CSULB 6 Year ID Program or move on?

Hey everyone, I’m a pre-design student at California State University Long Beach right now and I will be entering into my 2nd year there this fall. I was looking over the “flow chart” for the ID program and the way classes are paced out, it will take roughly 6 years to complete the program with a BS. I am thinking that is a really long time just for a bachelors because i know other schools have programs that are sometimes 3-5 years. I think it might be too late to transfer but I thought i might get some opinions before i make a decision to stay or find another school.

I am leaning more towards, product design, furniture and housewares so if anyone has any ideas as to what schools are well known for that emphasis let me know. Any opinions you can give will be a great help.

Uh… I don’t know what you’re talking about. I looked at the website and it’s just 6 semesters in the ID program. So with your one year of pre-design, that’s a total of 4 years, which is what most programs are (8 terms/semesters). Seems like the lower and upper division have some difference? But the classes in both final years are the same if you look at the numbers. So I don’t know what you’re talking about.

Have you even talked to any upperclassmen or advisors? I’m pretty sure it’s a 4 year program, though, so just stick it out.

i dont know what you’re talking about tangerine because I personally talked to my advisor and he told me that the way they paced it out, it is a 6 year program. However, some who are “superstars” do sometimes graduate in 4 or 5 years. I have the paper right in front of me and its a 10 semester program…

http://www.csulb.edu/depts/design/CSULB_DESN/BS_Flow_Chart.html

Is that not the flowchart?

I do not know your school but 6 years for a bachelors sounds like a ridiculously drawn out education process.
To me it sounds more the the classic time frame in which you would acquire a Masters in Design.

If the 6 year thing is true, it is just a big waste of money and the huge money maker for the school.

CSULB does take about 6 years. You can do it in 5 if you’re quick but it’s very competitive and most take an extra year to repeat classes an build their portfolio in their 3rd or 4th year to be sure they will be accepted into junior studio. As far as being a money maker, tuition is $4k/year, thats no money maker no matter how long you stay.