Contest entry rights

Hello everyone. I entered a design contest this last semester, and placed in the top 4. I uploaded my presentation boards that I entered in the contest to Coroflot. Now an editor of a design blog wants to feature my design on his blog and wants me to send pictures and specs of the design. My question is this. Should I send the requested information, or can I not since I placed in the top 4 in the contest and received a prize and thus the rights aren’t mine? I’m still waiting to hear back from the professor that organized the contest, but I would like to hear what you guys have to say about it in the meantime.

I would just go for it, but thats me… was the contest public?

The contest was open to anyone at the design school, but it was focused on the sophomores as it replaced one of the normal assignments.

I would send your stuff in. all publicity is good publicity right? if you get told to take it down then atleast some people saw it for a short time.

technically your school probably owns the work (most schools have a blanket policy like this in place), but that being said, i wouldn’t think the PR is an issue. Anyhow it was a school contest not an outside one where you give away your IP, so likely not an issue. You could always ask the school, and I’m sure they’d give you the OK.

Or, just send it in, with the idea that it’s always easier to apologize than ask for permission.

Only thing that sounds a bit fishy is asking for specs?.. do you just mean drawings? is it a legit blog?

R

If it was a contest by your school you should still hold all of the rights to your work.

The only time you don’t own rights to work are when it’s stated in the contest rules, and thats usually for certain competitions. When I was in school we were told not to enter competitions where we didn’t own the work afterwards to avoid such potential headaches.

Isn’t the success of the students the highest priority on your schools agenda? You pay their wages, not the other way around.
(man I sound like such a douche.)

None the less, I’d go for it.

Ninjaedit:
How did they find out about your entry by the way? Was the results presented somewhere else?

The contest was sponsored by Courtyard Creations Inc. and there is a chance that my design might be manufactured, but I won’t know for another 2 months. I guess it might be fine if I’m sure to mention the sponsoring company and don’t give any “exclusive” rights to any images. The blog asking for the information is The Design Blog.

Ok, well that changes it a bit. If it was corporate sponsored and it might go to production, I would at the very least check with the company… might be really bad to have it public before it goes to market. How did the blog find out about it in the first place?

R

A sponsored project is a little different than a contest. Often a company pays the school (a large sum) to use you (who also pays the school a large sum of tuition… handy eh?). If this might go to production, I would wait, a lot different than a concept competition that is not going anywhere.

I put the presentation boards I entered on coroflot along with some of my other stuff from the past semester. It doesn’t say that I won a contest with it or anything. He must have just found them interesting. do you think that was a mistake? Should I take them down? I would think it’s fine to put your work for contests in your portfolio, but giving extra info to a 3rd party is what I’m still waiting for permission from my professor on.

No harm so far, and no bad intent on your part, but i’d make a point of checking with the school/company asap. I would think this would have been covered by the school/company if it was really that important to not let the concepts get out, but it never hurts to be sure.

an honest inquiry (maybe to the school first) would be my first go, to see if it’s OK tp publicize the images. if OK, then go for it.

R

The Design Blog has a high readership, especially with other bloggers. They are the blog that first covered my Segway concept. So definitely get it OK’d, once you do, it might go everywhere!