damned set of curious questions 5

RCA - Royal College of Art. Not many people on the forum seems to take notice of that…while the college takes in a lot of talented students globally all over the world… wonder why though ? Nothings popular here other than US colleges… not even the japanese ones count,…

but there are follish adults, like those you mentioned who squander tuition to be fools, behaving like children. If not worse than 9 yo…

Ignore them, part of life, they want to blow there bucks and be a fool hopefully they have a rich daddy to diaper them. IMO all designers or wannabes should work as a bartender for a while, get used to people of types and mindsets ivory towers are just limiting.

… easy to ignore them but problem students may not choose to ignore you… thats when the problem sprouts. If they have rich daddies to put up with their diapers, then you would be in smelly trouble…

agree that designers should work low for a while to get the taste of life. I also think that people who have gone through life at various levels are better people. I prefer to teach and work with people who are of modest family backgrounds — more humble, less paranoid, and much less egoistical.

oh come on now, your a adult i assume. People bugging is part of life, and your “students” seem to act more like children than young adults, something that I have not found in my experiance in asian countries.

…what I am getting at is that if we choose to take any kind of students without some kind of quality standard, don’t you think you will get some unwanted trouble ? Imagine colleges like Harvard, Cambridge etc taking in just about anyone. I think we would have a disaster. At the bare minimum, colleges should be very particular about the students’ character and motivation for the course.

You seem to have lived in Asia before. Most asian kids are very earnest about studying. So your observations are correct. But even in Asian countries, we do have a handful of problem students. And I have not heard any schools which just take in just about anybody. As far as i am aware, there is at least some kind of competition for prospective students.

Agree that in life there are no such thing as a smooth life. No one lives a life without people bugging them. But the issue here is about whether colleges should just take in anyone. I just don’t think educators should do that. Unless they are only after students’ money.

true, schools can only teach the fundamentals and the skills. Without that, students cannot be creative to formulate their thoughts. Though there are nothing new under the stratosphere, creative thinking cannot be totally thought. It can only guide a student. If the student fails to see things and learn how to observe and form new ideas/concepts, we cannot maximise what is given to us by mother nature.

Natural resourses are always there. It will always be the same only if we fail to see a new way to solve problems. Synthetic materials/ ideas/ thoughts etc are why we have an interesting place where ‘new’ things are innovated. Our civilisations’ progress is really dependent on brains.— how resourceful we are determines how strong and powerful it will be.

when we talk about ID here, we are talking to tertiary education. In that case, we should go beyond the notion of spoonfeeding. Even when we learn the basics of mathematics, there are ways of learning your formulars in a flexible way. A stupid student would learn their formulas by heart. An intelligent student would question how they come about the forumulas. The latter questions and asks the teacher. The teacher will have to explain how it is derived. In Singapore, the notion of spoonfeeding is fast becoming obsolete. Anyone who memorises will sure to get a bad grade. Even from their first years at primary school, mathematics is no longer about appling formulas. They are doing higher thinking order math. Those who are not creative enough usually do very badly.

true, schools can only teach the fundamentals and the skills. Without that, students cannot be creative to formulate their thoughts. Though there are nothing new under the stratosphere, creative thinking cannot be totally thought. It can only guide a student. If the student fails to see things and learn how to observe and form new ideas/concepts, we cannot maximise what is given to us by mother nature.

Natural resourses are always there. It will always be the same only if we fail to see a new way to solve problems. Synthetic materials/ ideas/ thoughts etc are why we have an interesting place where ‘new’ things are innovated. Our civilisations’ progress is really dependent on brains.— how resourceful we are determines how strong and powerful it will be.

Ivy leage schools are full of “problem kids” too, their folks may have been active alum’s with deep wallets, have some pull or what not. The biggest limiting factor to getting into a ivy league is $$$ if you got it, your in and if your in and blow it off your problem not theirs. Character, modivation hell hey are in flux at that age for lots of kids, some will find it some will not.

yes there are rotten kids at lvy leagues. I used to work with 2 of such grads and I really detest it. But I think if all things equal-that is both are rotten brats and all-- I would rather take in the academically abled and motivated student. But if there is a choice, i’d pick none.

My ideal student is one who is charismatic, altruistic, very wise and smart.
Character comes on my first choice. Followed by academic intelligence.

Work

What kind of graduates do you look for?
People that get along well with others, great sketching, general intelligence, design passion and knowledge.
Would you consider intregrity over intelligence?
Yes integrity and work ethic can overcome intelligence issues in the long run but we require a lot of both
Would you pick someone who is from a top school only ?
Almost exclusively. We do not have any designers on staff that are not from a top school www.evodesign.com (look under people)
Beinghardworking pays off. But if creativity is not there, would you insist that tonnes of practice could churn out creative work ?
I do not think that equation works when applied to creativity. It works great for learning skills like sketching, model making, etc.

exactly what I believe in except the college part. I do not agree that you will get top talents only from top colleges. Some of them hide in other colleges mainly because 1. they choose to because they find it suits their learning styles. 2. For personal reasons.