consider me when you already knew i was fresh out of school anyways?! man, i just wanted a internship. i think so negative. oh well…i’m over it now, theyll be better opportunities for me later. life goes on.

Visit my super old website (look out for the sequel this spring!)
http://students.uta.edu/hh/hhm8120/home.html

i totally understand your frustrations, i just graduated a few months ago and have been through a lot of trials and interviews. i think the biggest thing i learned is to have patience and realize there are tons of people fresh out of school and want the same things you do. so you have to make yourself stand out. i’ve also heard the “not enough experience” part and i just don’t get it. i had two internships in school too and did freelance jobs, its still not enough. my advice is to keep your head up and keep going for what you want, but never give up. -peace

having sat on the other side of the table many times and strange as it may sound…sometimes the ‘best’ do not get the job…often the apparent difference between candidates is so slight that the reality can be lost…sometimes ‘not enough experience’ really means ‘i am to busy or too stupid to give you a reason that would be meaningful to you’…interviewing is not rocket science…just about any idiot can do it and alot do…

from your description it sounds like you may have come across as desparate for this job, not a good thing.

Everyone here feels that pain. I graduated in August 2001- right about when the economy was getting soft. Noone was hiring for about a year- Rejection letters were headed at me left right and center. It is very difficult to take but it also sounds like you did your due diligence and gave it your best shot. I would say that you are a few steps ahead of where you were before. Use all the info that you gleaned and see this as a practise run for other interviews. Research more companies and get yourself in gear. Action is always the best antidote to rejection.

Nice site BTW- looks a lot better than a lot of stuff I have seen (if a little heavy on the bandwidth given the style)

You know, in a situation like that, when you do get the rejection call, you have a right to ask why. That is, don’t whine or get argumentative, but ask frankly what’s missing from your portfolio, what they’re looking for that you don’t have, what sort of candidate got the job, etc. As long as you ask politely and with the intent of learning more about yourself and becoming a stronger candidate, people will tend to be courteous and answer your questions.

Here’s what I don’t understand. I’ve gotten plenty of rejection letters lately. They’re getting easier to deal with. it’s demoralizing and depressing, especially when you feel, as you might and I do, like you have a lot to offer and an ethic to work your ass off, yet no one will give you the chance to prove yourself. I’m learning that it just comes with the territory, but here’s what I think really sucks: hearing nothing at all. I recently interviewed with a company, had my portfolio shaped up, had good rapport with the interviewer, and got a call for a 2nd interview. That went well too. I was told I’d hear back in a day or 2. Nothing. I do a follow-up email a week later. Nothing. I make a follow-up phone call. Nothing. What’s up with that? You know, at this point, I’d be a lot happier just hearing, “thank you, but you’re not who we’re looking for right now.” I can respect that. I have a much harder time being left on a string. is this common business practice these days? Older workers I’ve talked to tell me it wasn’t common in the past.

I’ve experianced the same thing as the last poster. I might not be what you’re looking but the complete lack of courtesy is appalling. I find it hard to consider a firm that can’t even send a polite canned response professional. What a way to burn bridges.