Chevrolet Camaro ZR1 Concept [REMOVED]...

removed by op

That’s cool, I feel that the mirrors are drawing away from the retro-ness of the car. If they were more like the flat chrome rounded rectangles of the 65’ then it would be different. They just do not tie in with the rest of the design well. But they alone look alright. Is this going to be a special edition, like Dyna-tune Heiress, or Lincolnfeilter? Or an after market kit? If it is a kit then I would go more drastic on the front. Look at the old salt flat cars, all taped up, or old SCCA racers.

PS: If you’re in Indy, why is the plate from England?

removed by op

What are you doing…pluggin for your company…dude buy an Ad…I’d really prefer not to be advertised to on these boards.

So you’re an automotive design firm that doesn’t provide designs to automotive surfacing standards?

That almost strikes me as a boat company that doesn’t build water tight boats.

I’m confused as to what your company actually does. Are you actually building these cars? Or are you putting down ficticious spec’s to a rendering? If you’re just doing the design/visualization and not production level surfacing then are you doing anything to take your designs to the tangible level?

@ Coledf:

I’m “plugging my firm” like every other freelancer on these boards is plugging theirs.

@ Cyberdemon:

What part of “visualization” didn’t you understand?

My firm began life as an engineering consultancy. Eventually, customers desired to visualize the entire vehicle, rather than the individual components/systems I designed. Our bodies are not designed for manufacture - they serve only as a canvas on which to visualize accessories and/or mechanical modifications - such as the mirrors, projector headlamps, and chassis/powertrain upgrades of the ZR1 concept. Our mechanical systems however, are designed for manufacture, and these are held to customer/regulatory standards. We are presently seeking out potential clients for the ZR1 concept, including Lingenfelter Performance Engineering, a previous client. I’m not sure where your attitude is coming from, but it’s obvious that you know very little about this industry. What we do is no different than many other visualization firms, except that we do it with SolidWorks.

I’ve stripped this thread of my content and removed any links to this forum from my website. It’s unfortunate that a person cannot post their work here without being met with this sort of ignorance and spite. Good luck to everyone.

• Nate

Not everyone is, especially in the projects forum.

he lasted 3 posts…thin skin.

what the heck happend with this one? Cyberdemon, your questions were perfectly valid and only slightly critical? I wonder if this designer has ever been in a formal critique? If you want smoke blown you know where, don’t ask designers what they think…

Using a little google cache, I could go back read the posts he deleted(I won’t repost here, out of respect). I find no logical reason for him to run so quickly (it seems he had similar posts as productdesignforums and cgcars and those have been deleted too)

A simple google search finds the website where one can see the much debated zr1 concept ( http://nallendesign.wordpress.com/)

Now I’m curious what this company is all about. I’m beginning to think it’s one guy who’s really good with solid works and wants to be a car designer? It’s ironic that on the nallen website, they say:

"If someone has told you that SolidWorks is not the best choice for automotive design, we would be happy to prove them wrong. "

And at the slightest suggestion of such, he booked instead of proving us wrong…

nallen, if you’re still out there, I’m bookmarking your website and will “stay tuned.” Now I’m curious.

(edits for tense and homonyms, it’s Sunday!)

Yeah this seemed to be a case of very thin skin. I’m not sure what seperated him from the herds of people out there who are doing fantastic visualizations using other programs. Seems like a car guy with a copy of solidworks who wanted to start doing aftermarket design stuff. Obviously he didn’t want to elaborate on it, he just jumped ship.

Website uses “we” a lot but I’m wondering if thats a clever way of making 1 person sound more professional. Also says he has an ME degree - maybe he’s not used to taking feedback from designers. :neutral_face:

1. Don’t mention a potential investor for the sole purpose of adding validity to your statement, especially if that POTENTIAL investor hasn’t yet signed on.

2. It sounds from your post and your site, that all you really care about is proving that Solidworks is a superior tool for automotive design. I’d like to know more about what your company actually does, and I’m sure potential investors would, too.

Responders may sound skeptical to your post, only because of how you approached it. Designers are skeptical people because it’s their job to question the world. The next time you post an update on your company, and please do, just be more straight forward with what you are trying to do.

@ Everyone:

1. Quoting NURB: “…Don’t mention a potential investor for the sole purpose of adding validity to your statement…”? I respect and appreciate your point of view, but I don’t need to name clients for validity’s sake. LPE is a previous client with whom I have a solid history of success. Speak to Nathan Sheets, LPE Marketing Manager - he’s seen this thread, and found it rather amusing.

