core concepts

We all have core beliefs, some of mine are summed up here.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects! …R.A.H.

There is no such thing as ‘‘Social Gambling. Either you are there to cut the other blokes heart out and eat it–or you’re a sucker. If you don’t like this choice–don’t gamble. (applies to other endevors too). …R.A.H.

Everything you’ve learned in school as “obvious” becomes less and less obvious as you begin to study the universe. For example, there are no solids in the universe. There’s not even a suggestion of a solid. There are no absolute continuums. There are no surfaces. There are no straight lines…B.F.

Most advances were by mistake. You uncover what is when you get rid of what isn’t. B.F.

When working on a problem, never think about beauty but when finished, if the solution is not beautiful, it is wrong. …B.F.

Don’t fight forces, use them…B.F.

Never underestimate the power of human stupidity! …R.A.H.

There are more, what are some of yours?

I like a lot of Heinlein, if you enjoy reading him, you might like John Scalzi.

Yup he is pretty good, Pournelle, Niven, Benford, Brin, Clark are all good. R.A.H. speaking though Lazrus Long has some goodies, pragmatic guy with a lot of life lessons distilled down. The final one is “always store beer in a dark place” is good but dated, comes from a time before cans.

I just picked up “Looking Backward”, 2000-1887, written in 1887, by Edward Bellamy, and interestingly odd read so far. Some Heinlein like ideas. I usually pick up a few before a trip to pass the time and keep the TV off.

I got “We” by Yevgeny Zamyatin for the flight home.

I also have been working my way through the list of Phillip K Dick award winners. Most of them tend to have less big ideas, but very entertaining and insightful in their own twisted ways.

pick up earth by brin scary as it was written in the late 80’s http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_(novel)

cool, I’ll check it out.