Can you explain the DAAP Co-op Schedule?

Hey,
Can any one who is at or went to DAAP explain to me the scheduling of the Co-op program.
This is how I understood the program. First year is foundation, you get the summer after first year off, end of second year you begin your first internship. From there on out you rotate between one quarter internship with one quarter schooling.

Is this right? Does this mean that you are either on internship or in school all year round after your first year?

Thanks!
h_u

yup, that’s how it works . . . doesn’t sound so hot never having time off, but trust me, your co-op quarters will feel like vacations after those intense school quarters

Cool! Thanks deevee! That’s actually how I was hoping it worked out.

Another question: what do most people end up doing for their freshman summers? How many people end up interning? Is it possible for you to take summer classes and work ahead?

Thanks!

Honestly, there may be a few folks who interned during their freshmen summer but most don’t. My daughter, for example, took three courses and got rid of her gen ed requirements. Also grading in the summer tends to be a bit higher than during the regular year.

Actually i’m currently in my sophomore year right now and i can tell you most of us just went home for the summer it’s nice to have some time off because the schedule is so hectic during the year and most of us had jobs we could go back to at home and just went back to make some money… i do know of one girl in my class that did do an internship with a company in her hometown.

so if you’re from out of town and end up going to UC and you don’t mind your hometown just go back, it’ll be the last actual summer vacation you’ll have, and if you do live in cincinnati or close then you might wanna get some electives out of the way but just to let you know classes are really different in the summer, you only take them for about 3 weeks but you take them m-f instead of a couple days a week.

if you have any more questions about the program let me know

Does this Co-op program apply to all DAAP majors?

SAMink asks ,“if coop applies to all programs at DAAP?”

It applies to all programs except fine arts and art history. Here are a list of programs that have required coops:

Bachelor of Science in Architecture
Master of Architecture
Interior Design
Digital Design
Fashion Design: Design Track
Fashion Design: Product Development Track
Graphic Design
Industrial Design: Design Track
Industrial Design: Transportation Track
Urban Planning

You can check these out yourself by going to:http://www.daap.uc.edu/about/coop

Also, here is some information about the coop program:
Basically, this program provides three months of carefully planned professional practice assignments alternating with three-month study periods. The year-round schedule permits students who are majoring in Architecture, the design programs and Urban Planning to have six quarters of meaningful professionally related experience before graduation. The professional practice assignments assist each student in developing an understanding of human relationships and in learning to work with others as a team. Students’ individual growth during this practice experience is enhanced by the realization that in addition to demonstrating theoretical knowledge they are learning to become an integral part of the working community and developing an awareness of the interrelationship between the academic and professional worlds. Thus, during the college years, students obtain firsthand knowledge of professional practices, expectancies and opportunities. At the same time they are offered a realistic test of their career interests and aptitudes. Participation in the program enables students to make more intelligent selections of post-graduate positions. As graduates, their professional practice experience makes them more valuable to employers and increases their qualifications for more responsible career opportunities.

Schedule
A typical year consists of 21 weeks of study, 26 weeks of correlated experience, and five weeks of vacation. Full-time classroom attendance is scheduled for three quarters in the freshman year and for the first two quarters of the sophomore year. Students with satisfactory scholastic records begin the practice phase in either spring or summer quarter of the sophomore year. Once students initiate the practice phase of the Professional Practice Program, they are required to complete on a regular alternating basis, all scheduled practice quarters until graduation. Students are placed on professional practice assignments by members of the professional practice faculty and meet with their co-op faculty advisor in a series of individual conferences. Through regular reports, employers evaluate students and students evaluate their work experiences. These evaluations are used as a basis for counseling and advising students and to assess and guide student learning from their experiences.

Companies
Professional practice assignments are made in over 1,300 businesses, industries, research organizations, and governmental agencies located throughout the United States. The heaviest concentration of assignments tends to be in the Midwest. Students, while on the job, are subject to all regulations of the company by which they are employed, and all applicable labor and tax laws. Earnings of students are usually determined by location and type of work experience and are received by students directly from their employers. The university makes no guarantee as to practice assignments or earnings, but does make every effort to place students to their best educational advantage.

Academic Achievement
An Achievement Certificate for Excellence of Performance on the professional practice assignments is awarded to those students who satisfactorily complete the maximum number of professional practice quarters available. A Certificate of Performance on professional practice assignments is awarded to those students who complete, in a satisfactory manner, all remaining practice quarters at the time of entrance into the program, but fewer than the maximum number.

Requirements to Begin Co-op
To qualify for admittance to the program a student must be in good academic standing and be willing to accept assignments to any geographic location within the continental United States, to either a section I or section II schedule, and be free of any deficiencies or restrictions, academic or other, that would interfere with such an assignment. Students in the Professional Practice Program are required to continue the alternation of academic quarters with professional practice quarters until graduation. Students transferring into the program must satisfactorily complete all remaining quarters on an alternating basis and must be available for a minimum of four professional practice quarters.

Students desiring to participate in the Professional Practice Program must complete the professional development course as designated on their major-field schedules as prerequisite for participation in the program. Transfer students who have not previously completed the professional development course must enroll in the course in the earliest possible school section when it is offered.

as far as your summer off after your freshman year, I think most people go back home and try to have some sort of summer vacation. I spent my summer back in my hometown, worked at my part-time high school job, and got a couple gen eds out of the way at our community college. I wouldn’t worry about getting an internship just yet, you’ll have plenty of those during the next 4 years. if you do happen to get an internship during the summer, that’s great, but just remember it’s probably the last summer vacation you’ll ever have . . . yeah, kind of sucks to grow up, doesn’ it.