Confused and Broken..need help

Should i stay or quit??

• stay
  • quit

0 voters

Hello…im a design student and i love to design things but there are some thing that i need some advice on by you guys.

a. rite now im doing my bachelors and i want to apply for masters after gardauating from my school.would my grades matter?
b. And how much DO our grades matter when we are applying for a job

c. right now im facing huuugee problems from my teacher as he tends to be very 'favourtism" kind of teacher…i get really confused and broken by his attitude even if i give him 100% it sometimes is never good enough for him…people all around me LOVE my design and belive me people around me can be very critical too…anyways i wanted to ask should i give up hope of ever becomg a industrial designer just cuz of him or shud i stay where i am and forget abt my grades and just do my work??..it all comes down to grades for me actually :frowning:

really sad and confused and my spirits are almost broken im rooting to give it another try…should i? and how DOOOO i cope up with these kind of teacher??aaaarrrrrrrrrghhhhhhh…*

Please reply :cry: :cry: :cry:[/b]

Grades don’t matter when applying for jobs. Focus on learning all that you can and keep pushing your skills so that you are better than you were last week. College grades are very subjective sometimes but when applying for jobs, it’s your portfolio, resume, and personality that counts.
But keep in mind also that this type of professor could easily be the type of client/boss you may run into as a professional. Learn how to deal with this situation now while your rent money isn’t at stake.

Out of my experience, grades matter very little once you are out of school. During school, yes for scholarships grades are important and failing a class is always bad news.
My grades were always good but not excellent. I never got worse that a B.
What I did though is to pick and choose the classes where I knew I would produce good portfolio work. This of course sometimes meant that I had to phone in less important classes.

What it comes down to in the end is your network and your portfolio.
I would however caution to trust your peers in their criticism. They most likely know as much about design as you.
I have experienced that people hold back just to avoid to hurt or pick a fight.

If you like and feel confident enough, you could post your work here and get some pretty straight critiques. Other than people around you, nobody is afraid to speak their mind. And there are some great minds in these boards.

thank u for ur advices…rite now im positive abt everything:D

"But keep in mind also that this type of professor could easily be the type of client/boss you may run into as a professional. Learn how to deal with this situation now while your rent money isn’t at stake.

thanku…and yes this is so true and thats the whole reason im not quitting…i got to learn how to handle ‘difficult’ people in my class the one i still hv problems with is this teacher of mine im still learning how to cope up with this teacher but the thing is im not those kind of student who butter up their teacher and blah blah… still working on how to ‘un-butter’ their spell on others so im focusing on that too… wish me luck=)

You learn more than your courses in school/…experience…my idea for opting for masters is a goner now???:frowning:

and oh about posting my work here well im new here so im still learning abt these forums but i will do it as soon as i can…and my confidence is kind of low AND high these days…i KNOW that im good but my teacher’s attitude makes me believe that im not:D…i hv pictures of my assign ill post that lets see how u people like it:)… these are the only ones i could successfully post

Thank u very much for replying positively i can now for some days stay in peace=D

Are you a sophomore (1st year) in Industrial design?
Your work looks like classic sophomore assignments.
In that case, thinking about grad school is WAY to early.

Your work is a little hard to judge.
Maybe you could post some portfolio spreads instead? With research, sketches, sketch models, cad, renderings - basically what you would have to present in a portfolio.

I have learned that these things are a lot more important in the first year of ID than the actual object. This might be debatable but it’s my experience.

I agree and disagree here.

Grades generally are a reflection of your work. I am assuming that there is not just one prof at your school. How are your grades in your other classes? I would also ask what year are you? If you are early in your college career than you have time to learn what makes this guy tick.

This could very well end up being a boss of yours, could end up being someone in Marketing or Engineering. You will need to learn how to deal with these people and how to communicate in difficult situations. Try asking what it is that you are doing wrong and what he thinks is should be your biggest focus to help you improve. Do not look at this as negative feedback but more as constructive feedback. You can also look at it a a design challenge or a problem that needs to be solved. When you put it in that prospective then it may help you in fixing it.

I would also like to point out that you should not let this destroy your dream of being an Industrial Designer. If you want it bad enough you will figure out a way to make it work.

When I was researching for interns a few weeks ago, I see often companies requiring a minimum GPA (some 3.5 or higher). It may help when getting your feet wet faster, or at least won’t hurt to put it on your CV when applying for jobs.

I find this trend of typing a post or an email as if it were a text message disturbing. I see it more and more. Capitalize your I’s. Use proper punctuation. Use the whole word “about” instead of “abt”.

I’ve seen posts by college students that don’t even use “two” “too” and “to” properly.