2. Quoting Cyberdemon: “…I’m not sure what seperated him from the herds of people out there who are doing fantastic visualizations using other programs…”? Are these engineers or CG artists you’re referring to…? NALLEN encompasses the talent of 3 BSME honors grads with more than 30 years combined experience in performance and motorsport engineering - visualization was simply the logical next step. NALLEN Design is far more storied than our very new website.

3. Quoting Cyberdemon: “…Website uses “we” a lot but I’m wondering if thats a clever way of making 1 person sound more professional…”? You really need to get over yourself, bud :wink: “We” refers to the 2 engineers that I have collaborated with for nearly 10 years. We studied together, graduated together, and now work together. We are partners, which is why I’ve adopted the title “Principal” as company founder and chief designer.

4. Quoting bennybtl: “…Cyberdemon, your questions were perfectly valid and only slightly critical? I wonder if this designer has ever been in a formal critique? If you want smoke blown you know where, don’t ask designers what they think…”? His criticisms had little (read “nothing”) to do with the design. I’ve always enjoyed sharing my work with the community, and the feedback it generates - assuming that feedback is grounded, constructive, and focused. I just returned from a design review with a vendor (General Composites) in New York, and two others in Portland and Dallas. Between clients, vendors, and staff, I am involved in a “formal critique” virtually every day of the week. This is real engineering design, not what I pretend to do (or read about) on the internet :wink:

5. Quoting bennybtl: “…it seems he had similar posts as productdesignforums and cgcars and those have been deleted too…”? A closer examination would have revealed that I am the Interview Moderator at CGCars. The site was recently offline for maintenance and, unexpectedly, this lasted for several weeks. I posted to Product Design Forums, SMCars, and here, but just didn’t have time to manage them all. PDF and SMC were removed for this reason. My CGCars thread, however, is simply being trimmed and moved, not _re_moved. What’s funny is that I’ve interviewed professional designers from FIAT, Stile-Bertone, Dassualt Design Studios - all of whom have critiqued my work - and not one of them exhibited the same malicious ignorance that I’ve endured here. Which begs the question: what experience do you have as a design professional…? What products have you fathered…? What projects have you led…? Any real-world experience that might justify your line of questioning here…?

6. Quoting bennybtl: “…And at the slightest suggestion of such, he booked instead of proving us wrong…”? I already have, but to my clients. Strangely, not a single question was posed in this thread challenging the application of SolidWorks in automotive design…

Regards,

Nathan S. Allen, Principal
Nathan S. Allen Design
nate@nathansallen.com

Ahem… let’s start over here.

Hello Nathan, welcome to Core77. Most of us are designer’s by trade (of all fields; graphic, id, architecture, etc.) and many of us have some form of experience in engineering, either from industry experience or ME degrees.

Some of us have amazing jobs at major corporations, some of us freelance. Some of us design objects used by thousands or millions of people, some of us design small items no one ever seems to see.

What is it that you do?

Now, looking at your website (this is what I have to go by since you removed your post images) I can surmise that you do some work in the automotive performance industry. It would appear from your ZR1 Camaro post that you intend do some significant mechanical modifications to an existing Camaro, in addition to some body work. Have you done body modifications in the past? What are your MODRotor and BUMPShift components? I might be interested were I into the performance car market.

I could keep going, but I won’t I think you get the idea. When you post something on a public forum, either here, CGCars, Product Design, etc., you should expect everyone to have an opinion, whether it matches yours or not. When you get a bad response (or one that you read as rude or unfair) you should either explain yourself or brush it off. Just don’t pull everything and take your toys to another playground. Had you defended your views people might not have jumped on your case. I didn’t mean to be rude with my comment about your potential clients, I just think its in bad taste to list them as “See, these people think what I do is great, why don’t you guys” references. It’s all in the tone. And since this is an online message board, where no one can hear inflection in anyone else’s voice… it gets difficult.

So, don’t think we’re all a bunch of uppity jerks. Only some of us are.

Malicious ignorance? You could be Chris Bangle for all we know - but you came on here posting a rather confusing ad blurb about your firm and posted a rendering that’s up to par with what the average college student is capable of, and below what some of the visualization pros are doing. The fact that you call out that youre a BSME Honors grad leads one to believe you’d be someone fresh out of school flaunting their education over their professional experience.

And for my own resume on car modelling and renderings, I started modelling cars in 1998 for video games but haven’t done anything since this rendering in 2005 while still in college: wtlw.net and that was at a time when making a fresnel/car paint shader meant programming in reflection variables in Mental Ray, not just dragging and dropping a hypershot shader. Since becoming a professional I currently use Autostudio extensively and was trained by a 20+ year vet of Alias and the auto industry.

