Confused?!

Has anyone ever taken a job they weren’t really excited about? Meaning, just doing it to help build up your portfolio. It was said it might start out as freelance work with an office within the company then if things work out it could turn into full-time employment. The product(s) just aren’t me. But it might be something to explore.

Thanks!

Wouldn’t you be in the position to make the products a bit more “you” if you were designing the products?

go for it!

copyboy,

I would and understand that. But the products are so fancy-pants, old-ladyish, etc… Don’t the clients have a say in what they want? I like modern/contemporary or new era so to speak, and I don’t see the chance to move in this direction with this company. Who knows they could always grab a new client or two?

It sounds like you’ve already made your decision.

Sometimes you need to do things you rather wouldn’t, just to earn some money. But I’m convinced that designing has everything to do with emotion and feeling. If you’re not involved with the product, you’re never able to make a good design.

karin

I agree that if you really care about or are interested in (feelin’ it) the product you are designing you can do a much better job. Stepping outside of your “comfort zone” and spending some time designing that which you’d least expect to enjoy can be a powerful learning experience and can only give you fresh perspectives and introduce you to new people whom you may not otherwise work with.

for example, in school I was a strict product design student and I took an internship at an automotive corporation - completely outside of my school’s program which didn’t even have an automotive segment - I learned a whole lot and am glad I did it even though it was hard dealing with all those “car guys” :wink: I was not emotional about cars at all but I empathized and learned about car styling for a few months. Nothing is permanent - give it a shot!

Now that you know that you aren’t going to enjoy it, all the more you should just let yourself go and just do it. It’s all abou adjusting your mindset in what you expect to get from the experience. If you leave your expectation open, you will be learning the most unexpected things and benefit from it. If you enter the company with an attitude in mind that it’s going to suck, I assure you, it will suck.

as one of my professors once told me

“it is easier to get a job when you allready have one”

I took his advice and worked at a firm I was not excited about that had had very boring projects. I worked there freelance for 2 months while I learned about what real projects are like. I used that to build a new portfolio in my spare time and ended up getting a great job quickly. I don’t even put that first place on my resume at this point, it was just a quick layover to other things.

Thanks for the advice everyone! I think I will give it a shot unless something else pops up real soon!