Communication is a big part of ID. If English is your second language you get a pass, but all too often I’m seeing this trend from students. If you wrote me an email in response to a job opening that looked like this post, I would probably delete it.

Now that I’ve said that I hope there are no typos in my post! :stuck_out_tongue:

I find this trend of typing a post or an email as if it were a text message disturbing. I see it more and more. Capitalize your I’s. Use proper punctuation. Use the whole word “about” instead of “abt”.

+4

lol I’m sorry ABOUT that but if you were in my state of mind you wouldn’t be worrying about such things except to get through to people what you are trying to say :smiley:…and if it makes you feel better whenever I’m writing an official email I take care of all these things so you don’t need to be so sarcastic here :smiley:…And yes English is my second language…forgive me??:stuck_out_tongue:

bepster said

Are you a sophomore (1st year) in Industrial design?
Your work looks like classic sophomore assignments.

I don’t know what you mean by sophomore here…Currently I am studying for a bachelor’s degree in design that is, I am an undergraduate…secondly I’m from Pakistan so our level of work differs with what you call 'international standards" but I assure you that we get as good as you guys in our final year that is the 4th year for us…its just that our learning process is a bit gradual…you said about posting my work here…I will until I get the hang of it and it would be a pleasure for me to groom myself up to international standards through you people…

have learned that these things are a lot more important in the first year of ID than the actual object. This might be debatable but it’s my experience.

I don’t get what you mean by 'these things are a lot more important than the actual product"…care to elaborate, please??

Grades generally are a reflection of your work. I am assuming that there is not just one prof at your school. How are your grades in your other classes?

I don’t want to boast about myself here but I am pretty good in other classes…first or second best usually :blush: and I liked what you said about taking it as a design problem…i am and will…thank you very much…!

Thank you everyone with all the advices especially cdaisy…:slight_smile:

U r wlcm :wink:

“mind your typos”…!!!:wink: …!! :laughing:

Quote:
have learned that these things are a lot more important in the first year of ID than the actual object. This might be debatable but it’s my experience.

I don’t get what you mean by 'these things are a lot more important than the actual product"…care to elaborate, please??

what I mean by this, is that if you were a 1st year student (which we still don’t know) than your process is probably more telling of you as a student than the final object, which you posted.
for example sketch work, research and so on.
So in other words, it would be interesting to see that.
Maybe you can start a thread in the portfolio section of the forum.

I have to exercise a little bit of tough love here.
If you are doing well in your other classes maybe a little bit of a struggle will only make you stronger in the end. It might actually be that you teacher realizes that he can push you further by being tough on you.

If this one class can knock you out of the dream of becoming an industrial design, maybe you should really reconsider, because it is not like it is going to get any easier as you go along.

That you care is a good sign. I have seen time and time again students that just couldn’t care less what the critic had say. Then there are other (me included) who took criticism very personal. That might hurt but it helps to speed up the development.

I wonder though, what is it he doesn’t like about your work?

I have a idea…Why don’t you post some work from this class and we can give you feedback. Post some sketches, research, final product and anything else you have done. This will help us in understanding what your prof is speaking of. Right now we are just going off of your word and it is hard to judge.

I have a idea…Why don’t you post some work from this class and we can give you feedback. Post some sketches, research, final product and anything else you have done. This will help us in understanding what your prof is speaking of. Right now we are just going off of your word and it is hard to judge.

what I meant exactly!
An unbiased and competent critique.

Ooookay I get what you all mean…and I’ll be glad to have your comments too…and I will upload my sketches and research and so on…

If you are doing well in your other classes maybe a little bit of a struggle will only make you stronger in the end. It might actually be that you teacher realizes that he can push you further by being tough on you.

Believe me this is the only reason I’m still hanging on…That all these experiences may not add up in my portfolio but these will help me afterwards for sure…

I wonder though, what is it he doesn’t like about your work?

Frankly, if I knew that I wouldn’t be here complaining about him…the biggest problem which i face with him is of communication…we have a class of 5 people in ID(mite sound surprising) and only 2 of us have this trouble with him…The other two use buttering like "your sooooooo gooodd attitude…this is something that I can’t make myself do… I want to win him over with my work instead of words.
And this shows in our grading too…the one he’s most happiest with gets and A and so on…I’m not saying that he’s a bad teacher. As a teachers he’s the best there is and he works with us makes us realize our problems…over all he a very good teacher and this semester I thoughts I’ve finally made him happy but then the result came out and I got injected with a bitter dose of reality and I was compelled to sign up here and post…sigh
Anyway I know its kind of like a one sided story now… ill upload my sketches and other material in a day or two and would be happy to hear your comments may they be bad or good…You can be my virtual teachers :laughing:

Thank you very much you all!