considering a minor

I am currently a student at Savannah College of Art and Design and considering there marine design program. Being from Seattle, Wa, water and boats is a big part of my life style.

But I dont want to loose out on the different electives that are offered. Such as… Maya, advance rendering (photoshop and illustrator), and 3d studio max.

Rhino and Alias studio are part of the curriculum, so i will be learning these programs.

How important are knowing these programs apon graduating and out in the work place? Would it be better for me not to minor in Marine design and to take these other classes to improve my overall portfolio?

Is Tom still the head of Marine Design?

Depends on what you want to do- do you really want to design aquatic lifestyle products? SCAD is getting a great reputation in that niche- several grads right now are designing uber-luxury yachts, kayaks, and the like. You’re sure to get at least one sponsored project if you take the minor- Hobie just came to SCAD recently. That project, whatever it may be, may lead to an internship, contacts, leads, or at least direct exposure to the marine design field - which is great for portfolio.

Not knowing Maya won’t hold you back at all… whatsoever. I would argue that knowing Maya is more or less useless for ‘the real world’. Same with 3d studio. You need to use 3D modeling to communicate, not replicate real world environments. Sketching is still the best communication tool.

Learning Rhino and Alias is all you’ll really want to learn-- you do not want to graduate with an industrial design degree and become a cad monkey.

Take advanced rendering with Morris. It’s boring, but you’ll learn a lot.

Also, you don’t need to stick to the curriculum perfectly. I took a composites course with Tom (a marine design course) which didn’t end up counting towards ID at all, strange. I had to stick around and take two extra courses for the last summer I was there due to that course, plus an art history course at the Lacoste off-campus program. Totally worth every penny and every second. If you’re a class or two over, I figure it’s even more practice and experience for your developing skill set.

Thanks for all of the tips, I just wasnt sure if having a Marine design minor will be better then thanking a more generalized class set and how it looks in a portfolio.

Yeah Tom is still the head of the Marine design and is teaching survey of composites next quarter. (Which is what I might possibly be taking)

One of the problems that I have, is that I don’t want to/ nor have the money to stay here longer then the 4 years that was planned.

I am defiantly interested in designing sport boats and luxury yachts. Do know you what companies the grad students are working for?

I noticed that you had a lot of freelance/ design opportunities in your resume. Did you accomplish any of this while you were still in school? I am at the point right now where I need start building my portfolio and do not really know where to start when contacting companies about internship opportunities. Do you have any advice on that?