Can we get a monthly sneaker rendering contest up & runn

i’ve been watching things slowly deteriorate over at Kickguide.com in terms how they choose their finalists and just want to know if it was at all possible to get the same type of thing up and running on this forum. due to the amount of people in the design field that view this and related forums, i would be willing to bet that the feedback and suggestions for improvement would be more constructive than the “get an application for mcdonalds, your design was weak”-condescending remarks we get from the so-called professional. just an idea i’ve been kicking around.

the benefits of this would be that it would not only help us hone our skills, but for the college students, it would help fill your portfolio and with working with a deadline.

btw, i am not a bitter sneaker head who is just mad i never got picked as a finalist…i’ve never even attempted to enter…just in case anyone out there is a cynic =p

I’ll contact the core77 admins and see if we can set something official up. In the mean time, feel free to start sketch session and threads within this topic, or the sketching topic.

You will get better feed back on this site- that is for sure. that is why I never really post on Niketalk it is even worse you get not much feedback other than a smile. but each forum has there strengths an weakness.

I suggest people post there work. but to get a contest running on here with it? I am not sure if you will have as many entries as you have over there on kiskguide. more professionals on this site-many not with footwear an I am sure there is not alot of freetime to do sneakers. as an example the xbox sketch session-kinda had alot of people talking but didnt come out with many entries-although the doodling thread remains full- so I guess just try a thread on sneaker sketches an see what peoples respones are.

I wonder what a core77 prize would be?

Good point there about not having time. I’ve wanted to jump in on the kicksguide contests many many times but never have made the time to do it. I already have so much work to do for my employer, it would be a waste to give it away on the net for free. If I sketch anything footwear related in my free time I bring it right to work. I am really feeling the desire to show off :laughing: but I don’t feel comfortable posting any of my paid work. I don’t exactly own it.

true, i wouldn’t do it either if i were a professional. it’s like asking MJ to play some pick-up right after coming home from work. it’s just a misdirected use of energy, time and in the end, money.

i was suggesting it mainly for us people not in the field yet and not holding down the 9-5’s. it would be the perfect venue in terms of forums too, being in the middle of all you professionals.

as for awards and such, critique from people who know what they are talking about would be more invaluable than a t-shirt could ever be. i mean, hearing, “improve your form” from a 17-year old is one thing, but to hear it and then have it be expounded on by an industrial designer is another.

even for a professional- I think showing work-well you dont want your ideas to be taken- an so on, an you figure all the shoes you do you want to keep for work. but me personally I draw dress shoes an athletic casuals all day-it can be refreashing to try an do something diferent. that is why i am jumping on it. i am less worried about a winning contest-I just want to sketch an post an get peoples opinions an try shyt. thats all. but if i was in more athletics i am sure it would be a diferent case.

I get excited seeing sketches an work- at all levels.

would like to see professionals post too. I know time is short especially with a family an or bf or gf, an work, but I think it is good to see many levels of experience an talent.

an agreed the information an help is worth alot more than a t-shirt.

uno

as for awards and such, critique from people who know what they are talking about would be more invaluable than a t-shirt could ever be. i mean, hearing, “improve your form” from a 17-year old is one thing, but to hear it and then have it be expounded on by an industrial designer is another.

why does it matter who it comes from if it is a valid criticism? some of those 17-year olds are very talented, the key imo is taking something from every critique, if you walk in to a situation feeling like, because some one may not be as talented or have as much knowledge or wisdom as a pro that can not give you a valid critique you missing something…

i would not see the point of kicking off a contest here as there are nearly as many interested peeps, (a friend had been talking about doing something like this) some kind of sketch collaboration would be interesting, like someone posts a sketch of an idea and then someone takes that sketch and flips, and on and on, that might be interesting thing to do here…

why does it matter who it comes from if it is a valid criticism? some of those 17-year olds are very talented, the key imo is taking something from every critique, if you walk in to a situation feeling like, because some one may not be as talented or have as much knowledge or wisdom as a pro that can not give you a valid critique you missing something…

in no way did i make that statement with the emphasis on age. if you keep reading, i validate that statement and support it with a reason.
yes, i’ll give you the point that age makes no difference in terms of knowledge, but it does in experience. if someone with experience critiques your work, they can tell you why they think that way, and with real-world experiences to draw from.
now compare that to if someone with less experience or no experience tells you that “the shape seems off and they can’t quite put their finger on it”. which would you find more helpful?

