Continuing Education in NYC

I’m looking to find some good Design research classes in NYC. I’m not sure which colleges are best for this, or if anyone has any recommendations. I would also like to take some sketching classes, as I’m always looking to improve. Any help is really really appreciated!

You are in luck.There are LOT of good schools in NY. Pratt institute (Brooklyn and Manhattan campuses) and Parsons, which has courses in product design… I wonder if NYU has anything?There is probably stuff on Long Island too.

Pratt definitely has classes at night that are mostly taken by grad students prepping for the ID program. You can take drawing, cad, and possibly an intro product design class.

Like taxguy said, there are lots of options. You can also take classes at FIT that will be cheaper than the others.

Good luck,
Josh

Hey AUindd,

I am currently a Pratt ID student and I know of a directed research class that one of my professor’s teaches. I just heard there is also a drawing class being taught this summer if you’re interested.

If you have any more questions you can PM me and I can let you know about other classes and things around NYC.

Hope this helps.

P.S. looks like me and Josh Eyre both went to Pratt and joined core the same day, but I don’t know the dude…spooky.

I graduated in December… Had Skalski for studios in 06/07 and November last fall. There’s no way you didn’t see me around. You just finished up Junior, right? What studio did you take in the Fall?

EDIT: I just looked at your coroflot page and think I remember seeing your binocular drawing up in the fall, so are you a sophomore? If so, it’s less likely that you ever saw me.

Hey thanks for the replies! So if you had to chose a school for design research, which one would you go to? Ideally the class would teach research strategies and synthesis.

NYU might be the best choice for graduate level subject matter like this in New York. I don’t think Pratt or Parsons have the proper resources to be able to support something that leans a little more academic like this.

Yeah I’m a sophomore. We probably saw each other around campus, but without a context I doubt either of us is likely to remember one another.
Anyway, what are you up to now? working in Chicago?

P.S. how did you like November? I’m taking him 1st semester next year.
I’m a little worried that he’s to concerned with model making, and not enough with design process. I could be wrong. Just going from what I’ve heard. either way I’ll push for process and learn as much as i can.

I am currently freelancing in Chicago, concepting at a toy design studio, while looking for the right long-term job.

With regards to November, like him or not, he is one of your best choices if you’re interested in actually getting a job when you graduate. If you work hard, and do all of it, you will get 2-3 top portfolio pieces for each semester. having 4-6 pieces to choose from for 2 classes is unbeatable. In the end, it’s all about what you have to show from your time at Pratt and 3D blobs and half baked sophomore projects will not get you a job (unless your blob is real good and a Pratt grad is interviewing you). It comes down to getting the most out of your junior year (senior year can be a mess and most people have one foot out of the door already.) Simple portfolio economics say Dan is a no brainer. You’re spending a lot of money to attend that school and you need to make sure you are marketable enough to get a job so you can actually pay it back and feel like you made a good choice.

Yes, he is concerned with model-making, but just as much as it’s a big part of the process, in realizing YOUR design. He demands a lot and, you know what, it makes you better… Usually a lot. His projects are all about design process… research, materials, sketching, building, refinement, testing, manufacturing considerations, prototyping. We talked more about a complete, real-world, design process than in any other class I took. He also talks Pratt 3D in plain English so you can actually get clear relationships between designing a real product and Rowena’s vision. Few teachers can do that without going into pseudo intellectual mumbo-jumbo or just talking in circles.

I’m sure lots of people may not agree with me about my ramblings above, but why are Martin’s and Dan’s classes always the first that fill up? It’s because you actually do stuff in their classes, get better, and have something to show for it. Martin’s class isn’t very practical, but you get a lot better at drawing, model making, and presentations which will translate very well in anything you do after that. Dan is straight-forward, get a job, practical and you will come out with great portfolio pieces, good drawings, great model making skills (which is more than just about building, it’s about understanding your design), and basic knowledge of a lot of important steps along the process to realize a real, manufacturable, product.

Well, that was a lot… but it’s important. So, good luck.

josh

Oh yeah. I like Dan.

Thanks Josh.

I have heard that Dan is a good teacher, but no one ever said in what made him good (process, design aesthetic, presentation, production methods, prototypes, models, etc.) It sounds like he is well rounded in all.

Thanks again, I look forward to his class.

P.S. good luck with the job hunt. what area/company do you want to get into?

Tobin

Thanks!

Good luck in the fall. Get plenty of sleep while you can!