Change of attitude

I live in London, some members of the muslim community have complained about people watching them in the tube, and I really do understand the point, I know that muslim does not equal terrorist, but on the other hand if they tell you : alll the people in a red tshirt do not carry a bomb, but 90 percent of the peolple who carry a bomb wear a red tshirt, could you possibly help not being alert when a red t-shirted person walks in?
I am a bit worried with the way I think, Do you link this line of thinking with racist attitudes?
Thnx

Are you racist if you avoid snakes because they might bite you?

What about a german shepherd? Would you run up and pet it?

Probably not because you know from past experience that those things might cause you harm.

It is human nature to put things into categories and title them. Use your judgement when it comes to people. If you see a muslim who is sweating his ass off chanting verses from the Koran while holding a big odd bag then I would worry. If not then sit your ass down and enjoy your more then likely terroism free life.

I think we all feel that way,

Unfortunately, that is the goal of terrorists. To change the way we see each other. To get us to be suspicious of each other until we tear ourselves apart. It has taken us a long time to build up trust with each other. Try to focus on being a good member of the community and a loving individual instead of focussing on who is or isn’t a terrorist.

Yes, I see your point, i don’t consider myself racist, and i guess it will just be a fase, like when the crazy cows, everybody was paranoid and didn’t want to touch any beef, all of us were going to die painfully, no nobody gives a damn.

How many people ended dying from that whole mad cow thing?

Was it thousands of people or what?

MEDIA HYPE. THEY OWN YOU.

Hey Rodanx,
I do agree with that, and that’s what pisses me off, there are people from minorities working real hard to tie links with other countries, and then their own people spoil it by directing the attention of the media and society on them.

Anyhow I want to send a message of peace and respect for our fellow citizens, I am very proud of how english society has been handling it so far.

Edit

Yes, it does - and a bigot. Stop and think about what you are saying? This is essentially the same fight that African Americans had to go through in the 60’s in the US.

When you judge someone based on their appearance alone, then you are being a racist. I don’t care if you call it ‘profiling’ or whatever the next media buzzword is - it is racism.

Imagine this scenario - you are a shop owner - in a rich, suburban town, and a person of color enters the store. Do you automatically assume that they are going to steal something or rob your store? If you answered yes, because you know that there are not many people of color in this town and that a higher percentage of crimes committed by people of this specific race, then you are bigot.

If you answered like a reasonable person, you would think “look, another customer is coming in the store - I hope the spend alot of money…” STOP THINKING ABOUT THE NEGATIVES ALL THE TIME!

We are not talking about poisonous snakes here we are talking about people. Realize that there is a difference!

“It is human nature to put things into categories and title them. Use your judgement when it comes to people. If you see a muslim who is sweating his ass off chanting verses from the Koran while holding a big odd bag then I would worry. If not then sit your ass down and enjoy your more then likely terroism free life.”

I never said to judge people, I pointed out that there is more telling signs that someone is messed up and planning shit then just there race or religion.

READ DEEPER, THINK

What are you saying here? ‘their own people’ what the hell does that mean? That just because you share a skin color, or a birthplace then you are the same as someone else…

The majority of serial murders are white men in thirties - are those your people? Are they spoiling it for you?

Are you saying that if a terrorist was a white male, then we should ‘profile’ all white males, just becasue?? Obviously not!

What about Timothy McVeigh from the Okalahoma City Bombing in the US, or Ted Kaczynski the Unabomber? (sorry, not too up to date on affairs in England, but I think you catch my drift here…)

[b]Yes, it does - and a bigot. Stop and think about what you are saying? This is essentially the same fight that African Americans had to go through in the 60’s in the US.

[i]Nope, sorry bro, you’re wrong. he’s not a bigot and he’s not racist. Racism is acting out negetively on a preconceived prejudice. The human brain cannot possibly handle all of the information thrown at it during any given day, so it categorizes things so it can move on to the next job. If I stopped and analyzed every single dog I ran into (is this one nice, what kind of behavior does it have, etc), I’d never get anything done. if I see a doberman pincher, I generally steer clear because of a negetive stereotype associated with that breed. Am I being negetive towards the animal? Heck no, but I’m covering my ass. As long as I don’t do anything bad towards the animal based on my stereotype, then I’m not being racist.