I’ll kick off with some show and tell. Competition is a very healthy thing.
These are some sketches i rammed off in my spare time.
1 hb pencil
1 6b pencil
putty rubber (essential)
Cheap 99p pack of felt pens
produced on HP non glossy plotter paper.

I am not in the footware industry, I am a domestic interior products kind of guy.
I just like drawing shoes for fun. In these sketches i am developing oversised ABS
tongues, I like the proportions.

if someone with experience critiques your work, they can tell you why they think that way, and with real-world experiences to draw from.
now compare that to if someone with less experience or no experience tells you that “the shape seems off and they can’t quite put their finger on it”. which would you find more helpful?

both. that is my point, granted a pro is going be able to expound more, but as long as it is a valid criticism, it is helpful the way i look at it…

just critiques from different vantage points…

I mostly can’t post footwear stuff, because, like Robin pointed out, if I’m sketchin shoes, I’m making sure I’m gettin paid. I post a lot of product and trans sketches because it is something different from what I sketch at work and it keeps me loose.

I will post whatever biased advice, industry info, and opinions that I can though.

And getting straight to that:

@Mogus, thanks for posting your ideas. I think the extended tongue thing is cool, but I think the idea is suffering from out of proportion sketches. Like automotive, footwear is all about proportion, and also materials. Something like that tongue would most likely not be molded in ABS, but in a soft, injected urethane (like a watch strap, but slightly stiffer durometer maybe), thin enough so it can be sewn directly to the rest of the tongue.

to contradict my statement above, as I often like to do, but usually not in the same post, I quickly sketched up an overlay of your idea. Similar design, minus the overt Puma cues, in proportion and showing materials and posible stitch lines. just food for thought.

Keep em coming guys.

I appreciate the feedback. I like your interpretation yo. I get your point about describing the materials.

I accept that some of the sketches may be a little out of proportion, but that is kind of the point of my idea. Perhaps my sketches are a little misleading and not communicating the concept effectivley. When I said tongue, I should have said 2 tongues. the oversized tongue is independant of the other and is deliberatley positioned further towards the toe.

try to imagine that you have removed the laces from your shoe and pulled the tongue out, thats the style i am pursuing, A urethane with a stiffer shore would be good, but I think a glossy translucent abs would be nice.

Q - would there be seperate injection moulds for each shoe size? or is there alternative measures taken to reduce the amount of moulds required?

Here is another sketch that shows the tongue idea better

much clearer. The tongu could be made out of a glossy urethane as well Mogus, think of the shiny injected heel counters on some of the prestos.

Then that tongue extension would be stitched down to the upper shell. You can see in this shoe, the Hurache Light, that the Urethane is tucked under an overlay of leather and stitched:

Sometimes you’ll see a urethane heel counter like on the below air max, or the above presto with no stitching, but this is because it is captured between the midsole and out sole very securely:

You are exactly right about the molds. It’s a real problem on shoe like the Ultra Flight (below) where there is no way to avoid making a seperate large mold for each half size, and each size! You looking at about 60 molds to amertize! With your concept though, the part can be semetrical, and they could use the same part for every whole size or even less, cutting you down to about 12 molds.

Is that tooooo much info?

Thats cool yo, I can’t get enough info about manufacturing stuff. I would like to get hold of some exploded shoe images that show all of the patterns and mouldings.

The amount of moulds used is incredible. Poor cad opperators. There are some sick images of the moulds used for mark newson nike shoe on his website, they are stunning, I like the moulds more than the shoe.

There are some sick images of the moulds used for mark newson nike shoe on his website, they are stunning, I like the moulds more than the shoe.

word! the moulds for those shoes are cooler than a mofo…

that ultimate sneaker thing on page 2 is hilarious