coroflot skill's listed

So, I’m thinking about putting a Coroflot portfolio up. I’ve been browsing ID portfolio to get some ideas on the layout/content people use. I’ve noticed a bunch of people put down a long list of fabrication skills.

I see things like manual lathe and mill included directly next to a dremel tool? Makes me wonder; I looked over these peoples resumes and there is no job experience that indicate fabrication experience. Is going over the nomenclature of a thing enough to list it on your resume? If someone lists a machine on their resume I would expect that if I handed them a simple print they could make the part. The same thing goes for software.

Could anyone shed some light on whether this is common place to list everything you can? I’m just trying to understand because design resumes seem to list a lot of skills.

Listing individual tools as abilities seems a bit like overkill. “Model Making” makes more sense to me. Also, does it mean you only know how to work with a couple of tools? It’s like listing “Photoshop brush tool” rather than just “Photoshop.”

I was just using modelmaking skills as an example. But…
Model making alone does not say much as it can entail many things. No, it’s not like just listing Photoshop brushes rather than just Photoshop. It’s more like saying I’m experience in machining metal or soft tooling with RTV; two very different types of model making.

My question was about what is considered good practice in honestly representing your abilities?
For example should a person list CNC milling experience when they went over it briefly in a model making class (cutting foam)? Or if you go over a software tutorials does that mean you should list it on your resume?

I am hoping someone that has been working in industry could reply

As best practice, I’d only list skills you’d be comfortable using on your first day out of the gate. Anything that you have knowledge of, but wouldn’t be able to rock if someone sat you down in front of it and said, “here you go, see you at lunch,” I wouldn’t put down as a marketable skill.

Think of your skillset like “features” on the box of a product. I’d be pretty annoyed if I bought a tool that said “CNC Milling Ability” only to get it home and realize I had to spend 6 months programming the tool in order for it to be able to work as advertised.

It’s also important to be honest with your ability level. Don’t say “expert” or “proficient” if you’ve only used it a few times in a class.