Chicago

Chicago is a great market for marketing/media, and great for freelancing. Here’s a few off the top of my head:

Leo Burnett
Ogilvy
VSA Partners
Frankel & Company
Segura Inc (& T26)
Brandscope
Tribune Media
Source, Inc (Package design)
Studio Blue

Most of the action is in the Loop, so consider moving there. The warehouse district is convenient (west loop gate) and Pilsen is taking off.

Thanks cg.
But what is Tribune Media?

The Chicago Tribune media conglomerate. (print, tv, web, the Cubs, etc)

http://www.creativedir.com/

Good luck.

THANKS …:slight_smile:

Try aquent.com

i moved here to chicago right out of school and have been here about 3 months. i just recieved an offer. but from my experience a lot of agencies do not post thier jobs. they pick and choose and is highly competitive. i interviewed for an entry level position against 30 people, unfortunately didn’t get it but made me realize there’s tons of people going for the same jobs. but you should definitely have a portfolio posted on aiga or here at coroflot. it really helped, people would browse and call me up for interviews at random. some cool places some not. and transportation in chicago is awesome, you dont need a car. i don’t know why someone would say it sucked

I think you are right Karrina about transportation , that’s what I heard from my friends who wisited Chicago last summer.
About the agencies, I think it’s the case everywhere. Montreal and Toronto are same. NYC is the most difficult. But I believe if you have a strong portfolio you don’t have problem.

Miami is incredible. South Florida in general. This is a place that’s growing, lots of new opportunities and an incredible city to live in. World class art shows, international community and spectacular weather. Everything is here; on a silver plater, waiting for people to take advantage and take it. This is the capital of South America.
This is the place to create

It’s official-- 2005 is the year of Chicago.

So do you have any names to contact? Web site? Directories?

I don’t think Miami is good choice.
Let’s talk world-class cities : NYC, CHICAGO AND LOS ANGELES.

Chicago Rocks! Has anyone ever been able to solicit for freelance work on any of the furniture floors of the Merchandise Mart?

what about for ID?

any takers…

Yes, Chicago has a healthy ID scene. What else do you need to know?

Hi,

I’m from Holland and my wife has been offered a job in Chicago (still long before all is settled and we actually move). How is the job situation for a 10 yrs. experienced Senior Designer / Project Leader with a high-tech (Technology Enabled Products/Services) related track.

Have been in Chicago several times and have a great bunch of (non-design related) friends overthere so pretty well know the city and its pro’s and con’s but any info on the Product Design is very appreciated.

Regards,

Ron

Try Motorola

Get ready for this beautiful artic tundra!

Although there is nothing like a Chicago summer… which is seems to be becoming shorter and shorter…

From my view point-- in general the prospects are quite good for a 10 yr experienced Senior Designer/Leader. If you are targeting a high-tech (manufacturing?) more than design consulting, your prosepcts might be a bit more limited-- but still positive. Chicago is full of corporations but it still is not Silicon Valley or Boston as far as technology goes. Motorola is an obvious high tech design-centric organization to look into.

Any of the more experienced Chicago designers out there? iab?

There are a ton of consulting firms in the city. To some extent, the clients overlap between all of them. One thing to keep in mind is that all of the firms have VERY different design cultures between them. I’ve worked for two of the biggest in the city as a Sr. Designer and interviewed at almost all of them. You see a huge range of company and management structures, as well as varying degrees of commitment to design - it depends on the focus of the company.

If you’re looking to go the design firm route, I would recommend freelancing at ones you’re interested in before making a decision. Every firm I know of uses freelance design resources regularly - it’ll give you the chance to get a feel for the tone and quality of the studio. And, if you see people staying until 2 am every night, run.

As far as corporate gig, to my knowledge most of those are out in the 'burbs. Motorola did finally - and pretty recently - put a design studio downtown to attract more designers.