The terrorists dont’ want us eyeing each other. They want us the hell out of their homeland. I’d feel the same if another country invaded here. Desperate people do desparate things. Certainly dont’ agree with their actions, but they arent’ doing anything worse than what we’ve been doing with laser-guided missiles.[/b][/i]

When you judge someone based on their appearance alone, then you are being a racist. I don’t care if you call it ‘profiling’ or whatever the next media buzzword is - it is racism. ]Nope, wrong.[/size]

"Are you saying that if a terrorist was a white male, then we should ‘profile’ all white males, just becasue?? Obviously not! "

I hope you see the problem with your premise…

Exactly “A” terroist, one or two where white americans, not 10 or 15,000 of them.

Generally speaking, most terrorist are Muslim or Arabic nationality. That is not racist. That is fact.

Most people do not treat arabs/muslims as terrorists so I think you are going nowhere with your argument.

You are not a racist or a biggot. The fact that you are asking the question shows that you are concerned about treating people fairly.

As far as 6ix goes with this quote:

‘The terrorists dont’ want us eyeing each other. They want us the hell out of their homeland. I’d feel the same if another country invaded here. Desperate people do desparate things."

I have these words for you:

Spain
Sudan (Arab North vs. Christian South)
Nigeria
Balkans States (SE Europe)
Russia (Chechnya region)
Isreal
Iraq
India vs. Pakastan
China vs. Muslim seperatist (extreme SW region)
Thailand (southern muslims vs. buddist)
Indonesia (Bali, etc)
Phllippinese (mostly on the southern islands)

I know, I know, Christians this…Crusaders that…

Quick history bite:

Muslim invasion of Europe (Spain)= 711

First Crusade= 1095

What’s that? The Muslim invasion of Europe was 384 years before the first crusade? Can’t be. Christianity is always the evil bad guy.

Back to Lon’s question. Don’t be worried with the way you think. That community will have to live with a little extra scrutiny for a while. Either until things settle down, or all hell breaks loose. It’s their call. They can police their own communities, or someone else can do it for them. Political correctness can be just as ignorant and deadly as racism, and just as ugly.

Rodanx86 has a good point about being a good member of the community. But then says you shouldn’t focus on who or who isn’t a terrorist. Well, I think that you are not focusing on who is or isn’t a terrorist, but being aware of your surroundings is always a good practice. Of course, if some religious fanatic has a bomb in his backpack, what are you going to be able to do about it when the first thing you know about it is, that lady that was just sitting next to you on the bus is now in pieces all over the inside of the bus and your ears are bleeding? No, just give a stupid smile to everyone you meet and don’t listen to that voice in your head that tells you that something just isn’t right. That is called denial and it’s good for you. That way, you can go through life dumb and happy and gettin’ along with everyone.

If that’s fact, explain why.

No wait, allow me, US intervnetionalism.

THE NEGATIVES ARE 53 DEAD PEOPLE !!! and hundreds injured, and that just in the london bombings!!!
I did not talk about coloured=muggers, so don’t put your words in my mouth.

Talking about paranoia, and not a groundless one mate, because as someone said previously, it’s just very few the white conversed bombers.

if you are scared, the terrorists have won

Someone else’s actions do not justify any response you feel like giving.
Look at ghandi, he wasn’t advising people to be suicide bombers.

So by your statement Greenman, you agree that killing civillians is an acceptable form of protest?

you should feel ashamed.

Disgusted.

"Nope, sorry bro, you’re wrong. he’s not a bigot and he’s not racist. Racism is acting out negetively on a preconceived prejudice. "

Please tell me how violating the civil liberties of those of middle eastern descent (hell, sooner or later, it will be everyone) is NOT acting out negatively based on a preconcieved prejudice.

ignorance is bliss, I guess. lets just lock all of those crazy middle easterners within the borders of their little countries put up an electric fence, and then drop in all of the ‘suspected terrorists’ then we can just stop worrying about it.