Dead Before it Started - CrunchPad

Damn.

I would have loved to have seen this product off the ground!

Wow…what a weird post. I wonder how the “shareholders” feel now?

That is an odd and scary story. -Perhaps deserves it’s own post on the front page?

been to the same place a few times, got the scars and t shirt to prove it. Old rule of thumb, if you got the gold you make the rules. Another old rule of thumb “innovators are the first to the the axe”, sad but true, most investor types are confused and scared by innovators.

Its a conspiracy and Steve Jobs MUST be involved somehow, that sneaky turtleneck-ninja!

That was just my ridiculousness venting.

Its a shame though, and seems to be a very unordinary lock-up between the parties.

Ouch! My stomach sank reading the article. You can tell how hard it hit Arrington, and the birthday cake… jeez. It’s a good reminder to protect yourself legally for crap like this.

Most of them are scared by risk.

Innovation = new/different = un-proven = risk

Thinking about this some more I can’t really see the innovation in this product anyhow. A larger format portable touchscreen is the obvious direction that this technology will go (Apple tablet). The only differentiation here is that it is open source and not necessarily OS specific so that it has a potentially broader market than being locked down to the Mac OS.

It might be innovative in engineering, but not in concept, so it’s easy to see why Crunch got the rug pulled out from under them, their supplier/partner did most of the heavy lifting and felt entitled, rightly so. This guy’s innovation was wanting a portable touchscreen computer that he can sit on the couch and consume the internet; last I checked the iPhone/iTouch had this capability, but in a smaller format. Regardless, how open source does a piece of hardware really need to be to enable his basic concept?
I think open source OS’ and products are great, but the reality is that while open source is great for the user because of free reign, there has to be a greater need, it’s also harder to capitalize on for the vendor when their users are creating the content for themselves, for free.

Greenman I disagree, the true innovation in a products like this, and the iPhone, comes from the software. There’s demand for this sort of product, look at the rise in netbook sales and the apple tablet rumours, I know I’d love a CrunchPad. Sure you can browse the internet on your iPhone but only to a certain extent, it’s mobile and pocket size, not ideal.

Its really a shame this fell through. Even if the partner did ‘most of the heavy lifting’ Arrington and TechCrunch have a huge influence over the tech world and developer community, he would have played a vital part in the products success.

I think open source OS’ and products are great, but the reality is that while open source is great for the user because of free reign, there has to be a greater need, it’s also harder to capitalize on for the vendor when their users are creating the content for themselves, for free.

Open source is the way forward and if not already, should/will become the norm.
Users creating content (value) for themselves, for free - What on earth is wrong with this? It should be encouraged.

There’s nothing on Earth wrong with users creating their own content for free, or to create and sell to others via outlets like the app store and Android market, i’m all for it, in fact i’m all in on easier to use free tools for users to develop their own applications without feeling like they have to hack something else.

In regards to the iPhone’s limited web capability and size a logical Apple spin-off product using similar technology would be a larger format touchscreen device, hence the Tablet. There are lots of other things this tech can be applied to, but this is one of the more logical given Apple’s product line extensions, it’s not an if, but a when.

I also agree with you Boogey that the innovation comes from the software and the interface, absolutely, how often do you hear gamers talking up how s3xy their consoles look on the entertainment center? It’s all about the games and the experience.

And yes, Arrington and TechCrunch could have had a more innovative influence on the success of the product from a marketing/future development standpoint, but they lost that battle to someone else that wants to beat Apple to the punch and hit the market with a comparable product to the rumored Apple Tablet. These are the types of decisions made by investors, not innovators. Had TechCrunch put together a more solid proposal around “open source” and developed a stronger interaction between the software, hardware, and the user making them un-removable from the project then this may not have happened. We can only speculate at the project’s internal relationships. In the end the key-holders went with where they felt the highest profit would be and placed their bets on trying to one-up Apple, so it seems. Was it the right thing to do for the majority? No. Will it line a few people’s pockets? Yes. Will their decision pay off? Maybe.

My feeling is that Apple will destroy them in the end.