Car interior question

Hi all
does anyone know of anything that explains the different perspectives you can sketch car interiors from? And ways of constructiing car interior sketches? I have had a look on CDN and all everyone there who asks gets the answer just look at other people work, but half the work online seems to be - oh this is my first sketch - and it is hard to find good examples of car interior sketches and i haven’t found anything in the way of tutorials on car interior sketching, just exterior.
Any advice would be great.

i couldn’t find your rendering on your site, but this drawthrough has some pretty good car interiors from various perspectives, and some tutorials on general rendering.

http://www.drawthrough.com/sketches/index.html

The interior of a vehicle is full of functionality. In general (that means in not all instances) you need to define the functions and limitations of the interior. Say for instance you want a nav screen, a floor mounted shifter, captains chairs, an overhead storage area, under seat storage bins, heads up display, fold flat seats, tray table seat backs, etc… See where I’m going with this. All this stuff adds up, defines the function, and is the underlaying skeleton of the interior that you need to tie together with a cohesive theme.

At that point, then you apply a “primary” theme to tie all these functions together. These themes should pull on the character of the vechicle you are trying to convey such as sports car vs. luxury utility. If you’re dealing with a specific brand you need to apply heritage from the history of the brand such as Porsche vs. Hummer. Each brand usually has a certain form vocabulary so apply that too.

Usually students do more form searching (styling) OR more function definition (design). Its the industrial designer that can do both that is invaluable to a company.

As far as what perspective to use, you need to use perspectives that show off the functions of the interior. Zoom in on the details. The details should have a common “secondary” theme. You know, like some interesting type of knurling on a knob. The form language of buttons should be carried all thruout the interior. Maybe its an interesting useage of a new material. Whatever it is that you dream up, make it consistent thru the whole interior. Usually you need that “hero” or “hollywood” view. A hero view is one that shows off the I.P., doors, console, and seats. Its usually a tipped down 3/4 view with a perspective that shows the doors. Sometimes you have to either eliminate the seatbacks or at least lay them down because they block the doors and console. In this case you have to make sure you have a detail sketch of the seat. A hollywood view is a more dramatic and dynamic perspective view, maybe with a fish eye, some foreshortening, throw in some motion blur and speed lines. This perspective is much more creative and brings out the character and mood of the interior. Think of it as the movie poster or billboard that will sell the design.

Construction of the interior relys on the package. How may occupants, places for storage, drivetrain, etc. effect the layout of the cab. Make sure you’re keeping the customer in mind when laying this out. Not only what the customer wants but what the customer needs. The customer needs to be able to reach the functions and be comfortable doing it. This is where you need to apply human factors. Human factors is where humans interface with functions of an interior. Just use common sense here. Don’t go putting the shifter on the passenger side. If you have a touch screen, make sure you can touch it while driving. At the same time, don’t put the screen in the drivers face. Once again, use common sense. I recommend doing some orthographic views of the overall layout so you know where you need the building blocks. Definitly a top view and a side view of the package. Then you’ll sketch this layout in perspective.

Hope this helps. I’m sure I’ve missed something as interiors are very complex.

Try not to be distracted by the exteriors in this image but, this shows some of the “hero” types of views. With this interior, it was important to show a view from the passenger side to understand how the surfaces wrap from the console to the cluster. The seats are just ghosted so they don’t cover up the flow of the design from the I.P. to the doors and console.

Here is another tipped down 3/4 view showing the overall theme.

This sketch is good because it shows the importance of the flow thru console to the back seat. It also shows the relationship of the front door to the rear door.

This link shows how the sketches relate to the final product. Notice the detail sketches trying to find that all important “secondary” theme. And don’t forget the seat sketch.

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1925&cat=3046

nice stuff, thanks cre8tiv1

Wow, a lot to consider, i don’t think that i realised how complex interiors are - thanks for all of that cre8tiv1

Huge props to cre8tiv1 - great work, especially that Audi piece.

People who whine in the Design Employment forum should look at your work and then wonder why they don’t get called into interviews! :wink:

That funny, unintentionally. All of those sketches are from studio designers at brands (not Creativ1), but props to him for anwswering the question with visuals.