Cool technology

New material…

Seems too good to be true and I wonder when we’d b able to get our hands on them.

Robot with nanotube muscles, flex them tougher than steel electrically charged muscles Atom.

Hopefully it’ll be affordable enough to play with.

Thnx for the info.

“Future applications that scientists have discussed include creating artificial muscles whose movement is electrically charged, or race cars with stronger, lighter bodies that could also serve as batteries, says chemist Andrew Barron of Rice University in Houston.”

I guess I’m missing something - it sounds cool but how do they go from being able to extrude very thin sheet, to F-1 cars and artificial muscles?

I thought the potential of nanotechnology was to be able to create something with inherent material properties from the atomic level to perform a certain task.

Layers, or groups of threads? Like how your muscles are composed.

From what I understand, they have just done that.

So what’s the certain task? Lemme knoW!

Xox

Layers, or groups of threads? Like how your muscles are composed.

From what I understand, they have just done that.

So what’s the certain task? Lemme knoW!

Xox

“gag” is basically correct. muscles are collections of little tubular cells that expand and contract. not much different than a rolled up sheet. would imagine you could mimic that. even easier is a simple sheet of this material. super light and super strong. nice replacement for carbon fiber composites.

one of the biggest advantages of nanotech afaik is material perfection. many materials fail due to impurities. even composite forms are filled with imperfections. a nanotech material would be much more uniform. and more predictable as well.

sheets and strings (or collections of strings) are basic. will probably have the biggest impact. eventually we’ll see the custom materials you’re talking about. bucky balls that do crazy stuff. there’s plenty of work going on in the “dots” area last i read.

Carbon nanotubes are already being used. Easton has a new composite softball bat that uses carbon nanotubes as an additive to strengthen the resin coating.
Check it out:
http://baseball.eastonsports.com/index2.php

but sounds like their using dispersed fibers in a kinda chaotic way.

“The weakest areas in a traditional carbon fibre bat are the tiny spaces between the fibres that contain only resin. To improve the strength of these areas, CNT - sixteen times stronger than steel, according to the company - is dispersed throughout the resin making it tougher and stronger.”

sounds like a variation of fiberglass.

http://www.netcomposites.com/news.asp?2974

Yeah, maybe so, but the fact that carbon nanotubes are already being manufactured in sufficient quantities to be used in an application like this gives me the impression that the technology described in the original post may be very close to becoming a reality.
I think that was one of the longer sentences I’ve ever typed.

could we see wallpapper televisions in the future using this technology?

apparently so. a better article on the technology is here: http://www.worldchanging.com/archives/003330.html

…OK so I bit this from Easton’s FAQ concerning nanotubes…sounds like they use it in their resin matrix to make carbon products stronger.

2. What is Nanotechnology?
The word “nano” in nanotechnology derives from the term “nanometer”, which is one-billionth of a meter. Molecular nanotechnology is the manipulation of matter at the atomic, molecular, or macro level (on the length scale of approximately 1–100 nanometers). Zyvex delivers nanotechnology solutions via three major market-driven platforms: materials, tools, and structures. Materials that are characterized by structural features less than 100 nm can be broadly classified as nanomaterials; these serve as the basis for Zyvex’s NanoSolve™ materials product line. The NanoWorks™ tools product line and product portfolio includes the entire spectrum of enabling technologies that promote visualization, manipulation, and engineering at the nanoscale. Structures result from controlled synthesis and subsequent assembly of material building blocks with new and improved properties and functionalities.

1. What are Carbon Nanotubes (CNTs)?
    Carbon nanotubes are layers of graphite seamlessly wrapped into cylinders which are a few nanometers in diameter, and approximately 10-20 microns long. Therefore, the length-to-width aspect ratio is extremely high. Both the graphitic nature of the material and their large aspect ratio provides

2. What are the physical properties of CNTs?
    SWNTs have reported tensile strengths 20 times that of Chromoly steel with 1/6 the weight. In addition, carbon nanotubes significantly improve the electrical and thermal conductivities of commercial polymers. The conductivities of Zyvex’s CNT composites are at least several orders of magnitude higher than those of insoluble CNT composites, particularly at low nanotube loading levels. In addition, carbon nanotubes offer the ability to enhance the mechanical and structural properties of composites. Examples of this data can be obtained by reading our application notes at www.zyvex.com/Products/appsnotes.html.