Can some designer please steal my bicycle idea?

Thank you.

I’m not a designer, but I want someone to steal this idea.

It’s a revolutionary (ahem) fun bicycle that works. It’s an extreme sports product for cross-country fun. It is radically foldable too.

It’s a biomimetic concept, based on the biology of insect legs, which in many cases are springs.

Inspiration also came from the R-hex, the most powerful running robot, based on the cockroach. Check it out, here:

http://www.martinbuehler.net/projects.html
Check bottom left for a nice video, especially near the end you see it running fast

Nice insect robot, very flexible, very fast - google images

More inspiration came from the polypropylene / carbon prosthetics used by amputee athletes, who easily outrun the fastest sprinters.

Like so:

My bike - as I said I’m not a designer:
my bike

the “wheel” can be folded up [see top right in the picture]; which is not possible with ordinary foldable bicycles, so this opens up new perspectives.

The bike works, I have built a raw prototype. A real prototype would work very well.

It’s very fun to ride, and you can do more than ride: you can jump very nicely.

Also, if you want to start riding, you “jumpstart”, very nice and a big showelement.

Anyway, please COMMENT, then STEAL, please.

Muchas gracias.

Interesting, reminds me of the Michelin tire:

I’m wondering about the comfort level of this wheel. I bet it’s going to feel like I am riding through the middle of a train track or something.

I won’t just limit this to being a bike wheel. It’s a wheel, so it can fit into many other contexts, like roller blade and skate boards. Perhaps even a whole new equipment designed to emphasize the fun that this wheel can provide!

Also, the first reaction I will have after stealing something is… RUN with it!

I would say: RIDE with it!!

Seriously though, the wheel is quite comfortable because the spokes overlap in a nice “cadence” (don’t know the English word). The movement is very fluid even though it makes a gentle flapping noise.

Obviously, the nice thing about it is that the wheel is a also an active suspension system.

I don’t see it working for skateboards.

Anyways, please RIDE with it!!

Well, technically, you have now made this public domain, so anyone can run/ride with the idea. It is, officially, no longer patentable.

That’s the goal, indeed. :laughing: I don’t have the resources, nor the time, nor the skill to patent, design or execute the idea. So I hope someone else does.

I hope I can some day ride a commercial version of my bike. That’s all. :slight_smile:

PLEASE DO SOMETHING WITH IT!!

Kind of a cool idea – it looks fun anyway, but I have to wonder about the practical benefits over a pneumatic tire.

The ability to fold it up is cool, but doesn’t seem like a big enough advantage to counteract the much greater rolling friction and technical obstacles.

The similarity to a sprinter’s prosthetic is kind of moot, since no forward motion is generated through compression of the legs once its attached to a wheel hub.

What would be totally cool is a “smart” version of the wheel concept, where each spoke constantly adjusts its length to compensate for rough surfaces. Neal Stephenson imagines a skateboard wheel with this feature in Snow Crash. If you could make it work with a bike, it’d cream the best suspension system out there, and probably revolutionize mountain biking…

oh man, i totally forgot about that book.

Interesting.

Only problem: on a bike you don’t want your wheel to flex , or spring at all… it will suck up your pedal stroke and counteract the forward motion of your pedaling. tiring you out quickly.

You need to some how isolate the compression and extension of teh feet, or preload the spring so that it only compresses and extends with an outside force (ie from the riding surface and not teh rider) for it to work efficiently.

Someone already stole my bicycle idea :slight_smile:

You might remember this from 2005:

Well, I got a kick out of this student entry for the Australian Student Design competition:

http://student.designawards.com.au/application_detail.jsp?status=2&applicationID=923

Well, strangely enough, it depends on how you move your body on the bike.

If you just sit still and pedal, the spokes are not that flexible and translate in a rather ok forward ride. The spokes are just hard enough to guarantee this. If you start moving up and down with your body, then of course you get a bumpy ride, but a controlled one.

Reminder: it’s a cross-country bike. Or a show-bike, for fun.

But I understand it might not be feasible immediately to make something of it. Lots of technical issues to overcome, no doubt.

Anyways, it’s yours, hope someone can think along the same line… :sunglasses:

Poor man, theft without prior notice sucks!!

Is there anything you can do?

Also, I’m a newbee: is theft common amongst designers? I mean like really stealing someon’s Eureka! moment…? Drawing inspiration from others, ok, but stealing without asking first - common business?

I had forgotten about Snow Crash also - deifinitly on the must read list for industrial designers.

A slight detour from the original thread…

Pattern Reconition by William Gibson is the most Design relevant book I have ever read.

interesting, adventurous: trying to improve the wheel! Which is what you have, a new wheel design, not a bicycle design.

Front and back wheels would need to be synchronized. Consider failure mode; what would happen when one ‘spoke’ breaks.

Thx for the comment.

I think the ‘spoke’ can’t break. It’s really quite strong. But if it does, you will probably be able to continue driving.

This should be researched and tested of course. Feel free to do so… :laughing: but lemme know what you found out.

What about the breaking system for these wheels? I can’t realy thing of a way to have breaks on it or else the rider would fly off the bicycle, unless you thaught of a more convenient breaking system.

By the way I’ll try to sketch something using these wheels and if I get something interesting I’ll let you know!