Confused

HI

I really need help guys…i have a bachelor’s degree in a non-design discipline…but i really would like to have degree in design . I want to do a masters degree in design mgt. but many schools require a design background ,work experiennce and a portfolio which i do not have. i’am planning to apply to Parsons school of design in NY.They offer a bachelor’s degree in Design and Mgt…My ultimate goal is to have a masters degree in Design Mgt. My question is should i do BBA in Design& Management or is there something else i could do?

HI

See schools in England. They offer a one year masters in design management. Like DeMonfort Uni. Don’t do another bachelors since your aim is to manage a design firm and loser designers like we have on this core.

Thanks for replying.I cant go to England coz of personal reasons,and they wont accept me in a masters program here coz i do not have design expeirience!

help me out. you want to be a design manager but have no design experience?

That’s what the guy is asking moron.

someone needs to look up “sarcasm” in the Big Words book.

HI
yes i wanna be a design manager ,and becoz i do not have any design experience i’am considering a bachelor’s degree in Design mgt. from Parsons and work for some time and then get my masters,i’am just 22!!

Why don’t you just go for a BFA in ID and work your way up? You are only 22!

But i do not nething about ID? I chose design mgt coz i’am interested in mgt. i would sure like to know more about ID…

So what do you know about design management?

He said he knows nothing about design and he is just interested in studying design management that is why he wants to study that area. Why do you make things so complicated?

? = troll

So if he knows nothing about design, why choose design management? I guess what I meant was what made him want to choose design management over other forms of management.

And you guys who complain about people making this “complicated”, maybe YOU should be the ones contributing.

He said he doesn’t have design experience. He didn’t say he didn’t know anything about it. If you want to be an ass then learn to fart the right words.

“But i do not nething about ID? I chose design mgt coz i’am interested in mgt.”

not sure what he is saying.

managing designers is tough. easier to manage people not trained to ask questions. might consider managing people in your orig field. and being design manager isnt like most managing jobs. many companies dont treat them like managers. more like a designer who goes to meetings. but then does design work when it gets busy.

whatever you decide, good luck.

Hey guys

Let me make myself clear, I was always interested in management and always wanted to do an MBA but at same time i want to work in creative environment and thats the reason why i like Design management, but since i have no experience in that field i would like u guys who know what it is and who have been in the design field to help me out, i just wanna know if its a good career , is it wise to spend some much money on school, i have still not made my decision and just wanna know if i’am on the right track?

Good overview of design managment ykh, but you forgot to add, designer who’s head is in the noose when the sh_t hits the fan.

Forget the people trained to ask questions part, the egos are hard to manage. 1600 sqft of ego to fit in a 400 sqft brainstorming room.

At the corporation I work for there are about 10 design managers probably as many design directors and 4 or 5 creative directors and 3 global creative directors.

None of them went through a design managment program that I know of, all of them have undergrads design. All of them design products from time to time.

I think a degree in design managment is great for a designer looking to take it up a notch, but a design managment grad with no design experience would most likely have a tough time finding a spot.

my $.02, it could work you never know, I just wouldn’t want to spend my money on a program that might not get me anywhere.

oops, forgot to log in above…

At the corporation I work for there are about 100 designers in my division, 10 design managers probably as many design directors and 4 or 5 creative directors and 3 global creative directors.

None of them went through a design managment program that I know of, all of them have undergrads design. All of them design products from time to time and all of them worked their way up from design positions as far as I know.

I think a degree in design managment is great for a designer looking to take it up a notch, but a design managment grad with no design experience would most likely have a tough time finding a spot.

my $.02, it could work you never know, I just wouldn’t want to spend my money on a program that might not get me anywhere. Give it a go and let us know how it works out for you.