Core 77 Homepage

Does everyone else also get that linx feed with sponsored content crossfeed?

Destroys the whole user experience on the core77 home page. Doesn’t it?

Yeah, I’m aslo getting this.
The site seems to have lost its pizzazz. Is this intentional Core77?

It feels like the Linx feed is more important than the Core blog, which is confusing. Maybe they get ad revenue from it?

Confusing.

1/3 the page is click bait ads? What?

R

Gotta be a revenue thing, but the site is just confusing to look at. Everything is equally weighted, visually, making navigation pretty much impossible. It’s not even worth the effort anymore to try to sift through all the clutter and find something I actually want to read.

Thanks for the questions/feedback on the homepage, sorry that we haven’t communicated much about this roll-out.

The editorial idea behind the “Linx” section is that it allows for quick posting of offsite news. It is for the instances when we encounter design-related items that we want to share but don’t think a full blog post is needed: sometimes the original site has covered in very thoroughly and there isn’t much we can add, or the news is time-sensitive and we don’t want to delay it while we write something up.

• None of it is sponsored – sponsored posts are marked with the yellow flag, and are only in the "regular blog.”

• The linx don’t go out via our blog RSS feed, so are only visible on the core77 site. If the Linx section proves to be useful to Core77 readers we may include them in a daily or weekly email newsletter.

• The goal is to respect the original work of other sites, to that end we keep the image thumbnails small and point all clicks to their articles. You’ll notice a small arrow pointing to a permanent link on our site which is there in the event somebody want to reference the comments that were made on the Linx item at Core77.

The placement and design of the linx section is a first cut. We recently moved servers and don’t have our development environment set back up yet, so we launched this in production. The silver-lining is that the feedback here can now help get UI/UX things like the relative importance of the linx vs. regular blog into line.

The actual content mix, i.e. what subjects to include or not in the linx feed, is something we are just now getting a handle on by reviewing the popularity of each piece. We can measure that in clicks but direct feedback is helpful. If you want to see more of something please let us know here or on the Linx section itself by giving individual Linx a thumbs up, or leaving a comment. That is a big part of the motivation behind introducing the linx - we included the favorite and comment functionality so that the Core77 community could weigh in on more things than we can blog about ourselves.

Thank you for coming back to this and the shared insight. I sure hope you guys get this site back to f o r m.

mo-i

On mobile all you get is the outside links up top.

I still don’t get why this is a thing? Some sort of ad revenue play?

R

It isn’t an advertising revenue play, in fact it kind of hurts in that regard. It is a new content type that allows the editorial team to point to design news elsewhere without having to re-blog it. We have a more integrated version rolling out on Monday which hopefully addresses some of the issues brought up here.

If it hurts revenue, hurts usability and hurts original content what is the positive?

R

[ Deleted ]

We dialed-back the homepage this morning but kept the linx in there. To answer your questions:

If it hurts revenue, hurts usability and hurts original content what is the positive?

From my response up there… The editorial idea behind the “Linx” section is that it allows for quick posting of offsite news.

( Also think there are content and moderation issues ). Nobody is asking me, so I guess I’ll vote by visiting less often.

From my response up there… direct feedback is helpful. If you want to see more of something please let us know here.

Your thoughts on the content and moderation issues in particular would be great to hear.

More design roasts! hehe

I actually started clicking more on the Linx and enjoyed some of the content.

I’m only getting 3 Linx items in a horizontal bar section, not too intrusive to the UX.
In fact I really like the site the way it is. I am especially happy the top menu is still there and hasn’t made way for any hamburgers to further compromise usability for visual minimalism. I would like a bit more emphasis on the structure of the site instead of the current ‘free-floating in white’ theme. + more options would be great, for example easy navigation to favorite articles from the past, or advanced search functionalities.

Looking good! I’m liking the update!

+1 Looking good.

Seems to be solved for now. The Lynx feeds are not intrusive anymore. Not on Android or Laptop.

Thank you

Thanks everyone for the feedback, glad we got it back on track.