College of Architecture

Choosing Building Construction over Industrial Design:

• It’s all about the benjamins (baby)
  • Follow your heart and your life will become smiles and sunshine and rainbows.
  • No seriously, if you like design and do design as a career, you can succeed.
  • Good luck-- we had enough designers anyways.

0 voters

I am currently enrolled at the Georgia Institute of Technology (Georgia Tech) in their reputable (but not huge or world-renowned or anything) College of Architecture. After taking classes in the rigorous common first year–common between future architects, industrial designers, and building construction majors-- i have decided to stray away from my original path of industrial design in favor of the perhaps more traditional building construction major. This wasn’t due to lack of skill or motivation: I had to fight with my teacher to switch to “the dark side.” I was just more motivated by drastically more promising statistics in regard to job placement and starting salary. Will I still have room for creativity and design in this more rigid curriculum? Have I no soul?

Theres more to a job then how big your paycheck is - if you love design then you probably won’t be happy doing much of anything else. You can certainly make a successful career out of being a designer, but you need to work your ass off and have enough interest to want to do it.

I wouldn’t expect to be able to be creative or designerly in BC. If you wanted to do that you would be an architect.

Most salary and placement surveys end up being innaccurate by the time you graduate anyways. I remember my roommate who was in BC telling me how he was going to be making $200k a year out of college. Needless to say that didn’t happen.

Do what you want to do, if you aren’t passionate about design you won’t make it.

only 9% of American buildings use Architects.

WOW no_spec – 9% is a pretty specific figure, where did that come from?

yea, most people never knew.
I roomed with an architect back in school, and just read it again not too long ago in Metropolis mag. the glut of Architects is partially a function of this fact.
Only large public buildings are required to use architects, other than that, if you get a civil engineers stamp and get the one from your county, your good to go.

Well, I can’t find any figures to dispute your 9% claim although it seems way to low, but you are wrong about the rest. A Civil Engineer can not design residential, or office buildings, only industrial buildings that are not primarily intended to be occupied (a generator building for example) and neither can a licensed Professional Engineer. State by state, a single family residence can be designed by the occupant, some states, Colorado for example, allow non architects to design single family residences, while most everything else requires a licensed Architect. On the other hand New Jersey and New York require an Licensed Architect’s stamp on everything except a single family residence that will be occupied by the owner. While there are a lot of overlaps between Architecture, Civil Engineering and Professional Engineering, things like mechanical system, structure, site work, the one area that separates Architecture is the responsibility for the safety and welfare of the occupant.

I hate to burst bubbles, the 9% is probably high nowadays. talk to an Architect, or at least a librarian for your next search.

my point is, regardless of whether our poster is interested in residential or commercial - joining the ranks of Arch’s duke’in it out for a tiny minority of projects available, isn’t the only way to go…

I am an Architect.