cleated shoes?

i noticed there are some differences between cleat types of the different sports (baseball, football, futbol). why the variation?

Well, because different sports have different safety concerns. For instance, Soccer (Football) cleats do not have flat cleats in the front, so that your foot doesnt catch the ground when you are kicking, And Baseball cleats are made so that when you slide into a base, hopefully the sides of the shoe wont dig into the ground causing ankle injuries.

as well, different sports have different types of movements. in football (soccer) for example, there are more lateral cuts and movements than in baseball for example, and also much more running. i remember reading someplace that a football (soccer) player runs on average something like 8 km in the 90 min of a game.

in addition, something to consider is also the physical attributes of the player. american football players are likely much heavier than soccer players, so would require different amounts of shock absorption, support etc.

pitch or field type also makes a difference. hence, even in soccer different kinds of studs (FG, SG) for different ground conditions.

good question though!

R

Soccer (Football) cleats do not have flat cleats in the front, so that your foot doesnt catch the ground when you are kicking

that makes so much senss, i do not think i would have have guessed that. one thing i see with soccer cleats is that they seem to have different cleat types, like thicker posts or even flatter wegde type molded posts but i rarely if ever see them on american football cleats

in addition, something to consider is also the physical attributes of the player. american football players are likely much heavier than soccer players, so would require different amounts of shock absorption, support etc.

pitch or field type also makes a difference. hence, even in soccer different kinds of studs (FG, SG) for different ground conditions.

what is pitch? field? with the weight thing, how would that affect the placement of the studs? or does it? could there be a “universal cleat” that could be used across the sports platforms?

yes, pitch is a field.

i doubt that a universal cleat would be very beneificial. probably a crappy compromise like those useless 10 in 1 gadgets that really dont do any one thing very well… not to mention i dont think there are too many athletes that would play a multitude of different sports or would sacrifice performance to save a few buck buying different shoes, even if they did.

R

As a side note, Sir Alex Ferguson (Man Utd coach) (Soccer) has recently spoken out against the bladed cleat shapes vs the more traditional cone shape ones. He and many other coaches claim they cause much worse foot injuries to opposing players than conical studs. Read that somewhere on Soccernet.com sometime ago.

I prefer the “tighter” feel of the blade studs myself. I think there’s a little more bite into the surface.

i doubt that a universal cleat would be very beneificial. probably a crappy compromise like those useless 10 in 1 gadgets that really dont do any one thing very well… not to mention i dont think there are too many athletes that would play a multitude of different sports or would sacrifice performance to save a few buck buying different shoes, even if they did.

well, i was thinking more like the adidas tunit series but designed maybe in a way that make it workable across sports.

As a side note, Sir Alex Ferguson (Man Utd coach) (Soccer) has recently spoken out against the bladed cleat shapes vs the more traditional cone shape ones. He and many other coaches claim they cause much worse foot injuries to opposing players than conical studs. Read that somewhere on Soccernet.com sometime ago.

that is sort of what i am asking about. is there an accepted or general cleat format?

some spikes have detachable plates. I know this has nothing to do w/ cleats but soccer boots usually have clean or “sweet spots” areas on the toe and medial sides. Adidas Predetor tech uses rubber islands on the shoe for better ball control and actually bend the ball when struck.
This should help:

The conical and blade spikes…

Too dope.

He and many other coaches claim they cause much worse foot injuries to opposing players than conical studs.

Its funny you say that b/c the 1st game rooney wore these and broke his foot that game…the spikes prob didnt have nething to do w/ it tho.

do you mean individual detachable spikes or the whole plate like the adidas tunit f50?

yeah those are nikes hot!!! thanks for posting them, got the name? or are these a special make of the total 90? assymmetry is so tight…

A lot of softground soccer (wet, muddy, grass) cleats have individually removeable studs. You can adjust material, length, etc.

This is the Total 90 Supremacy. You can almost read it on the tongue.

Both the conical and blade studs are pretty well accepted now in soccer

The idea of a universal cleat is interesting but probably not practical. The more important thing to keep in mind than the stud shape-pattern is the upper. For soccer, you want a soft, material ,leather or synthetic so you can feel the ball on your foot. Football on the other hand requires more grip and support. There are high and low cut football cleats. Rugby cleats are pretty nasty looking. Kind of like a soccer upper, but with a really gnarly looking sole with more studs.

I’m waiting for Nike to introduce some form of their Free technology into their soccer cleats. I think the outsoles on most cleats are too stiff.

thanks for the info btt_nyc, do you have pics of some of the rugby stuff?

i wonder how the f50 performs on the field, like how sturdy it feels with the modularity…anyone here worn or have (or heard)any opinions about em’?

from what I have seen/heard of the Adidas Tunit F50 interchangable boot, there is definitely a loss of performance and quality substituting for the gimick factor.

i 've heard that the screw in threads often get stripped, its hard to fit together, and theres not much difference in performance with the different combos of studs/chassis.

still, interesting concept from a marketing point of view, and certainly seems to be caputring the minds of the younger consumer, who like to play with the boot like a toy.

for more on the topic, you may want to check out the tunit topic at SoccerPulse, http://www.soccerpulse.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=90650 an online football forum. Keep in mind though, that the average age/perspective of the members there is quite different than here at core.

The rest of the forum is also OK for some very basic discussion of boots, by a younger consumer. Certainly not pro or any in depth reviews.

You can also check my blog, First Pullover,
http://pullover.blogspot.com which is 100% footwear design/development focused. There are lots of football boot topics there, with some new stuff coming up later today on a new outsole we (hummel) have developed for 2007.

cheers,

R

i love the concept, even if it is somewhatg of a gimmick. maybe some issues could/will be hammered out in subsequent iterations/generations? something to think about…

thanks for the links r. i have your spot in my favorites, i check it out periodically.

good stuff!

cheers, junglebrodda.

FYI, I’ve just now also posted some new stuff about cleats and the new outsole I mentioned on my blog.

R