My point is - you come back on here after the fact like you’ve been assaulted - when my original post was truly about curiousity as to what your firm was doing, since you were giving off engine specs on a rendering.

The chassis will be modified to accept C5/C6 Corvette components, including the new ZR1 LS9 supercharged V8 and rear-mounted transaxle.

This makes us perfectly suited to automotive performance and motorsports customers, where production surface quality is not a consideration.

Now looking at those two quotes above, it should make sense why I was confused whether or not you were doing renderings, or whether or not you were doing renderings of a body kit/concept car you were working on in real life. As a gearhead I was legitimately interested in knowing what this was turning into.

My original discussion of solidworks was to ask if you’re only doing visualization, why use Solidworks when there are CG apps that are faster and more versatile. And if you were actually doing production then why use Solidworks when it’s not capable of Class - A. Again, this lead me to the belief you were doing some type of inbetween such as race body work.

You got way too upset over this. Next time instead of trying to defend your work with who you’ve met with, how much experience you have, or trying to call other people out on their experience - a simple post along the lines of:

“Hey guys, were actually a group of engineers who are transitioning from engineering to design visualization. Check out some of our other work here”

Don’t say "We look forward to reading your comments as the ZR1 Camaro evolves! " and then strip your entire post from the internet after getting comments from a whopping 3 people.

No bad intentions here - but your attitude and approach was far from internet friendly.

I’m assuming this post will be closed soon anyways, so no point in discussing further.

Nate,
Yikes. I would have given honest, constructive feedback on your design and/or your use of Solidworks for automotive design but I didn’t get a chance to see the images you posted because you pulled them so quickly (within a day, and from a few sites from what I could tell!) after only a couple comments! This reaction seemed strange and I drew the only conclusions you allowed me too.

I’m relatively inexperienced, having worked only 5 years in the product design industry focused everything from small consumer products to huge industrial machines. Also, I’ve worked with much more and much less experienced people all over the country. So what? You asked for crit on a public forum and I could be a 14 year old highschooler (there are many of them on here).

Don’t get me wrong, what you are doing sounds cool, using solidworks to go against the grain in the auto industry. But as NURB mentioned, as designers, we have to ask why? because that is how we find out more information, not because we don’t like you. I am honestly curious about what your company is doing, I didn’t mean to come across sounding sarcastic if that was the case. :open_mouth: I’d still like to see the concept!

Wow, this one went old school core.

@ NURB:
Great post - allow me to explain:

We have experience in aerodynamics design and manufacture, but not “bodywork” in the traditional sense. We’ve spoken to a number of vendors regarding the ZR1 Camaro’s body modifications (and other mods) in an effort to quantify costs and develop a budget for the project, but we’re strictly a design house - everything else is outsourced. So far, we’re planning to manufacture replacement fenders and fascia, but the quarter panels will have to be bonded. Again, this would be contracted, but to make the project feasible, we’ll need one, maybe two, shops capable of handling the entire vehicle, or separate chassis/powertrain and interior/exterior duties.

ModROTORâ„¢ (or Modular Brake Rotor) is the culmination of more than a year of rigorous pencil-whipping, CFD, FEA, and our latest acquisition: genetic algorithm evolution and optimization. We are very excited. ModROTORâ„¢ will represent our first product offering, so if you can wait a day or so, we’re adding a product page to the site.

BumpSHIFTâ„¢ is an idea we’ve had since long before IKEYA (though we can’t prove that). It’s a mechanism that converts H-pattern shifters to sequential, similar to the shifting systems in touring cars, WRC, etc. However, our design is radically different than the IKEYA or FEELER offerings, using a far more efficient gearbox, rather than cams and linkages. I’d like to have a functional prototype sometime this summer. I’m a MINI owner, and fellow enthusiasts are burning my doors down for this one.

Again, our website is very new, and under continual development, so I apologize for the lack of information.

Regards,

Nathan S. Allen, Principal
Nathan S. Allen Design
nate@nathansallen.com

Real mini’s come with a roll cage and stage 3 kit :stuck_out_tongue:

Nice, I do love it when you see man in shed enterprises do something cool, keep up the good work guys, really love it.

Very cool stuff. I’ve always been a fan of sequential manual shifting. I always wanted the M3 that was offered a few years ago with the SMG.

Keep us informed of where you guys are if you can. I think a lot of us enjoy learning about the trials and tribulations other businesses (especially small design houses, or small companies bringing products to market) are going through.

Thanks for the reply.

Dude…nice rendering.