career change

Hi everyone, I’m 29 yrs old and am thinking of a career change to industrial design. I have no design background whatsoever. Is it too late for me to go into this career? I just have a BS in Biology.

hee hee I’m 24 and I’m thinking of a career change OUT of ID… but for personal reasons, not because it’s a bad carerr.

No seriously, ID is an awesome career choice, and with a background in Biology you might have an edge designing scientific or medical equipment, if that’s what you want.

Advice to a someone looking to change would be to draw, a lot. read up on design, talk to designers (you’re doing that now so good for you) and really learn what the career change will mean for you outside of the fact that you won’t be doing biology. How will becoming an ID change how you live? where you live? retirement options etc.

If it’s something you really want to do, and you think you have the chops, go for it.

Oh, and you should investigate schools. You might be able to go straight to masters programs w/o the background in art though you’d have to take some undergrad classes as pre-reqs.

I don’t necessarily think this is the best way to prepare, but it is an option if you don’t want to do the 4 year thing. I worked with grad students that came from liberal arts backgrounds when i was an undergrad and i think that sometimes it is hard to play catch-up in the 2-3 years you get to complete your masters.