Career Change... to ID...?

Samalishious is absolutely CORRECT!!

Listen to his method. He is right on target. I have been educating myself on my own time. i even agree with the idea of building your portfolio from the ground up.

I remember after graduation I basically threw out my portfolio and started all over from scratch.

I networked with people in the bizz, learned the preferred design style of the time, and got to work. It really paid off.

Network with people that have been designing for a while not grads that have been out of school for 3 to 5 years. They are still learning and may view you as competition. Most of my friends are like 10 to 20 years older than me. [/b]

Exactly how has it paid off Guest. and Salicious… can you elaborate?

I wonder, are you are designing very competitive products at a Lunar or IDEO or are you doing ID grunt work for a gas station knick-knack product?

Im not trying to be sarcastic; Im curious what kind of projects you could get to work on with this approach

It paid off because I got a job shortly after graduation. I design for a major company better than Lunar or Idea. Funny, I’ve heard of IDEO but Lunar is new to me.

DON’T TRY TO BE AN INDUSTRIAL DESIGN IF U DON’T HAVE ANY REAL PASSION FOR IT…BECAUSE YOU HAVE NOT SEEN COMPETITION LIKE THIS IN YOUR LIFE …E.E is not about talent…it is about what you know…CAN YOU DRAW ? I MEAN REALLY DRAW? NOT JUST REPRODUCING IMAGES BUT EXPRESSING YOUR IDEAS VISUALLY SO THAT ANYBODY CAN UNDERSTAND …AND WOULD YOU LOVE TO DO IT FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE…? THOSE QUESTIONS ARE ONLY 10% OF WHAT YOU SHOULD BE ASKING YOURSELF…THERE IS MORE LIKE :ARE U GOOD WITH YOUR HANDS …CAN YOU BUILT ANYTHING…DO YOU UNDERSTAND COLOR? …DO YOU HAVE GOOD TASTE, STYLE, and COMMUN SENSE…ANY OF THOSE THINGS RING A BELL? R U CRAZY ABOUT PEOPLE AND HOW THEY INTERACT WITH OBJECTS? CAN YOU TAKE IT WHEN PEOPLE TELL YOUR IDEA SUCKS WHEN YOU SPEND 40 HOUR ON IT…? IF YOU SAY YES TO ALL THE QUESTIONS YOU SHOULD BE A DESIGNER…GOOD LUCK …ONE MORE THING FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION…

Although I like the post overall, your comment about EE is completely ignorant. The idea the creativity only lies in art or consumer design is completely absurd. Without creativity (yes, using what I know) engineers would be complete failures… undable to design those insane devices with which IDers encapsulate their work. Engineers design… we’re all part of the creative class… it’s more than aesthetics.

Interesting discussion.

I’m a mechanical engineer with a little over 3 years mechanical design experience. I’d like to work as a mechanical engineer doing engineering work for an ID consulting firm. I’m not interesting in trying to provide aesthetic input as I know that’s not a part of my skill-set.

If anyone could enlighten me on the role of design engineering in this type of firm it would be very helpful. For example: are the ME’s there strictly to deal with manufacturability and functionality after the design is near completion or are their services integrated sooner in the design cycle?

Any advice or insights are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

design engineering…is not industrial design it’s more part of the enginneering field area…try going to engineer website maybe they can tell you …

design engineering…is not industrial design it’s more part of the enginneering field area…try going to engineer website maybe they can tell you …

engineering should play its role from start on. (designers who don’t use engineers are like racecar drivers without mechanics. they show off their winner’s cup when they win but blame it on the mechanic when their car crashes).

so if you’re interested in doing engineering for a design entity you need to find a company that knows how this relation works on different projects. also, some engineers well versed while others play it by the book.

design has an outside and an inside, that’s pretty well known to most people in the field. sometimes engineers do a very good function yet niether inside nor outside complements what has been achieved for the use function through engineering. for instance they do a perfect door for an automobile and it is flawless when it comes to what it’s supposed to do, opening and closing, then you go sit in the car and find out the door handle is not ergonomically positioned, the door is too heavy, the attachment configuration is obsecure, etc. that’s not good engineering when it comes to design.

so an engineer entering field of design must develop a sense of practicality and ease of use which surpasses the attention span of the most simplistic designer or even user.

it could be a difficult job considering designers will get all the claps at the end and all the engineers get is a freaky insider applause!

better be prepared for it.

even worse than designers are the marketing people specially the ones who want to be the CEO or some other top exec position. CCOs who are politically oriented could be jerkoffs too.

avoid these three types at all cost. find designers, marketing people, and execs who understand engineering, design, and marketing and most importantly those who use their brains instead of their rulers!

Thanks for the insight as to how these two fields interact. It was very helpful.